[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"I don't trust nobody who don't love Jesus"

Chavez

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, wiegie, that was interesting.

1390467[/snapback]

Actually, it was. Very. However, it doesn't really shed any light on the provenance of the golden rule, which is not under discussion in the article. The article says that most charitable institutions are faith-based, which they indubitably are. Maybe that's at least partly because of the ability of those people to organize due to the existing establishments they regularly meet in e.g. churches, as well as their convictions.

Where's that ref guy to   :D   you for quoting your own post?

:D he is currently away.

1390471[/snapback]

See how that works--knowing that there is currently nobody here to stop me from quoting myself and not fearing a supreme huddle-being who might punish me for engaging in unethical posting behavior, I decide to do whatever I want. :D

Edited by wiegie

ok, where did it spring from?

We are made aware of the "Golden Rule" by means of General Revelation.

1389368[/snapback]

The Golden Rule both precedes and transcends Christianity. And according to dogma, the Christian God doesn't have much interest in revealing to Buddhists.

Edited by Chavez

Toss this one around .... it's harder to prove that God doesn't exist, than it is to prove that He does.

Seriously, try proving that God doesn't exist.  See what happens.

1389759[/snapback]

Point taken, but it doesn't necessarily prove anything. Try the same thing with Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, or Yggdrasil.

again, no.  that is even easier to explain than dying for the colony.  organisms cant perpetuate their genes if their "loved ones" (i.e., their offspring, their mate) are dying.  so it's logical an organism would fight to the death to protect them, as one who failed to do so would be less likely to pass on their genes.

1390460[/snapback]

people die for their friends. people die for a cause. people die for their honor and ideas. people die to help others they haven't even met. people die so others will not be oppressed. heroic deaths are not happening because of the desire to protect the genes. these are noble ideas that rise above base survival or the passing of hair color. human beings are clearly not the result of millions of years of a survival instinct being honed - if so, we would be overwhelming brutal and heartless, much like the animal kingdom. we are clearly different. it is absurd to assume that a split happened somewhere along the way and human beings are the result. i covered in this thread several weeks ago that darwin was not rock solid about his own theories, acknowledging that serious gaps exist.

although i may look like this after a hard night of drinking, i can tell you that i did not evolve from this.

i know soup has picked up some women who aren't far off from lucy here ...  :D

1390626[/snapback]

I'd hit it...:D...I think darin would stop me though. :D

Geez, one night trying to show my hunting skillz and she ends up being a wildebeast...whoda thunk it?

:D

darwin was perplexed and could not explain one man laying his life down for another on the battlefield ...

1390274[/snapback]

Apparently that is easily explained by the old saw of there being no atheists in foxholes.

human beings are clearly not the result of millions of years of a survival instinct being honed - if so, we would be overwhelming brutal and heartless, much like the animal kingdom.  we are clearly different. 

1390646[/snapback]

human beings are clearly not the result of millions of years of a survival instinct being honed - if so, we would be overwhelming brutal and heartless, much like the animal kingdom.  we are clearly different.

1390646[/snapback]

You need to get out more.

woo...who'da thunk it...a thread about religion going on 10 pages...

1390688[/snapback]

Yeah, normally religion is the one topic you can get a broad consensus on.

"There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an

argument against foxholes. 

1390896[/snapback]

The Golden Rule both precedes and transcends Christianity.

1390642[/snapback]

well no one here has said otherwise. but has it received a fuller expression elsewhere than in christianity? love your neighbor? turn the other cheek? not only are actions against your neighbor sinful, but thoughts are essentially just as bad?

well no one here has said otherwise.  but has it received a fuller expression elsewhere than in christianity?  love your neighbor?  turn the other cheek?  not only are actions against your neighbor sinful, but thoughts are essentially just as bad?

1390910[/snapback]

Buddhism has similar tenets and predates Christ by 500 years.

well no one here has said otherwise.  but has it received a fuller expression elsewhere than in christianity?  love your neighbor?  turn the other cheek?  not only are actions against your neighbor sinful, but thoughts are essentially just as bad?

1390910[/snapback]

But you don't have to be Christian to follow the morals behind it. The morals might be right, but believing the outrageously exaggerated stories as if they were all true is another thing. Once again, you don't have to be religious to be a good person. It just means you don't feel like following old methods and ways of thinking. If we did that, we would still think the universe revolves around Earth. :D