[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bracket Busters

Gdawg

Alot of people here picking Texas A&M over Syracuse - I guess it's an upset because it's a 12 seed versus a 5 seed, but Syracuse is only a 1 point favorite.  If you're in a pool that gives bonus points for picking higher seeds, I think you almost have to pick A&M in the first round.

And I tend to think that the Oakland brakcet is pretty weak, and therefore pretty wide open.  UCLA finished strong, but I just don't trust anyone coming out of the Pac 10 this year (one of the reasons I like Utah State as an opening round upset over Washington).  I like Kansas alot, but they are awfully young, which doesn't always play well in the Dance.  Gonzaga is very beatable IMO - I think memphis is a weaker-than-usual #1 seed, but given the bracket that they have, I have them going to the Final Four almost by default.  I like Marquette to make a run in the lower half of that bracket.

I also have NC State winning two games - not that I like them all that much, but my anti-Pac 10 bias putstham past California, and Texas is so inconsistent that it's not a reach to see NC State playing past this weekend.

1372942[/snapback]

Gotta stand up for my Pac 10- UCLA is tough- Period, Howland has em D ing up like crazy-

Utah St. is a popular pick against UW- ain;t gonna happen- UW & Roy will get the W

Cal- again- y'all haven't seen anyone like Powe- will dominate the Pack-

I agree - Memphis is probably the weakest #1 seed- BUT UCLA is the strongest

#2- so I just don't see the weakness in Oak- UCONN has a road to the FInal Four like I have never seen- I do't see who will even challenge them

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and the same could possibly be said for Witchita State. 

1372990[/snapback]

Nice call here, the Shockers are rolling over Seton Hall right now (up 16 at the half, now up 15 with 15 minutes to play). That's Seton hall from the vaunted Big East mind you.

I personally have bought into the big East hype, I have Seton hall winning two games. :D

Gotta stand up for my Pac 10- UCLA is tough- Period, Howland has em D ing up like crazy- 

Utah St. is a popular pick against UW- ain;t gonna happen- UW & Roy will get the W

Cal- again- y'all haven't seen anyone like Powe- will dominate the Pack-

I agree - Memphis is probably the weakest #1 seed- BUT UCLA is the strongest

#2- so I just don't see the weakness in Oak- UCONN has a road to the FInal Four like I have never seen- I do't see who will even challenge them

1373228[/snapback]

Just from your posts I can tell you know far more about this than I do, so I'll have to defer to you on this...although I think any of Illinois, Michigan State or UNC could give UConn trouble. Based on talent alone, UConn should beat any college team in the country, but they don't always bring it every night.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Lots of good opinions here, I guess I'll add my .02 now that is about to start.

I don't see any real giant killers.  The first weekend will have its share of upsets, but I don't see any team outside of a top 4 seed having a real shot at going all the way.

I think the Missouri Valley will represent well.  SIU could easily go to the sweet 16, and the same could possibly be said for Witchita State.  Everybody is waiting for them to fall on their face, since the conference got so many teams in the tourney (and deserved one more) so I am going to go contrarian and say they win some games. 

And that is about all I am willing to divulge at this time.  :D

1372990[/snapback]

Wichita St. is a #7 seed; they should win. That said I have them going to the Sweet 16 also.

Wichita St. is a #7 seed; they should win.  That said I have them going to the Sweet 16 also.

1373247[/snapback]

Yeah, they are a 7 seed but probably underestimated by most. They sure look Sweet 16 bound so far!!

I like San Diego State over Indiana, A&M over 'Cuse, Utah State over Washington, and Winthrop to beat Tennessee  :D

1371268[/snapback]

I like all those except 'Cuse. Tennessee is seeded too high.

Yeah I know what ya said and I totally disagree- your not giving Memphis enough credit- they had a bunch of quality wins.

You really believe that Iowa,Illinois, UNC, Florida & Ohio State are better than UCLA or Memphis???

No Way- that is flat ridiculous.

I see UCLA as better than Texas and on par with anyone in the tournament. Guard play kills and Farmar/Afflalo are right behind Ray/Foye as the best in the nation.

KU is rolling- anyway- we shall see- I think DC is the worst region by far

1371993[/snapback]

Ucla? :D

Not laughing at the fact that you think they can do good. laughing at the fact that you are trying to claim that they are definately better than those teams.

Not sure if you watched your Pac 10 this year or not, but the Pac 10 as a whole is worse than I can ever remember seeing it. I mean, when is the last time you seen the Pac 10 worse than the Missourri Valley conference?

Ucla?  :D

Not laughing at the fact that you think they can do good. laughing at the fact that you are trying to claim that they are definately better than those teams.

Not sure if you watched your Pac 10 this year or not, but the Pac 10 as a whole is worse than I can ever remember seeing it. I mean, when is the last time you seen the Pac 10 worse than the Missourri Valley conference?

1373315[/snapback]

All good- I am sure my bracket will be a mess after tomorrow :D

UCLA- yes they are that good- Pac is down yeah- but UCLA is a beast right now, Howland has em playing some of his old Pitt D.

KU- impresses me more and more- young team, but they look like a tough out-

To me, UNC, Ill, Iowa don't have it to make a deep run

FLa, OSU- if they are hot, yes- but LET THE GAMES BEGIN

fyi- you all notice how the ESPN phag "experts" all have basically the same Final 4?? :D It just never plays out that way.

They all got Duke, UConn, KU/UCLA, BC

1373315[/snapback]

How about the ACC? All three conferences got 4 teams in the tourney.

There is not the dominant teams in the Pac-10 as there has been the last 15 years, but that certainly does not mean that there aren't quality teams playing. I pick all 4 teams to make the 2nd Round.

I've watched the games all day today. I just heard the game announcers call NC Wilmington #9 seed going for the upset. Earlier today, another game announcer said that he didn't consider a #12 beating a #5 as an upset. The #9 seeds have won more games than #8's in the past. How could that be an upset?

This post probably belongs in the CBS sucks pile.

Edited by MikesVikes

I've watched the games all day today.  I just heard the game announcers call NC Wilmington #9 seed going for the upset.  Earlier today, another game announcer said that he didn't consider a #12 beating a #5 as an upset.  The #9 seeds have won more games than #8's in the past.  How could that be an upset?

This post probably belongs in the CBS sucks pile.

1374159[/snapback]

considering GW has been ranked as high as #6 for a long time this season, i'd agree with that being an upset, if they go down.

Day 1: 15 for 16 ... the only miss was Oklahoma v. UW-Milwaukee ... Best first day I've ever had, by far. GB just filling in the blanks w/o any prep.

Day 2:

I've picked all favorites except NCState over Cal ... UAB over Kentucky ... George Mason over Michigan State ... and ... Wisconsin over Arizona.

My most "interesting" picks...

Wichita State to the elite eight

Georgetown to the final four

Gonzaga to beat Texas in the final four and then to win it all (over UConn)

Edited by muck

Day 1:  15 for 16 ... the only miss was Oklahoma v. UW-Milwaukee ...  Best first day I've ever had, by far.  GB just filling in the blanks w/o any prep.

Day 2:

I've picked all favorites except NCState over Cal ... UAB over Kentucky ... George Mason over Michigan State ... and ... Wisconsin over Arizona.

My most "interesting" picks...

Wichita State to the elite eight

Georgetown to the final four

Gonzaga to beat Texas in the final four and then to win it all (over UConn)

1374444[/snapback]

nice picken'!

But i've never seen the first day leader win the whole thing :D

:D

I had an awful day, filling out 3 sheets and not having that much variety on them is pathetic.

I had Winthrop BEATING the Vols...it ALMOST HAPPENED :D

Hopefully Wi State wont let me down, I have them going to the Sweet 16.

Incidentally, I also had Xavier over Gonzaga...they came within 1:30 of making that happen :D

Kind of a rough start, 12-4. Hopefully today brings better things :doah:

I like San Diego State over Indiana, A&M over 'Cuse, Utah State over Washington, and Winthrop to beat Tennessee  :D

Second round, I think Arkansas knocks off Memphis, West Virginia over Iowa, and Mich State over UNC.

LSU over Duke in the Sweet Sixteen.

Good luck in all the pools.

1371268[/snapback]

:D Nice picks- SDSU blew it - solid all around except UW-

UW otuclassed USU all around- not sure why everyone was all over them-

I concur on rd.2 except for Ark over Memphis

UW- Ill will be one fun game to watch

How about the ACC? All three conferences got 4 teams in the tourney.

There is not the dominant teams in the Pac-10 as there has been the last 15 years, but that certainly does not mean that there aren't quality teams playing. I pick all 4 teams to make the 2nd Round.

1374136[/snapback]

IMO it was a shame that the ACC only got 4 teams.

WOW

Am shocked at how good my Cats look so far- where has this been?? they actually look like a legit team right now...... Shoul dbe abale to run Wisky out of the building- they are getting easy looks against this vaunted D

1375185[/snapback]

Yeah, they are looking tough. they have the talent to do something if they can use this game to gain some momentum.

WOW

Am shocked at how good my Cats look so far- where has this been?? they actually look like a legit team right now...... Shoul dbe abale to run Wisky out of the building- they are getting easy looks against this vaunted D

1375185[/snapback]

i wouldn't get too excited about the Arizona O, Wisconsins D were horrible the 2nd half of the season, and to call them a vaunted D is not even close. They finished out the last 13 games of Big 10 play 4-9. They played well early in the season, but the conference tore them up and exposed the pathetic defense this season.

Edited by theeohiostate

i wouldn't get too excited about the Arizona O, Wisconsins D were horrible the 2nd half of the season, and to call them a vaunted D is not even close.  They finished out the last 13 games of Big 10 play 4-9.  They played well early in the season, but the conference tore them up and exposed the pathetic defense this season.

1375247[/snapback]

Welll after UA's season- I am exciting bc they look good. Just going off Wisc rep as being solid D, acan't imagine having to watch this style of play- BRUTAL- this team looks terrible to me-

UA plays this well- they wll give Villanova a game........