[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No more end zone gags

kryptonite

Can you imagine Jordan stoppping the game to pull out a sharpie to autograph a ball after a great dunk?

Or Gretzky pulling a hidden cell phone from behind a net after he scored a goal?

Or Clemens making snow angels on the mound after striking someone out?

Nah, me either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of this later....

What about DLinemen who sack and get all giddy......or what about a RB that is stopped in the back field and someone grabs a "shovel" and does the grave digger.....what about the eccentric WR who motions "first down"......Will it be okay to showboat everywhere else accept the endzone?

How will the "powers that be" get a grip control on a little thing like, "consistency?"

Next thing you know, the "I'm going to disney world" quote will be penalized!

This whole thing is too funny.....oopps....(10 yard penalty for making fun of the NFLPA)

I was watching the TPC yesterday and my bro and I were wondering what it would be like if professional golfers behaved like NFL players :D

sink a 2 foot putt? Beat your chest and point to the sky.

a 250 drive in the fairway? Run up to the ball and signal a first down.

a par? run over to the cup, take out the ball and spin it on the green.

Golf could become a nonstop celebration of the mundane, just like football.

God forbid any player celebrates. It's not like this is an entertainment sport played to entertain viewers.... no wait...

1390498[/snapback]

Of everyone around here, I thought you'd recognize that even things that are fun need to sometimes have limits to prevent total anarchy.

(ahem... THREADGUN!)

We just had the most poorly called Superbowl in history and the competition committee wants to talk about endzone celebrations...it figures...divert attention from "real" problems in the league. Hell, I won money on that game, and still felt I was cheated after all the hype the Superbowl received.

Maybe I need to cut back on my NFL network viewing, because the NFL seems to be becoming more and more like a boring business these days. The great money making machine is becoming more stale by the year. What are they going to ban next? FANTASY FOOTBALL??!?!?!

Edited by Return Of S&B

We just had the most poorly called Superbowl in history and the competition committee wants to talk about endzone celebrations...it figures...divert attention from "real" problems in the league.  Hell, I won money on that game, and still felt I was cheated after all the hype the Superbowl received. 

Maybe I need to cut back on my NFL network viewing, because the NFL seems to be becoming more and more like a boring business these days.  The great money making machine is becoming more stale by the year.  What are they going to ban next?  FANTASY FOOTBALL??!?!?!

1390916[/snapback]

They are probably working on the Fantasy Football part. The NFL really does need to take a look at the real issues instead of taking away the lesser--more fun--...problems?

They should fix the officiating not the celebrating. :D

I dunno about old school.  But I, for one, do not want to see pro football become any more akin to "pro" wrestling than it has already become.  And to me, at least, excessive endzone celebrations seem a whole lot like asking if you can "Smell what the Rock is cookin'."

1390585[/snapback]

+1.

Most of the routines they dream up are crap anyway. When was the last amusing one?

Can you imagine Jordan stoppping the game to pull out a sharpie to autograph a ball after a great dunk?

Or Gretzky pulling a hidden cell phone from behind a net after he scored a goal?

Or Clemens making snow angels on the mound after striking someone out?

Nah, me either.

1390766[/snapback]

These are things eliminated in the past. They dealt with them already and I agree. Now they are pushing further eliminating use of the ball and lying on the field.

They allow spiking the ball over the goal post but not holding it up like a waiter. How is one better than the other?

"Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands.

What they can't do is use the ball as a prop in their routine. Nor can they do any celebrating on the ground or be part of any group effort. And when the referee warns them that their celebration has gone on too long and needs to stop, they must stop … or be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct that would be assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

As they watched videotape of games played during the 2005 season, members of the committee concluded that celebrations simply were getting out of hand. The biggest problem was that they were taking too long and slowing down the game unnecessarily."

I can see speeding up the game. Will defenses be penalized for actimg crazy after making it a tackle? I like addressing some of this stuff but some of this stuff is not taunting and is entertaining.

Edited by Randall

This is America right?  They should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want.  I want them to do it.  And I pay money to see them do these crazy celebrations.  If the fans want to see it and the players want to do it, what seems to be the problem?  Is this another case of old white guys trying to become more involved with mainstream America?

1390738[/snapback]

Not all fans want to see it. The game is the entertainment for me. I could care less about that other garbage. Hand the ball to the ref and lets move on.

So until ALL players can prove their celebrations are not veiled (or unveiled) jabs at their opponents, rules like this are needed.  they can still celebrate like fools if they wish......they'll just cost their own team 15 yards, and themselves a few thousand dollars.

Sounds fair to me. Act like an ass, be treated like like an ass.

Here's hoping this leads to the return of sportsmanship :D , or at least quells the trend toward the opposite.

1390757[/snapback]

Amen to that! You are free to do what you want, as long as you recognize that your actions have consequences :D

Not all fans want to see it.  The game is the entertainment for me.  I could care less about that other garbage.  Hand the ball to the ref and lets move on.

1391204[/snapback]

BORING!! I agree some of the celebrations were a bit out of control. But, you have to admit, it is funny at times. What they should really do is ban Hines Ward from doing excessive celebrations, b/c he's terrible at it. He is the only player that mocks the other teams he plays against, and nothing is said about it.

BORING!!  I agree some of the celebrations were a bit out of control.  But, you have to admit, it is funny at times.  What they should really do is ban Hines Ward from doing excessive celebrations, b/c he's terrible at it.  He is the only player that mocks the other teams he plays against, and nothing is said about it.

1391243[/snapback]

He mocked T.O. and everyone love it, because, well, T.O. is an Kate Middleton. He also tried to mock Chad Johnson on a celebration he did in the same game. He was terrible at it, and he and Chad laughed about it after the game. (Chad was mic'ed up) Stop being so jealous of Hines Ward, he is given more leadway because he plays football exactly the way it should be played (Does his job 100% on every single play), and he has respect from most because of it.

P.S. Enjoy last place and those ringless fingers Fitzy, while my boys look for

#6. :D

Just hand the ball to the ref, ala Barry Sanders, and get on with the game.

1390543[/snapback]

Same as LT. :D

1390569[/snapback]

Same as Walter! :D

I like the idea of cracking down on the celebrations.  I also like it best when they just hand the ball to the refs.

1390755[/snapback]

+1

I"m the old white guy who still prefers Class actions (for someone above's post) . I like the celebrations of C Johnson and S Smith. Chad's proposal to the Cheerleader was great. Creative and not insulting to the other team. I have no problem with most of the end zone celebrations. I dislike the celebrations after every tackle or sack. Going crazy after one of those while behind 35-10 is the definition of classless.

Personally I think the rules committee could have spent their time more wisely.

It isn't easy to get into the endzone, and when a player gets there he deserves a chance to celebrate. I am in favor of the Chad Johnson's so called antics and anything of the like, its entertaining and he does it becasue he is excited as heck about scoring. That being said anything that is done to belittle your opponent isn't appropriate and is unnecessary. Players who mock their opponent by parodying them, standing over them after a tackle, taunting them, etc are the problem.

Really the difference comes down to expressing joy for the game or showing disrespect to your opponent, your opponent's fans or the officials.

It isn't easy to get into the endzone, and when a player gets there he deserves a chance to celebrate. I am in favor of the Chad Johnson's so called antics and anything of the like, its entertaining and he does it becasue he is excited as heck about scoring. That being said anything that is done to belittle your opponent isn't appropriate and is unnecessary. Players who mock their opponent by parodying them, standing over them after a tackle, taunting them, etc are the problem. 

Really the difference comes down to expressing joy for the game or showing disrespect to your opponent, your opponent's fans or the officials.

1392070[/snapback]

My opinion is that the player celebrating(rubbing it in against the other team) should be open season season to the other team. of course once the celebration is over you can no longer hit and kick him.

I am in favor of the Chad Johnson's so called antics and anything of the like, its entertaining and he does it becasue he is excited as heck about scoring.

1392070[/snapback]

Ya really think so? A pre-planned celebration doesn't seem like something that is done because you are " excited as heck at scoring"...seems more like something done in order to maintain the spotlight for as long as possible, which is exactly what the NFL wants to curtail.

My opinion is that the player celebrating(rubbing it in against the other team) should be open season to the other team. of course once the celebration is over you can no longer hit and kick him.

1392088[/snapback]

that would make players think twice before acting like fools, huh?

I'm all for it :D:D:D

Chad Johnson's response: "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining."

Ya really think so? A pre-planned celebration doesn't seem like something that is done because you are " excited as heck at scoring"...seems more like something done in order to maintain the spotlight for as long as possible, which is exactly what the NFL wants to curtail.

1392142[/snapback]

Another take is to give fans joy. He is an entertainer. He does the celebration for the same reason braodway actors and musicians give the fans what they like.

Edited by Randall