[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tankless Water Heaters

geeteebee

I only have electric to my house and am thinking about replacing one of my water heaters. Anybody know much about these? Are they worth the cost? Will they heat the water up as much as I need? Will I still get the same flow rate out of my shower?

I installed one when I lived in TX. Loved it, once I got all the kinks worked out. However, the one I used required a natural gas line. So if you only have electric to your house I do not know whether or not tankless is an option for you.

i'd only use one, IF, you use a gas tankless

Rinnai makes a series 2520 that can produce up to 8 gal per minute of continuous hot water. All residential showers and faucets discharge 2.7 gal/minute, so you can have up to 3 showers running hot water all the time.

I pay about $800 for this unit and it takes about an hour to install.

Edited by theeohiostate

We looked into it a couple of months ago to put in the house we're currently building and found that the gas models are purty good while the electric ones still have tweaking to do...from what I saw. Why? I don't know. We decided to go with the regular water tank and wait til that blows up in 15 years. By then, they'll have it perfected, we figured.

Ranai makes a series 2520 that can produce up to 8 gal per minute of continuous hot water. All residential showers and faucets discharge 2.7 gal/minute, so you can have up to 3 showers running hot water all the time.

1378261[/snapback]

Why not for electric?

Why not for electric?

1378331[/snapback]

same reason electric water heaters and heaters suck, poor recovery time and trying to heat on demand with electric isn't going to serve you well. If you only have electric, i'd go ahead and get an 80 gal elec. as it compares to a 50 gal natural gas.

Ranai makes a series 2520 that can produce up to 8 gal per minute of continuous hot water. All residential showers and faucets discharge 2.7 gal/minute, so you can have up to 3 showers running hot water all the time.

1378261[/snapback]

Did you have to do anything special to vent it? I've been thinking about this as well and my only question is the venting.

Did you have to do anything special to vent it? I've been thinking about this as well and my only question is the venting.

1379057[/snapback]

I did. Cut a hole in the roof of my laundry room with a sawzall for the vent pipe. And, if you don't seal it properly, when it rains water can leak down through the interior part of the vent pipe and extinguish the pilot light. (Took me a while to figure that one out). So be sure you seal the hole real good, in addition to all the seams of the vent pipes.

Edited by yo mama

1379057[/snapback]

put it on any exterior wall and vent out side of house, with the base $80 venting package. I don't know off the top of my head what distances you can go to because i've only installed on new construction and have put on bsmt foundation walls or exterior framed walls and vent out side of house or bandboard. I would imagine the venting would be comparible to power vent water heaters on distances you "legally" allowed to travel. Here is the one i always install http://www.rinnai.us/products/waterheaters/REU2520FFU.asp

What i like about these water heaters, is you'll never have to replace them , all parts can be replaced easily. Any sediment build up can be removed easily by unscrewing the screened filter. It'll save about $150-$200 per year in gas charges.

Edited by theeohiostate

Seems like you can get a $300 tax credit for installing one.

1379735[/snapback]

this is true, it's only for this tax year though and it's for the homeowners.

There's a $2000 per home tax credit to builders to make their homes more energy efficient and some of mine are looking in that direction.

• 2 years later...