[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No more end zone gags

kryptonite

What are your thoughts on the NFL and the NFLPA tightening the rule on end zone celebrations?

Seems kinda over-the-top to be so tough on end zone dances.

NLF network was just talking about it from the comp. cmte. mtng..

Edited by kryptonite

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your thoughts on the NFL and the NFLPA tightening the rule on end zone celebrations?

Seems kinda over-the-top to be so tough on end zone dances.

NLF network was just talking about it from the comp. cmte. mtng..

1390481[/snapback]

They can spike the ball but can't use it as a prop and can't celebrate on the ground at Steve Smith did. It takes creativity out of the celebrations.

And the Players Union wanted it? Players complain the NFL takes fun out of the game and have taken more out of it with this.

Personally, I'm glad the NFL is doing this. I'm just old school and feel you should show a little class and act like you've been there before. I'm probably the only one here that feels that way but that is my 2 cents.

EDIT: D***, I'm not the only one after all.

Edited by Huddled Masses

Personally, I'm glad the NFL is doing this. I'm just old school and feel you should show a little class and act like you've been there before. I'm probably the only one here that feels that way but that is my 2 cents.

EDIT: D***, I'm not the only one after all.

1390545[/snapback]

Since you are old school does that mean you don't play fantasy football?

Some players do just hand the ball to the ref but requiring it is a bit of a stretch imo.

Guest THEbigred

1390545[/snapback]

Yep you are most certainly a dinosaur - most fans probably look at you like you're crazy when/if you bring this up - heck you might as well be speaking Chinese. Class? In today's society? What's wrong w/you boy??

If they pass and enforce such a rule it'd be one of the most surprising, even shocking, things to happen to the NFL in a long, long time. In a good way that is.

I'm 10 times as shocked that the NFLPA would be pushing this and aint buying that rumour.

This rule sucks.

Are you kidding me? This is what they came up with in the owners meeting?

Sad. Believe me, I think the extensive celebrating is a little uncalled for...

I just think there are more important issues to be dealt with,

..and just wait until those flags start getting thrown for celebrating.

1390545[/snapback]

I dunno about old school. But I, for one, do not want to see pro football become any more akin to "pro" wrestling than it has already become. And to me, at least, excessive endzone celebrations seem a whole lot like asking if you can "Smell what the Rock is cookin'."

I dunno about old school.  But I, for one, do not want to see pro football become any more akin to "pro" wrestling than it has already become.  And to me, at least, excessive endzone celebrations seem a whole lot like asking if you can "Smell what the Rock is cookin'."

1390585[/snapback]

i'm surprising myself by saying this, but i agree with this sentiment. i think they have to draw the line somewhere. i watch the games to watch the action on the field, not players inflating their egos by doing some skit every time they score.

I dunno about old school.  But I, for one, do not want to see pro football become any more akin to "pro" wrestling than it has already become.  And to me, at least, excessive endzone celebrations seem a whole lot like asking if you can "Smell what the Rock is cookin'."

1390585[/snapback]

I agree, and really wonder about the person who is truly amused and entertained by a poorly executed gag like pulling the cell phone from the Goal Post. Is the game aof football so old and stagnant to you that you need a showboating pose and mime after a score to entertain you?

Toss the ball to the ref, spike it, throw it at the wall, "dunk" it over the post... those all seem fine to me. But when yahoo starts runnign stories and ESPN covers what Chad Johnson will do next time he scores, that's the deal breaker.

It's sad that they have to pass a rule to have players show some class after doing what they are paid (huge sums of money) to do. But this is the world we live in.

God forbid any player celebrates. It's not like this is an entertainment sport played to entertain viewers.... no wait...

1390498[/snapback]

I've always thought the game itself was the entertainment. I'm psyched to be able to see two opening Monday night games and a third on Thanksgiving. None of my excitement has anything to do with the posibility of seeing more endzone celebrations.

I could take it or leave it-the legacy of WhiteShoes lives on though, but I did laugh my ass off when SSmith did the row boat vs the Vikes, and then treated the ball like a baby and changed it's diaper. I say keep it out of High School and College like it is now, but let a man who's worked to make the Big League celebrate if he want's too.

I agree, and really wonder about the person who is truly amused and entertained by a poorly executed gag like pulling the cell phone from the Goal Post. Is the game aof football so old and stagnant to you that you need a showboating pose and mime after a score to entertain you?

Toss the ball to the ref, spike it, throw it at the wall, "dunk" it over the post... those all seem fine to me. But when yahoo starts runnign stories and ESPN covers what Chad Johnson will do next time he scores, that's the deal breaker.

1390604[/snapback]

Personally, I like the extra celebrations. It also gives certain players ala Chad'

Johnson extra incentive to score. It also gives the defensive team extra incentive

to knock his dick in the dirt. It's entertainment people! If you don't like it, run to

the fridge and grab another beer so you don't have to see the shenanigans.

i'm surprising myself by saying this, but i agree with this sentiment.  i think they have to draw the line somewhere.  i watch the games to watch the action on the field, not players inflating their egos by doing some skit every time they score.

1390602[/snapback]

They did draw the line. They drew it at outside the playing field props like sharpies and cell phones.

Now they are drawing another line that includes the football and lying on the ground in a pose like Steve Smith did. No more lying on the ground? Come on.

Ignore it. Change the channel. Go to the fridge and get a beer.

Steve Smith and Chad Johnson's are creative and well done.

This is America right? They should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want. I want them to do it. And I pay money to see them do these crazy celebrations. If the fans want to see it and the players want to do it, what seems to be the problem? Is this another case of old white guys trying to become more involved with mainstream America?

From NFL.com

ORLANDO, Fla. (March 27, 2006) -- Let's dispense with the "No Fun League" talk from the beginning.

This isn't about that.

An NFL competition committee proposal designed to curtail celebrations does not, in any way, attempt to eliminate all forms of players celebrating touchdowns.

End-zone antics like those performed by Carolina's Steve Smith would be penalized under a new rule proposal.   

Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands.

What they can't do is use the ball as a prop in their routine. Nor can they do any celebrating on the ground or be part of any group effort. And when the referee warns them that their celebration has gone on too long and needs to stop, they must stop … or be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct that would be assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

As they watched videotape of games played during the 2005 season, members of the committee concluded that celebrations simply were getting out of hand. The biggest problem was that they were taking too long and slowing down the game unnecessarily.

And the committee members weren't the only ones who formed that opinion. Representatives of the NFL Players Association shared that view, and, in fact, encouraged the committee to do something about it in the form of a rules change.

"The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the competition committee along with Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Rich McKay.

No one is looking to prevent players from expressing their joy or having some "artistic freedom" (if that's what it's called) in their celebrations. No one is looking to take any fun out of the game.

The idea is just to move along the pace of play, and the proposal is more than reasonable in that regard. - Vic Carucci

Vic's certainly towing the company line...

I thought it was hilarious when Owens did the Ray Lewis dance against Baltimore.

1390673[/snapback]

Unless, of course, you were Ray Lewis. No one likes to be the butt of a joke.

So until ALL players can prove their celebrations are not veiled (or unveiled) jabs at their opponents, rules like this are needed. they can still celebrate like fools if they wish......they'll just cost their own team 15 yards, and themselves a few thousand dollars.

Sounds fair to me. Act like an ass, be treated like like an ass.

Here's hoping this leads to the return of sportsmanship :D , or at least quells the trend toward the opposite.

They did draw the line. They drew it at outside the playing field props like sharpies and cell phones.

Now they are drawing another line that includes the football and lying on the ground in a pose like Steve Smith did. No more lying on the ground? Come on.

Ignore it. Change the channel. Go to the fridge and get a beer.

Steve Smith and Chad Johnson's are creative and well done.

1390661[/snapback]

Fair enough. Believe me, i'm not losing much sleep on this one way or another. And they probably drew the line in the wrong place. But it did seem to be going a little too far last year at times- that's all i'm saying.