[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fathers Day presents

nuke'em ttg

I may well be the luckiest man alive. :D

My Fathers' Day present? I get to listen to my oldest daughter deliver her Valedictorian Speech at her High School Graduation -- just five days after pitching her varsity softball team, the BFA St. Albans Comets, to a 1-0 state championship game victory over #2 Essex, their arch rivals, to complete a SECOND consecutive perfect 20-0 state championship season ... Essex only lost twice this season -- both times to Kater & BFA. Kater threw complete game shutouts in the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. It is a magical, priceless time.

Kate's valedictorian theme? Giving back to the community. Finding what you love and finding a way to use that to make life better for others. She's going to talk about Everet Johnson, the elderly pitching coach who was her Yoda -- who taught her tirelessly, despite being too weak to stand at times (she'd carry his lawn chair for him so he could sit near the mound) ... and all he asked in return was that one day, she teach someone. She's taken that to heart and runs softball clinics and offers free lessons to youngsters throughout the year. She expanded it to serve as a peer tutor throughout the year as well, helping kids with chemistry, physics, calculus, and French ... Everet's deceased, but he'd be so proud of how she took his request to heart.

The speech will be enough ... No need for gifts ... but maybe she'll let me have one of the plaques she received at awards night:

Gatorade Softball Player of the Year for Vermont

The Everet Johnson Memorial Softball Scholarship

The National Honor Society Leadership Scholarship

BFA Student Athlete of the Year from the VT Athletic Directors

Student of the Year, BFA Math Department

Student of the Year, BFA Science Department

Student of the Year, BFA World Languages Department

That's a nice haul by a kid who has worked soooo hard -- not to mention serving as the "Assistant General Manager for Random Decision Making" for each of the fantasy football teams in the Donutrun Empire.

As I said, I may be the luckiest man alive. :D

PS -- Though Ben Roethlisberger is certainly pretty close ...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Fathers' Day present? I get to listen to my oldest daughter deliver her Valedictorian Speech at her High School Graduation -- just five days after pitching her varsity softball team, the BFA St. Albans Comets, to a 1-0 state championship game victory over #2 Essex, their arch rivals, to complete a SECOND consecutive perfect 20-0 state championship season ... Essex only lost twice this season -- both times to Kater & BFA. Kater threw complete game shutouts in the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. It is a magical, priceless time.

Kate's valedictorian theme? Giving back to the community. Finding what you love and finding a way to use that to make life better for others. She's going to talk about Everet Johnson, the elderly pitching coach who was her Yoda -- who taught her tirelessly, despite being too weak to stand at times (she'd carry his lawn chair for him so he could sit near the mound) ... and all he asked in return was that one day, she teach someone. She's taken that to heart and runs softball clinics and offers free lessons to youngsters throughout the year. She expanded it to serve as a peer tutor throughout the year as well, helping kids with chemistry, physics, calculus, and French ... Everet's deceased, but he'd be so proud of how she took his request to heart.

The speech will be enough ... No need for gifts ... but maybe she'll let me have one of the plaques she received at awards night:

That's a nice haul by a kid who has worked soooo hard -- not to mention serving as the "Assistant General Manager for Random Decision Making" for each of the fantasy football teams in the Donutrun Empire.

Very nice DJ. The best Father's Day gift is those that make you just well up with pride. Congrats!

For my Dad, he has to wait until the following Friday when the wife and I are taking Dad & Mom to a nice restaurant for dinner and then to the Reading Phillies game.

For me, just picking up a couple of skirt steaks and cooking 'em on the grill with the wife - nice quiet time at home! :D

I get to take the kids to a soccer tournament, 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Time with the kids is all I need (I'm the coach) so I'm very happy with this.

Also have Father's Day tourney on Sat & Sun. Coach's name is Kevin. Any chance it's you?

I won't be there Sat. - I have father/son fishing w/ cub scouts.

But it's to the soccer field on Sunday and who knows what else.

:D Great stuff

SWEET!!! Where is she going to college?

She chose Saint Michael's College here in Vermont. Division II ball, has the chemistry/math programs she wants ... She knows the coaches and her catcher has been recruited to go as well, so the dynamic duo is ready to make that jump to the next level together. Life is good.

She chose Saint Michael's College here in Vermont. Division II ball, has the chemistry/math programs she wants ... She knows the coaches and her catcher has been recruited to go as well, so the dynamic duo is ready to make that jump to the next level together. Life is good.

:D I wish her the best of luck in the future.

I ended up buying him a gift card from a local department store. The beautiful thing about it is that I was already buying something for myself, so it required no extra effort. :D

Got me the playboy shirt with all of the magazine covers on it. Been wanting that for a few years. Breaking it out at a golf outing in mid July. Also got a few T Shirts.

Nice Fathers Day this year.