[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA is broken

MikesVikes

Half the teams are tanking games to get good lottery picks. Playoff teams are tanking games to get a favorable matchup.

The #6 seed (Clippers) had to tank to get into that spot. The #5 has to play Dallas (60-22) but the #6 only has to play Denver (44-37). The Clippers has a better record than Denver so home field advantage otherwise no homefield advantage. #6 seed home advantage over #3.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the fiasco masquerading as the T-Wolves vs Memphis last night and it was a f'n disgrace. The Wolves tanked the game to make sure the protected draft pick they owe the Clippers would stay with them. Madsen took a bunch of three point attempts and coach Casey said he'd told the players "to have a bit of fun". No wonder KG (forced to sit the last six games so we could lose) stalked off at the end without heading to the locker room.

Memphis showed no interest in winning until 2nd overtime, when they were presumably told by their coach to get it done or they'd miss the plane home. The problem in this case is the stupid lottery system, quite aside from Kevin McHale being the worst GM in the history of pro sports, including Matt Millen. The NBA need a regular draft like the NFL.

To make it worse, we still owe the Celtics a first rounder on top of the Clippers pick. :doah:

Yes, the seeding system needs to be fixed for sure. The tanking of the games happens in all sports, it just seems so noticeable lately, and I just think it is more obivous in basketball, and football for that matter. You can't tell me the Texans weren't up to something last year. Baseball does it too, just masquerades as minor league call ups for the last month. NBA just stands out b/c of the nature of the game, and having such a small roster, IMO.

Big NBA fan, and I am hoping for a nice playoffs........

I'm guessing this is the last year a division winner is seeded higher than a second place team from another division with a better record.

Won't necessarily stop teams from doing this though.

1429031[/snapback]

I don't think that will happen. If the league is going to stop giving advantage for winning a division, then they might as well do away with the divisions entirely.

Teams play more games in their division (obviously), so their records are somewhat more of a reflection of how competetive other teams in their division were with them than strictly against the rest of the league.

I was at the fiasco masquerading as the T-Wolves vs Memphis last night and it was a f'n disgrace.  The Wolves tanked the game to make sure the protected draft pick they owe the Clippers would stay with them.  Madsen took a bunch of three point attempts and coach Casey said he'd told the players "to have a bit of fun".  No wonder KG (forced to sit the last six games so we could lose) stalked off at the end without heading to the locker room.

1429055[/snapback]

I feel for KG. Great player that might never get the chance to win a ring.

"Perception of competitiveness"

I think that was the quote from Colangelo, when he was asked about why the NBA went to the extra divisions. Now 6 teams, instead of 4 can raise a championship banner.

If that's what they wanted, then I see no reason why they'd change it. And the Nuggets should have the home court advantage (not that it really matters that much) in their series if they are the higher seed. Otherwise, what are they "winning" for winning the division?

And if you go to an NBA game at this time of year you should know what to expect, I don't really think it's a new thing. If you are in the playoffs, you are resting players, and if you aren't, then you want as many ping-pong balls as you can get.

yeah, that needs to be fixed. there are really two options...

1) a division championship means bupkus, seeding is based entirely on record, or

2) division winners still get the top 3 seeds, and the higher seed ALWAYS has home field

i prefer the second option, which is the way the NFL does it.

Not only is it broken, it's completely corrupt.  Anybody see the Suns just get completely jobbed at the end of OT just now with that jump ball?  What a bag of crap it all is.

1445388[/snapback]

even worse if you're a suns fan, like i am. now i remember why i don't watch the nba.

even worse if you're a suns fan, like i am. now i remember why i don't watch the nba.

1445450[/snapback]

I think it was 1993 or 1994....Suns/Sonics...Western Conference Finals...Game 7. The Suns set the record for most free throws shot in a game.....:D

So what are they doing?  Just 2 conferences... no more divisions?

1432815[/snapback]

I searched Google for a good while trying to find a link. I am next to positive that I read that they were ditching the current system in my local paper. :D

I searched Google for a good while trying to find a link.  I am next to positive that I read  that they were ditching the current system in my local paper.  :D

1445922[/snapback]

It's been all over the TV during the playoffs - div champs will have 1, 2, 3 seeds, regardless of record.

It's been all over the TV during the playoffs - div champs will have 1, 2, 3 seeds, regardless of record.

1445927[/snapback]

:D Chalk that up to me playing poker 99% of the time I'm watching the games.

I actually have found many of these NBA series to be quite entertaining thus far. This from a casual fan who has lost a lot of respect for the game over the years.

Kings/Spurs, Lakers/Suns, Clippers/Nuggets in the West, and Bulls/Heat in the East. All pretty entertaining and competitive thus far.

Edited by godtomsatan

I actually have found many of these NBA series to be quite entertaining thus far. This from a casual fan who has lost a lot of respect for the game over the years.

Kings/Spurs, Lakers/Suns, Clippers/Nuggets in the West, and Bulls/Heat in the East. All pretty entertaining and competitive thus far.

1447310[/snapback]

Even though me and Mrs UM go to at least 10 T-Wolves games per season, I find the NBAs star system extremely hard to swallow. It's abundantly clear that there's one law for the Kobes and the Shaqs and another for the peasants. Until the rules are applied absolutely equally by every ref AND the NBA make a declaration about it, I stand by my observation that the thing is corrupt.

Even though me and Mrs UM go to at least 10 T-Wolves games per season, I find the NBAs star system extremely hard to swallow.  It's abundantly clear that there's one law for the Kobes and the Shaqs and another for the peasants.  Until the rules are applied absolutely equally by every ref AND the NBA make a declaration about it, I stand by my observation that the thing is corrupt.

1447314[/snapback]

The NBA has always been a superstar-driven league. Back in the '80's is was Bird vs. Magic. They always got the calls. But then again, they deserved the respect. Ditto for Jordan in the 90's. The NBA, unfortunately, hit a lull in the late 90's / early 00's, and the search for the next Magic / MJ reached a critical level. So, in effect, the search was an all-too short effort. Guys like KG - and to some level, now with LeBron James - were given superstar status before they did a darn thing. Again, star-driven league searching for stars... all lends itself to inequality. Remember, basketball is 5 on 5. In your face, no helmets, no pads. Football has a ton of players on both sides of the ball. Offense doesn't play defense, and vice versa. In hoops, it's always just 5 on 5. Stars will shine brighter with less people in their way.

The NBA has always been a superstar-driven league.  Back in the '80's is was Bird vs. Magic.  They always got the calls.  But then again, they deserved the respect. 

1447338[/snapback]

No. No. No. This is flat out wrong. "Deserving respect" can never, ever be used to justify a call going a particular way. The rules should be applied absolutely equally to everyone. I don't care if you're Michael Jordan or Jesus Christ, the rules are the rules. It's all f'n pointless otherwise.

No.  No.  No.  This is flat out wrong.  "Deserving respect" can never, ever be used to justify a call going a particular way.  The rules should be applied absolutely equally to everyone.  I don't care if you're Michael Jordan or Jesus Christ, the rules are the rules.  It's all f'n pointless otherwise.

1447501[/snapback]

I'm not saying it's right, it just happens.

I'm not saying it's right, it just happens.

1448627[/snapback]

Yes it does. I didn't mean to sound snippy, but I used to ref soccer and if the rules aren't applied equally, then it's just a glorified workout. It bugs the heck out of me that there's an admitted system in a major sports league that gives preferential treatment to a subset of the players.