[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction rules

If possible, try to invite an impartial non-owner auctioneer.  Not necessary, but can be helpful.

1484482[/snapback]

didnt think of that...... anyone have a link to a aution league i coud look at???

From our by-laws

1. Draft is a 16-round auction style draft.

2. Each owner will have $100 "draft dollars" to use (only for the draft). Each owner takes a turn nominating a player to bid on. The nomination order will be in reverse order of the standings last year, with the SB runner-up and SB winner going last (regardless of W/L record). Any player can be nominated.

3. Minimum opening bid is $1 and bids cannot be upped for less than $1 or more than the total money a team has left (the person nominating a player is automatically the first bidder at a minimum of $1, but they can start the bidding out at any price).

4. All players cost a minimum of $1, so make sure you have enough money to bid on a player when we start getting towards the end (for ex. If you have five positions left to fill and only have $9, the most you can bid on any player is $5, allowing $4 for the other four positions).

-------

I strongly suggest using $100. $200 is OK but $100 is best as you know right off what % of the $$ you're talking about in any given situation and it's just plain easier/simpler. I guess $200 allows for smaller increments of bidding but IMO it's overkill. Anything other than one of those is IMO completely 'tarded.

Also agree on an impartial (ie not drafting) auctioneer if possible. It's do-able to bid and still do that, but it's a pain.

Edited by BeeR

From our by-laws

1. Draft is a 16-round auction style draft.

2. Each owner will have $100 "draft dollars" to use (only for the draft). Each owner takes a turn nominating a player to bid on. The nomination order will be in reverse order of the standings last year, with the SB runner-up and SB winner going last (regardless of W/L record). Any player can be nominated.

3. Minimum opening bid is $1 and bids cannot be upped for less than $1 or more than the total money a team has left (the person nominating a player is automatically the first bidder at a minimum of $1, but they can start the bidding out at any price).

4. All players cost a minimum of $1, so make sure you have enough money to bid on a player when we start getting towards the end (for ex. If you have five positions left to fill and only have $9, the most you can bid on any player is $5, allowing $4 for the other four positions).

-------

I strongly suggest using $100.  $200 is OK but $100 is best as you know right off what % of the $$ you're talking about in any given situation and it's just plain easier/simpler.  I guess $200 allows for smaller increments of bidding but IMO it's overkill.  Anything other than one of those is IMO completely 'tarded.

Also agree on an impartial (ie not drafting) auctioneer if possible.  It's do-able to bid and still do that, but it's a pain.

1486064[/snapback]

thanks beer

From our by laws

3) The Auction

The owners will buy 18 players for the following positions; Quarterback, Running back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, Kicker, Special Team/Defense. Owners will buy players at their own discretion. (i.e. as long as they have a starter(s) at each position. (See Starting Lineup)

Each owner will have $180 to spend on their team. (Salary Cap). You must have an 18 player roster. Minimum bid will be $1. Each owner will take turns nominating a player to be bid on. The order will be the order of finish last year.

Remember, you have only $180 to spend and you must have 18 players and be able to field a starting lineup. If during the course of the auction, an Owner makes an illegal bid (i.e. Runs out of Cap Room) that Owner will be penalized the amount of the overbid against the FA Cap $’s. The bidding will restart with the last legal bid. I.e. Turf Scorpions bid $34 on Michael Bennett but only have $31 of Cap Room, a $3 penalty will be taken from the $20 FA Cap, leaving them with $17 of FA Cap for the season.

Trades are encouraged and allowed any time during the auction (except during bidding). They can involve player(s) for player(s), player(s) for Cap $’s or player(s) for both Cap$ and player(s). If two players with different Cap values are traded even up, the value of both players will be the value of the lowest valued player.

Example 1 Red Dog’s trade Randy Moss (bought for $45) to Fort Knox for Hines Ward ($35). This gives the Red Dogs an extra $10 of Cap Room. This does not cost Fort Knox an extra $10 in Cap and Randy Moss is now valued at $35.

Example 2 CupCakes sell Eli Manning ($40) to Wall Street for $45. CupCakes only receive $40 of Cap Room not $45. You can only have $180 of Cap. However, $45 is accessed against Wall Streets Cap.

Example 3 Huskies trade Travis Henry ($65) to the Scammers for $35 Cap and Jamal Lewis ($35). Jamal Lewis Cap value is now $30 as Huskies can only have $180 of Cap. Henry’s value increases to $70 (35 + 35).

4) Party Players 2 Players will be randomly selected by the Auctioneer. The Owner(s) who select one of these players will be responsible for planning a party before Week 8. The idea is to get owners together to talk trade, smack, and have some fun. The Owners may have separate or combined parties.

We use $180 ($10 per player average). You can use any $$ amount. I have seen leagues that use $100,000 (to me that just means more work)

I have a buddy (sometimes two) to be the auctioneer. They keep track of cap $ and players auctioned.

Edited by T-Scorp

Yukon,

Here are our FA rules

06) Free Agents Each Owner will start with $20 FA Salary Cap. You may bid on any free agent (undrafted or released) from after NFL Season Week 1 until the first game of Week 12. This can be done on the website. All bids are sealed and will not be visible until 9:00 on Wednesday. Minimum bid is $1. (Ties will be broken by worst record getting player, second tie breaker is points scored, third is points scored against.) Owners will be notified by the website if they have the winning bid. If an owner submits an illegal bid the Website will award the player to the owner with the highest legal bid. You must submit a player to drop at the time you bid. If you pickup a free agent after the bidding deadline, that player will cost $3.

• 1 month later...

We use/display a spreadsheet to track how much remaining money each team has and what their maximum bid can be. It helps to keep things moving.

Good point. I've done this each year also, works out well and really helps make tracking who has what $ easier (so no one bids more than they have, etc). Very easy to do also.