[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need to cut my puppy's nails...

Duchess Jack

Yeah.. let a groomer do it.... :D

DOn't cut too short.. IIRC, they have lots of nerves, blood vessels, etc. that run into their claws (not way down in long claws, but right near the paw/claw intersect, and hurts like hell if you cut too short.

Edited by Big Country

Have the wifey hold him. Or you hold him and have wifey cut. When we cut her cat's nails, I'm the holder, she's the cutter. You can use "human" nail cutters, or purchase pet-specific ones. Just be careful, trim them incrementally, as you don't want to cut too far in, where they have nerve endings.

One of my pups will let me cut her nails with no problems. I could've submitted a video of me and the SO trying to cut the other pup's nails to America's Funniest Home Video. :D

She now runs under the dining room table if she even hears nail clippers. Take the pup to the groomer or be prepared for a funny story and a good workout.

Have the wifey hold him. Or you hold him and have wifey cut. When we cut her cat's nails, I'm the holder, she's the cutter. You can use "human" nail cutters, or purchase pet-specific ones. Just be careful, trim them incrementally, as you don't want to cut too far in, where they have nerve endings.

I'd use human clippers on a cat but not on a dog. No way.

Best for a groomer to take care of this job.

I grind my dogs nails with a Dremel. That's the way to go IMO. They're used to it. They just let me do it, it's part of our routine now. You have great control with a dremel as opposed to clippers, and it's much faster than trying to file them down.

I cut my dog's with those dog clippers that look kinda like a hole-punch. She's not happy about it, but I do it quick and get it over with.

Yesterday I snipped 3 too close and made the little bastage bleed. :D But she got over it, with the help of some delicious doggie treats. :D

So, my advice is: take the dog to a groomer. They charge like $5 for nails.

take the dog for a few long walks/runs on concrete. Never had to cut layla's nails.

:D That's not good for a Puppy's paws. Cut them or get them cut, don't let the concrete grind them. If the concrete can grind them, they're waaaayyyyy too long to begin with.

thanks everyone... I may just take him to a groomer.

my concern is that he is a black lab (mostly) and that his nails are black as well - so I have no way of knowing where that vein is.

Both mine are black labs. If you try it yourself...don't cut short!!!! The veins aren't as close to their paw as you think. Just nip off the pointed end. Don't try to actually cut into the nail.

Take it to a groomer though because I hear a cut nail on a pup is extremely painful. :D

Edited by TimC

Oh, and keep some baking soda handy. In case you do cut the quick, they'll bleed like a sonofabiitch, just put some baking soda on the nail, it'll stop the bleeding pretty fast.

This works better:

Styptic Powder.............

thanks everyone... I may just take him to a groomer.

my concern is that he is a black lab (mostly) and that his nails are black as well - so I have no way of knowing where that vein is.

Good choice. My first dog had white nails and would lay on her back while I cut them. My 2nd had all black nails and trimming the just the tip didn't last. My current dog (some white, some black nails) gets a bath at the groomer every 2 months or so, so they do it.