[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Green Egg Follow Up

Atlanta Cracker

First of all, Egg is always capitalized.

Second, do not debate. Do not consider. Do not wonder. Do not pass Go. Get an Egg. It is the most amazing, and versatile, grill/smoker you can own. As I may have mentioned in the past, there are so few items that you will ever buy that will so far exceed your expectations as the Egg.

Peruse the site and the message board:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php

I'm sure it's an outstanding grill, but at that price it better come with it's own hooker. Honestly, what makes it so much better than a Weber? I'd love to have one, but I know I could never justify spending that much even if I cooked on the thing every day.

I'm sure it's an outstanding grill, but at that price it better come with it's own hooker. Honestly, what makes it so much better than a Weber? I'd love to have one, but I know I could never justify spending that much even if I cooked on the thing every day.

Can you smoke something for 18 hours on a weber? Does the weber hold and maintain temp as long as the Egg?

(I'm rushed and have to leave now)

Can you smoke something for 18 hours on a weber? Does the weber hold and maintain temp as long as the Egg?

Probably not but I just don't have the patience to smoke something for 18 hours. Smoking a brisket for 8 hours pushed my limits. I was sauced when it came time to finally eat.

I can't imagine I'd want to. Is that really worth the extra $500+? :D

...made of modern heat holding ceramics.

...can reuse about 80% of the charcoal.

...temperature accuracy within two degrees. You have total control.

With the Big Green Egg® you can smoke foods exactly the way you like them.

The BGE® is a smoker, a grill, and an oven.

...foods do not dry out, as in metal charcoal, gas, or electric grills.

...ceramic surface stays cooler than a metal cooker.

...natural and wholesome flavor to all your foods--with no metallic taste.

...suitable for all year use, even in freezing temperatures.

...porcelain glaze bonded to the ceramic.

...porcelain coated grill is easy to clean.

EFFICIENT

The Heavy Duty Big Green Egg® is made of modern heat holding ceramics. The ceramic walls are heavy and thick. This insulating quality cooks foods with an amazingly small consumption of charcoal. A 20 LB bag of natural charcoal will usually provide four to six months use, even if you cook out several times per week. When you are through cooking, just close the lid and the top and bottom drafts to extinguish the fire. You can reuse about 80% of the charcoal. This feature alone will pay for your Big Green Egg® in a short time.

EASY TEMPERATURE CONTROL

By adjusting the dampers, you can attain a temperature accuracy within two degrees. You have total control. You can do your grilling, barbecuing, smoking, and baking at exactly the temperatures you need. The optional heat gauge will give precise readings of temperature, from 50° to 750°. We have included a cookbook with recipes and easy instructions. You'll get great results from the start.

THE WORLD'S BEST SMOKER

Smoking is done at lower temperatures—usually between 150° and 250°. Add some moistened wood chips to the glowing charcoal for flavor. Your Egg® gives you control of the degree of smoked flavor. You can have just a hint of smoke, or have your meats smoked through to the bone. With the Big Green Egg® you can smoke foods exactly the way you like them.

EASY TO START

Lighting is quick without starter fluid regardless of wind conditions. All you need are a few sheets of newspaper. The air flow works like a fireplace. The Big Green Egg® will be at operating temperature and ready to use in less than ten minutes. You can use an electric lighter for even greater convenience.

A COMPLETE OUTDOOR COOKER

The BGE® is a smoker, a grill, and an oven. You can do an entire meal at once by including your veggies—corn, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, etc. are superb! There are even deserts you can enjoy from the Egg®. The cookbook has many more suggestions.

MOISTURE RETENTION

The Big Green Egg® ceramics hold heat and moisture extremely well. For this reason, foods do not dry out, as in metal charcoal, gas, or electric grills. Natural juices and flavors enhance the taste. The BGE® operates without the need for water or endless hours of tending. Meats and other foods are juicier, with little or no shrinkage.

SAFER TO USE

The Big Green Egg® is safer to use because the ceramic surface stays cooler than a metal cooker. This protection is most important around small children.

NATURAL FLAVORS

The ceramic Big Green Egg® gives a natural and wholesome flavor to all your foods—with no metallic taste. When baking, you'll get a "brick-oven" flavor and crust. Bake a bread or a pizza in your Big Green Egg® and see for yourself.

YEAR-AROUND USAGE

You can use The Big Green Egg® in all climates. Rain and snow cannot harm it. It is suitable for all year use, even in freezing temperatures. The BGE® can be priceless in emergencies.

EASY CLEAN UP

The exterior has a lifetime porcelain glaze bonded to the ceramic. This permanent finish maintains its good looks and wipes clean easily. Inside, the heat will burn off any grease and splatters much like a self-cleaning oven. The porcelain coated grill is easy to clean. When your cookout is over you'll have less than a handful of ash to remove.

LIFETIME CERAMIC GUARANTEE

Heavy Duty Big Green Egg® ceramics will not become brittle with use like the fire-clay kamados of old. These new space age ceramics will withstand 2000 ° of heat without damage. Sear your steaks and fish at 700° or more. Smoke your roast or ham at 200° or less. Your Big Green Egg® will maintain the temperature you set, and perform superbly at high and low temperatures!

why won't it sell? Asking too much or not advertising enough?

For sale by owner? I've noticed quite a few "For Sale by Owners" staying on the market for a long time lately. IMO, I really think a house has to have great curb appeal, location, and all of the updates to successfully pull off a "For Sale by Owner."

For sale by owner? I've noticed quite a few "For Sale by Owners" staying on the market for a long time lately. IMO, I really think a house has to have great curb appeal, location, and all of the updates to successfully pull off a "For Sale by Owner."

I may be atypical, but I sold my condo in 5 days FSBO with an ad on craigslist.

I may be atypical, but I sold my condo in 5 days FSBO with an ad on craigslist.

That's awesome. I know a guy that has had his house up FSBO for over a year now while houses around him are selling. :D

IMO, I think, if you know what you're doing AND you're asking the right price a FSBO is the way to go. We bought our house from a FSBO but the guy was clueless about what he was doing and he submitted a inaccurate/false home disclosure. We sued, he fought it, he lost, and he lost a ton of money (20K plus).

I'll never buy from a FSBO again but that's due to my experience.

Wow, we really hijacked this thread. :D

why won't it sell? Asking too much or not advertising enough?

Flooded market. Prospective buyers commented that the price was too high. I had priced it based on the recommendation of the agent, and then lowered it to her new suggested amount. No bites.

I won't lower the price again, though. I will either sit on it or look to another avenue of sale.

Ok, next question....how do I convince my wife that we need one?

In reference to your other question about the extra $$ for the Egg, this is what did it for me:

I wanted a top of the line grill. I wanted a top of the line smoker. I did not want propane because I enjoy charcoal flavor much more. I priced grills. I priced smokers. I priced the Egg. I researched for about a year before purchasing one. I spent time at the BGE website/message board. I believe the overall versatility of the Egg far surpasses the typical weber type grill. The ability of the Egg to maintain temp with out burning up tons of charcoal, the flavor imparted, the overall moisture of the food, and the ease of use is amazing. It is my favorite toy.

Now, onto the question of how you convince your wife. For me, it was more a job to convince myself. I am a pretty frugal person. I don't buy much for myself. My wife knew I was researching grills and she knows I love to cook. When I told her what I wanted and the cost, she looked at me and told me to go get one. She acted like I was silly for bringing it up for discussion.

I don't know your wife. I don't know how you convince her. Perhaps you could threaten to withhold sex from her?

Well, compared to a regular old grill for $100, sure the Egg is pricey. But as far as I can tell it will be the last grill I ever own and If you compare it to the fancy gas grills out there is actually a pretty good bargain.

My suggestion is to find someone in your area with an egg and get them to cook something up to share with Michele. OR, you could make a trip to Atlanta to visit us and we could cook on it ourselves and she'd get to experience it first hand!