[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Back from the Dead!

billay

So I get up this morning, coffee in hand, ready to read my paper and catch up on the late night posters. I lean down to turn on my computer and click............nothing. Click Click................... no sign of life whatsoever from the computer. Great, now how much is this going to cost me? A new motherboard? Worse yet, a new computer? (Which we do not have the funds for right now.) After a few minutes online with the Dell Tech, and some self diagnostics, finally decide its the power supply. Run down to the local computer store to pick one up, only $30 :D Pull out the old one, pop in the new one and power on.......It comes to life, but with lots of strange noises and nothing on the monitor.....turn it off again and open it up. Whoops, RAM wasn't in properly. Try again, Hard Drives not recognized...Swith their places and..........

EUREKA!! It's ALIVE!!! ALIVE!!!!

Of course, the whole thing totally blew my afternoon, but its better than a wad of cash.

Just thought I'd share, and I'm glad to be back.

I just had to get a new HD last week.

i like to drink lipton iced tea, the sugar-sweetened kind from the can. a few weeks ago, our toddler was carrying around some pepperoni we gave her and was about to put her greasy mitts on the couch. i jumped up from the table and knocked my tea all over my powerbook. i immediately pulled out the battery, unplugged it and turned it upside down, but i had no idea what to do after that. i looked online for help. the local mac repair shop charged $250 just to open it and clean it. after reading a bunch of stuff online, i opened the computer up myself, removed the keyboard, soaked it in 91 percent isopropyl alcohol to get the stickiness out and then used q-tips and alcohol to remove some sticky blobs on the motherboard. i dried it for the rest of the day and, miraculously, it worked. saved myself a ton of money, even if it was kinda stupid to begin with.

i also learned that if you spill something on a laptop or keyboard, you can soak the whole thing in distilled water. seems counterintuitive, but distilled water is de-ionized and won't conduct electricity.

I haven't bought a new computer since 1997. I just keep upgrading parts one at a time. New motherboard... new case... new graphics card... new RAM... new hard drive... new OS... repeat.

:D I upgrade the PC when a new OS makes it feasaible, and a new flat screen adds to the allure. :D Slickdeals.net... Dell deals kick ass now.

I haven't bought a new computer since 1997. I just keep upgrading parts one at a time. New motherboard... new case... new graphics card... new RAM... new hard drive... new OS... repeat.

That's kinda cool.....your computer is nearly 10 years old and yet.....it's not.