[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst starting QB your team has ever had ?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know much about the broncos pre-steve morton (late 70s).  since then, none of their QBs have really been complete crap. 

steve morton - pretty crappy but hey, he got em to a super bowl

steve deberg - not terrible as a short-term starter

john elway - 16 years, hall of fame...not much else to say.

brian griese - wore out his welcome, but he still wasn't awful

jake plummer - average or better as NFL QBs go.

probably elway as a rookie is the worst starting QB we've had :D

1394932[/snapback]

how bout the Bubby Brister era??

I think the Seahawks have got TWO of the crappiest quarterbacks ALL-TIME entrenched in their history. With all respect due to Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire has got to be right up there with Heath Shuler and Ryan Leaf.

Bubby Brister in PIT.

1394987[/snapback]

Bubby wasn't great by any means, but, he was not the worst either, imho.

Truly, Bubby wasn't the answer ... yet lets not forget Mark Malone throwing 6 tds vs 19 ints in 1987 ... plus, there is no forgiving Neil O'Donnell for Superbowl XXX ... :D

1395562[/snapback]

Ding, Ding, Ding...... Mark Malone gets my vote in my lifetime of watching Steelers games. The guy was a good athlete, but a terrible QB.

As for Neil O'Donnell, I would put him as the 3rd best QB we've ever had, behind Bradshaw and Ben.

I'd put Kordell Stewart on the list over O'Donnell. Neil got a bad wrap for SB XXX.

One of the picks wasn't even his fault. WR cut the wrong way. O'Donnell had a

fantastic completion percentage. Look up the stats.

Look at what Tommy Maddox did last year.  :D

1396012[/snapback]

Agreed about O'Donnell. He was immobile, but, he had a very strong arm. Ironically, the best thing about him was that he didn't throw interceptions, well, until that one game. :doah: I do agree that he gets a bad rap because of that one game, and it has been said that it was a misread on a route by the WR, but when you blow it in the Super Bowl, that is what you will always be remembered for. As for Kordell, he was frustrating, but those who bash him need to look at his combined (Rushing, Passing) statistics during the 1997 & 2001 seasons. He was a candidate for NFL MVP in both seasons. I think Kordell's problem area was heart & he just didn't come through in the clutch. Compared to Mark Malone, Kordell Stewart looks like Joe Montana.

Tommy Maddox... hate him with a passion

1396056[/snapback]

I hear this a lot from Steeler fans, and I simply don't get it. Maddox was brought in for the league minimum from the XFL. He was never expected to be more than a 3rd string QB. When things went bad w/ Kordell, Maddox stepped in for us and performed well as a starter. The guy played as bad as a QB could play last year when he stepped in, and I think his time has passed, but, he has always handled himself well in my eyes, and I don't understand why most Steeler fans are so hard on him.

For me, it is clearly Mark Malone. Don't forget that Jim Miller was named the starting QB one season, and that lasted exactly one game, before he was replaced by Mike Tomcszak.

he was only ever a backup here, and when he played he played fairly well. :D

1396163[/snapback]

I may be missing something, but wasn't he the starting quarterback the year after Elway left?

that was Brian Griese

1396828[/snapback]

Brister played alot and played well the last year of Elway's career due to injuries. Brister was named the starting QB in camp, but fell to #2 on the depth chart before preseason was over. Hello Brian Griese. (Shanny had no choice as Brister was just aweful during preseason games)

Neil got a bad wrap for SB XXX.  One of the picks wasn't even his fault. WR cut the wrong way. O'Donnell had a fantastic completion percentage. Look up the stats.

1396012[/snapback]

This is true -- but I'm still trapped in irrationality, although this year's superbowl does dull the pain. Maybe this starts the healing process ... :D

Brister played alot and played well the last year of Elway's career due to injuries.  Brister was named the starting QB in camp, but fell to #2 on the depth chart before preseason was over.  Hello Brian Griese.  (Shanny had no choice as Brister was just aweful during preseason games)

1396896[/snapback]

ok just because the era was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY short doesn't mean he didn't suck golf balls.

What about Stoney Case?

1395089[/snapback]

Surely you Lions' fans haven't forgotten about Rusty Hilger. How about Don Majkowski? What about Mike Machurek? Remember Joe Reed?

And if I may include a replacement player from the 1987 strike season - Todd Hons!

Edited by FredGSanford

maybe not the worst ever, but what about the steve walsh/troy aikman every-other-game rotation experiment in 89? walsh was pretty bad -- probably not worse than some of the other cowboy qbs mentioned, but still bad.

Falcons have had some doozies;

Chris Miller

David Archer

Randy Johnson

1395279[/snapback]

Chris Miller was solid enough - his problem was he was made out of tissue paper.

I think you should narrow it down to the player that the team decided was the starter in the beginning of the season.  Who was "the guy" and not an injury filler.

1395433[/snapback]

I'd have to agree - my choice for the Pack would probably be Randy Wright. The guy was simply not an NFL caliber QB.

For me, it is clearly Mark Malone.  Don't forget that Jim Miller was named the starting QB one season, and that lasted exactly one game, before he was replaced by Mike Tomcszak.

1396335[/snapback]

I recall the Pete Axthelm gem "Mark Malone is right up there with Magic Johnson when it comes to throwing a good bounce pass."

But on the other hand, he did bear a striking resemblance to Tom Selleck... :D

i'll see your millen, eason, zolak and bishop and raise you a tommy hodson. :doah:

1395756[/snapback]

Hodson. Man, I remember watching that guy at LSU and thinking "future NFL stud" :D