[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parting shot at Daunte

MikesVikes

Culpepper was an idiot this offseason, but the Vikings are still going to miss the hell out of him in my opinion. The guy is an amazing talent on the field. Not a perfect QB by any means, but if you think that Randy is the only reason for his talent then you just didn't watch many Viking football games.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Cpep tells you about his knee is nothing but optimistic BS. Now I'm not a Dr., but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I can tell you for certain that CPep won't be ready for opening day, which means he'll have no camp, which means if he eventually is able to start, it will be mid season in a new system with new players. He should be stud-like. :D

1371983[/snapback]

Wow, I missed alot while I was at work today. Way to fly the Dolphin flag FJ, DJ and FS. :D

Same system, same terminology, new players. He's not a rookie so adjusting to the new players while being a bit difficult, won't be out of reach.

Listen the Dolphins needed a new QB. There is no doubt about that. They worked the crap out of Brees on Mon. and the Dolphins' team doctors and coaches were really worried about the extent of Brees' injury and it's prolonged effects. He wanted a TON of guarenteed money, 10 million this year with a 12 million option next year. That's fracking CRAZY. Your gonna fork over that much money to a QB who's THROWING arm could be damaged forever? No way. So we get Dante for a 2nd rounder. Big F'ing deal. If he can come back to what he was, it will be the STEAL of the 2006 FA period. If not, so what? We lost a 2nd rounder. Is it a gamble? Yes, most definately. Was it worth it? Oh yeah. If you think taking a shot at a QB like Dante for a 2nd rounder is too much of a gamble, your stupid and know nothing about professional football. Maybe it doesn't work out. Big deal, were out a 2nd rounder. Maybe it does and he flourishes in the system he flourished in before. Maybe he needs a strong willed coach like Saban to take him under his wings and give him the guidence he needs to be a team leader and a great player and maybe lead my beloved Fins to a SB victory. I know I feel more optomistic about our QB position than I have in a long long time.

Oh and someone was talking about making a bet? I'll bet you that NO doesn't pick up that $12 Million option on Brees next year.

Culpepper was an idiot this offseason, but the Vikings are still going to miss the hell out of him in my opinion. The guy is an amazing talent on the field. Not a perfect QB by any means, but if you think that Randy is the only reason for his talent then you just didn't watch many Viking football games.

1372255[/snapback]

The voice of sanity.

1372255[/snapback]

Yup - I agree he is good and he sure exposed himself what kind of person he is. He pissed off all the Vikings fans by pulling all the Athenae he did. (He was scheduled to make what - 10 mil this year) I wish there was a way they could have come to a consensual agreement. Obviously Daunte wanted out.

The Vikings parting shot:

Vikings, Culpepper couldn’t work out problems

Owner Zygi Wilf said the Vikings did everything to keep Daunte Culpepper; the QB said his status on team was unclear.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: March 16, 2006 – 12:12 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story Related Content

Daunte Culpepper called Wednesday the "halftime of my career." Vikings owner Zygi Wilf had a different term for it.

"Maybe it was a mid-football life crisis," Wilf said of a 21/2-month drama that ended with the Vikings' decision to trade Culpepper to Miami for a second-round draft choice. In an interview, Wilf said he was "clearly disappointed" to see Culpepper leave but said the team's leadership exhausted every avenue to reconcile its relationship with him.

Ultimately, Wilf said, the Vikings determined Culpepper did not want to play for them. Although Culpepper told ESPN that he never understood his long-term status with the franchise, Wilf said "Minnesota didn't seem to be in his plans."

"We thought we could find a way in which we could get Daunte to work with us," Wilf said, "and to get into the plan that we were trying to put together for our future. With everything he had gone through this past year, the injury and the incidents and everything else, getting rid of his agent, it just seemed to me that in his mind he wanted to make a change in his life and in his career."

Wilf continued: "... We tried everything we could do to accommodate but it didn't seem like he was interested in staying a Viking."

Culpepper spent Wednesday morning at the Dolphins training facility in Davie, Fla., meeting with coaches while also restructuring his contract for cap purposes. ESPN reported that his compensation will remain $8 million for 2006, but that it would come in the form of a $7 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary.

Culpepper did not address Miami reporters, and coach Nick Saban would not provide an update on Culpepper's surgically repaired right knee. But Culpepper told ESPN that he planned to start the Dolphins' season-opening game and thanked the Vikings for giving him a "fresh start."

"I kind of feel like it's halftime of my career right now," he said. "Everybody knows that the team that makes the best adjustments at halftime usually wins the game. ... [This experience] really opens your eyes up -- when you feel like you want to do the best you can and try the best you can, but you feel like it wasn't wanted, that it didn't matter.

"It was tough. But instead of getting bitter, I kind of used it as motivation and I got better. A saying that I heard a long time ago is that things that don't kill you make you better."

Although the Vikings have been discussing trade possibilities since the middle of last month, Culpepper said he planned to play for the team until it sent him an e-mail March 6 -- a response to his request for "clarity" about his status.

"I wanted to know how they saw me," he said. "I never got the clarity I was looking for. Obviously, that was a message in itself. I had to act accordingly."

Only then, Culpepper said, did he seek his departure. Although Vikings coach Brad Childress and the rest of the team's leadership denied interview requests Wednesday, Wilf said the Vikings had long ago sensed Culpepper's true intent.

"I talked to him several weeks ago," Wilf said. "Since that point in time, it didn't seem like he was willing to find a way to work things out. He didn't want to come up [from his Florida home] to rehabilitate, and he did not want to work with the coaching staff. It seemed like we had two alternatives. We could have paid him the [$6 million bonus he was due March 24] like I intended to, and tried to work with him. But he was making every effort to find a way to leave. We did our best."

Wilf said Culpepper never provided the team a reason for his discontent or why he was concerned about his status.

"You've got to ask him," Wilf said. "I just think that the combination of the injury and ... I don't know, a career crisis. He wanted a change. Maybe it's the attitude that had fallen upon him because of the boat incident. All of those different matters probably played into his decision not to try to find a way to work things out."

OK I guess it's safe to assume that ALL Viking fans couldn't be happier to see Daunte leave and Dolphin fans couldn't be happier to see him on their team.

Can we move on from this bloody pulp of a dead horse?

And in other news . . .

Daunte has announced that he'll be wearing #8 as a Dolphin.

Also . . .

Ticket Sales Rise With Addition Of Daunte...

Posted on: 2006-03-16

[sun-Sentinel] Newly-acquired Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper, showing plenty of mobility despite nursing a surgically repaired right knee, deftly avoided his introductory news conference Wednesday. However, his presence was felt from the team's ticket offices to the Las Vegas betting parlors.

Season-ticket sales, already booming coming off a resurgent 9-7 season, are skyrocketing since the Dolphins traded a 2006 second-round draft pick for the 29-year-old, three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Tuesday.

"Since the Culpepper announcement our phones have been ringing off the hook," said George Torres, senior director of corporate communications.

Las Vegas sports tout Andy Iskoe of Logical Approach said that a week ago the Stardust Hotel sports parlor had the Dolphins at 25 to 1 to win the Super Bowl. Since the trade, the offshore Pinnacle Sports Book has them at 11 to 1.

"That's a dramatic jump," Iskoe said. "It's because the public perception is that with Culpepper the Dolphins have a much greater chance."

Las Vegas sports tout Andy Iskoe of Logical Approach said that a week ago the Stardust Hotel sports parlor had the Dolphins at 25 to 1 to win the Super Bowl. Since the trade, the offshore Pinnacle Sports Book has them at 11 to 1.

"That's a dramatic jump," Iskoe said. "It's because the public perception is that with Culpepper the Dolphins have a much greater chance."

1372609[/snapback]

:D Ask Alex.

Let's recap the Vikings games leading up to the bye week last season

Wk 1 TB 24 Min 13 Daunte 233, O tds, 3 Ints Cadillac goes for 148 yards including a few long gainers.

Wk 2 Cin 37 Min 8 Daunte 236,0,5 while Palmer busts out for 337,3

Wk 3 Min 33 NO 16 Daunte has a good game against the ravaged Saints (300,3)

Wk 4 Atl 30 Min 10 Daunte 250,1,2 while Schaub finishes game for Vick

So the team scores 1 td in 3 of the 4 games before the bye week and gets spanked in the three losses badly. Daunte himself passes for 4 tds and 10 Ints.

So what does the team do next.....

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

A group of players urinates on an old lady's lawn. This is while they're heading to the love boat. She comes out of the house and says, "Do you mind doing that somewhere else?"

They tell her, "It's only water, mam." and continues.

The cops are soon after their tails.

Can you be anymore stupid?

Edited by MikesVikes

Miami is hardly ever warm and dry

What are you trying to say here? :D How does it have anything to do with what I said?(below)

"Put him out in Miami weather and what is going to happen? Surely, home games at the beginning of the season will be hot, humid, and potentially rainy."

and playing in Chicago or Green Bay in Nov and Dec is like playing in Texas  :D

1371023[/snapback]

Take a peek at DC's record in those games.

Unless you've never watched a Vikes game and/or didn't follow his behavior since the boat incident, even someone who rides the Shortbus would understand why many fans aren't too bent out of shape.

1371368[/snapback]

Good info here.

Hugh, your posts including this one lack the celebratory feel of dissing someone who definitely contributed to your team mightily over the past few seasons. Mikesvikes and others here are jumping for joy over his departure is one thing, but actually ignoring his accomplishments is another thing entirely, which is what I'm busting on.

He certainly appeared to be your answer skill-wise in 2004. What made him meltdown in 2005?  We really won't know, but his contributions from his rookie year through 2004 are substantial and should be ignored in the glee of his departure. YOU aren't doing it, but those vike fans that are are being  :D 's.

Now your offseason is spent looking for another QB and psyching up for purple pants. Have fun!

1371404[/snapback]

You refer many times to his contributions and how great they were.

Reg season record: 38-42

Post season record: 2-2

Pass yards: 20, 162

Pass TDs: 135

Rush yards: 2476

Rush TDs: 29

Interceptions: 86

Fumbles: 81(33 lost)

As impressive as the yards and TDs may be, how do you feel about 119 turnovers in 81 games? How 'bout 48 DC fumbles that were recovered to keep DC's total turnovers from being 167? Do you suppose that has anything to do with his career winning percentage?

Well, I think it reflects directly on his decision making. When he had time, and Randy Moss, he did well. Take away the time, force him to make quicker decisions, remove Randy Moss, and he floundered. Brad Johnson is a smarter QB. Not as talented, but smarter, so he was able to handle the adversity and pressure a little better, which was just enough to help the Vikes succeed.

Cpep reminds me a bit of a Kerry Collins, maybe that will help with what I'm trying to get across here. Not from the athletic ability and scrambling, obviously, but from the terrible decision making when under pressure.

1371439[/snapback]

Outstanding info here.

I hope he gets things going, but I think you'll see what a lot of us have, once he realizes his initial target isn't open, it's like he has no idea what to do next sometimes.

1371814[/snapback]

Something Billy and I can agree on :D

OK I guess it's safe to assume that ALL Viking fans couldn't be happier to see Daunte leave and Dolphin fans couldn't be happier to see him on their team.

1372609[/snapback]

Kinda funny that us Vikes fans who have watched every snap Daunte has played in his career dont mind seeing him go. Yet, many fans(who may be more familiar with his fantasy football exploits) think we are nuts. Stats are great and all, but what is the one that really counts? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a W...

As many have said previously, the guy was a talented athlete who put up big numbers a couple times in his career. For most of his career, he had the luxury of throwing the ball to atleast one(sometimes two) HOF WR. His physical abilities often made up for his mental shortcomings. He struggled to read defenses, make his progressions, and turned the ball over at an alarming rate. He didnt have a good defense throughout his career, so certainly not all the losses are his fault. However, it is difficult to overlook the timing of the winning streak and improvement on defense last season coinciding with Johnson taking over and the offense not turning the ball over nearly as much.

Daunte both helped and hurt this team over the years. I think that is reflective in his career record as a starter. Ultimately, the lack of leadership and judgement he showed last year and the stance he took during the offseason cant be overlooked. He wanted out. The Vikings got what they could for him. Life goes on.

Culpepper says "goodbye"

Last Update: 3/16/2006 10:51:22 AM

Ex-Viking quarterback Daunte Culpepper sent an email to KFAN on Thursday to say goodbye to fans and address details of his departure.

This will be my last e-mail to the media unless I get a national endorsement deal with AOL (Just kidding). Seriously all future media requests and communications from me will be facilitated through the PR department of the Miami Dolphins.

Now that the trade to the Miami Dolphins is official, I want to take this opportunity to thank Denny Green for drafting me out of UCF and the fans of Minnesota for cheering for me the last 7 years with purple passion. I also want to thank my teammates who have battled with me in the football trenches. I wish the best for the Viking organization as they go forward under the new ownership group and coaching staff.

Even though I cannot discuss in any detail the well publicized alleged ?boat incident?, I do have a message to the communities of Minnesota and Miami. I accept the responsibility and welcome the accountability of being a high profile athlete. Without admitting to the ridiculous allegations, I do apologize for any embarrassment that this situation has caused the community, the organization and especially my family. I can handle the personal accusations because I know the truth. I expect the legal process to clear my name so that I can move on.

I look forward to returning to my roots where I can spend the second half of my career playing the game I love in front of the Florida football faithful. It felt like a dream come true when I walked into the Dolphins facility and met the coaches and administration. I can hardly wait to meet the Dolphin fans. As a result of what I hear and what I experienced on my short visit, I already feel very welcomed into the Miami Dolphin family.

Daunte Culpepper