[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my freakin transmission is shot

wcd480

Ok so my car has been shifting really hard and making a funny whiring sound for a couple months. I took it into get checked out and they told me I need a new transmission. Wonderful news as you can imagine. They gave me some options all of them equating out to about 2000-2500. I am going to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, and I am leaning towards getting the repairs done, but I have a question in mind.

The balance on my loan is about 2500 and I am now wondering if I would be better off just buying a new one. It is a 99 olds intrigue gl with 85000 miles on it and according to the blue book is worth about 3300 in trade (not factoring in the transmission problems). Can someone explain to me how it works trading in a car with a balance left on the loan? Do I have to pay off that loan, in addition to the new one I would be taking on or does it work out somehow with the dealer.

So whats the prognosis: better off fixing or going with a new one and would a dealer even take it in trade with the current problems?

Ok so my car has been shifting really hard and making a funny whiring sound for a couple months. I took it into get checked out and they told me I need a new transmission. Wonderful news as you can imagine. They gave me some options all of them equating out to about 2000-2500. I am going to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, and I am leaning towards getting the repairs done, but I have a question in mind.

The balance on my loan is about 2500 and I am now wondering if I would be better off just buying a new one. It is a 99 olds intrigue gl with 85000 miles on it and according to the blue book is worth about 3300 in trade (not factoring in the transmission problems). Can someone explain to me how it works trading in a car with a balance left on the loan? Do I have to pay off that loan, in addition to the new one I would be taking on or does it work out somehow with the dealer.

So whats the prognosis: better off fixing or going with a new one and would a dealer even take it in trade with the current problems?

A 7 year old Olds Intrigue with 85k on it has just about seen the last of it's useful life! I work on many of these cars and they really start to fall apart at or around 100k.

A 7 year old Olds Intrigue with 85k on it has just about seen the last of it's useful life! I work on many of these cars and they really start to fall apart at or around 100k.

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but thanks for chiming in.

I've traded in a car that was worth less than I owed on it. They call it being "upside-down" on the loan.

It's not a problem for the car dealership. They just roll the difference between the loan payoff and the trade-in value into the new loan. You don't have to pay it off right then.

And get a 3.73 gear ratio for when you drag race it. :D

It really depends on how long you wanna keep it whether to dump it or not. Nothing better than driving a free car with no payments!

I've traded in a car that was worth less than I owed on it. They call it being "upside-down" on the loan.

It's not a problem for the car dealership. They just roll the difference between the loan payoff and the trade-in value into the new loan. You don't have to pay it off right then.

May have to go with this. I hadn't planned on getting rid of it for a long time and I even put new tires on it about 2 months ago. I sort of wanted to drive it into the ground, looks like that may not have been quite as long as I thought it would be.

I had 2 replacement trannies within the first 5 years of ownership on a Chrysler. The first one, just after the warranty expired, the dealership said $2500. I said I'll pick it up in an hour. After 3 more calls, I got it for free. The second time, after 2 phone calls, I settled on me=$300, the dealer=the rest. The third time it started to go I traded it in on a Honda!

From the way I understand it, the company's regional rep gets "Good Will" money to appeaze customers. The dealer can appeal to this rep and help themselves and the customer out. Mind you my car was NOT 7 yo. But it's worth a try. Good Luck!

Edit for:

It was a 1994, the first tranny went out around 36K miles. The second around 48K miles.

Edited by rocknrobn26

If you have to do that, make sure you get it in writing that they will pay off the rest of the loan on the old car. Personally I'd never trade in a vehicle thats worth less than whats owed. Your throwing your money away.

Not sure when your payoff is, but if you think you can get a year or two out of it after its paid off I'd personally go that route. 162,000 miles on my Ranger and I just put in a new clutch. I figure the new clutch was approximately 2-3 months of new truck payments. Was an easy choice for me.

ETA: If you find yourself wanting to get a new vehicle, I recommend this site: link

Edited by Wolv

If you have to do that, make sure you get it in writing that they will pay off the rest of the loan on the old car. Personally I'd never trade in a vehicle thats worth less than whats owed. Your throwing your money away.

Not sure when your payoff is, but if you think you can get a year or two out of it after its paid off I'd personally go that route. 162,000 miles on my Ranger and I just put in a new clutch. I figure the new clutch was approximately 2-3 months of new truck payments. Was an easy choice for me.

ETA: If you find yourself wanting to get a new vehicle, I recommend this site: link

It will be paid off in about a year. I am trying to look like you said, the money I put into in repair is the same as the money I would put into it in car payments in the future. The only problem with that is I have to pay it now and not in the future.

Anyway after new tires, a new set of window motors (biggest auto scam on the planet, different story...) and this new transmission I will have sunk 3000+ into in the last year. Considering I still owe 2500ish off the 11,000 I paid for it I am thinking I would still come out ahead in keeping it as opposed to buying a new one.

So I think I will probably be biting the bullet and dropping a new tranny in it. On a totally unrelated note I am collecting money for the poor via my paypal account, if anyone wants to donate :D

I had 2 replacement trannies within the first 5 years of ownership on a Chrysler. The first one, just after the warranty expired, the dealership said $2500. I said I'll pick it up in an hour. After 3 more calls, I got it for free. The second time, after 2 phone calls, I settled on me=$300, the dealer=the rest. The third time it started to go I traded it in on a Honda!

From the way I understand it, the company's regional rep gets "Good Will" money to appeaze customers. The dealer can appeal to this rep and help themselves and the customer out. Mind you my car was NOT 7 yo. But it's worth a try. Good Luck!

Edit for:

It was a 1994, the first tranny went out around 36K miles. The second around 48K miles.

I am well past the stage where a dealer would pick up the bill for anything. That and I don't think I am a smooth enough talker to convince them to give me stuff for free anyway.

Not sure when your payoff is, but if you think you can get a year or two out of it after its paid off I'd personally go that route.

That was not an option for me. The head was warped on that old piece of crap, and after three repairs in two years that cost a total of about $5K... I was facing a fourth and decided to bail.