[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your style when drafting?

cliaz

Do you go for RB, RB, RB and build your team around a solid back field

or

Do you go RB, WR, QB grabbing the top players in each position to have impact players in those positions?

or do you have another method you like to use when draft starts?

of course for aution drafts

do you set limits on a position (example: I wont spend more than $55 for my 1st RB, ect)?

Do you hold off and let other people spend their money and them make a move?

Do you target select players and go in with the full intention of getting them?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the rules. If it's PPR, the I will consider RB, WR start then follow up with best available. Else I usually like to start RB, RB, WR, WR.

But with this yearyear's crop of RBs I may just go with RB and then best talent available.

My drafting style is to draft as many tier 1 players as possible. :D

Seriously, I don't think you can really go into a draft determined to get specific positions. You really have to be able to roll with the flow of the draft and try your best to predict what the rest of the owners will do between your picks to maximize the value of each pick. If you go in dead set on taking specific positions, you are bound to miss out on better value somewhere along the way.

I pick the player that I think will help my team the most...I can't say that it falls to any type of style. I have drafted a QB in the first round before, although I didn;t find that I liked that strategy. I have gone WR-WR. I have gone RB-WR, RB-QB, WR-RB. I have drafted many different ways.

One thing I try not to do is get caught up in player hype, IE why I wouldn't have considered drafting Manning in the first round last year. LT, SA, and now LJ are the lone exceptions, and previously those players were M Faulk or P Holmes. It changes over time.

I look for players that have performed with some consistancy over players that have just had a quick flash in the pan. That I learned from William Green, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, and a few others.

I never draft an RB the year after ACL surgery. And I tend to shy away from WRs with the same.

I prefer to draft multiple decent option lower tier QBs instead of trying to grab one early. Depth at key positions comes out over the course of a season.

I use to believe RB, RB, RB was the way to go (had some success in the past with it) but I got my azz handed to me last year when none of my wideouts cracked the top-20 in stats over the season.

You have to be flexible, know the scoring rules, and know your oppenents tendencies before going into the draft. A good drafting strategy is a good starting point, but during the draft the unexpected will often happen, so you must learn how to adjust accordingly and be flexible.

I pick the player that I think will help my team the most

Wurd. And I never draft a QB until the 6th or 7th round. And I try to grab RB's early, but if there's a WR that I can't pass on, I have no problem grabbing one early.

I think the strategy depends on several issues...

1. the scoring format you use or if you have made any changes to that format (Last season we changed to 1 pt/ rec and the value of WR went UP!!)

2. The owners preferences in your league. We have 2 owners that love to have that #1 RB and will tend to bid him up up up. Know your enemy!

3. How the draft/Auction is going and who is going early and who is going late? Auctions tend to take on a life of their own in the later stages. Be prepared to adapt your strategy or have back up plans ready. Last year, I was set at RB but L Johnson hadn't been out until late, the Priest owner was going to get him cheap, so I got in the bidding to at least make him pay and got "stuck" with LJ... Worked out OK anyway!

4. What are your Starter and Roster RQ... If you have a big roster, waivers could be harder to find and you may want to draft consistency, smaller rosters means better waiver wires and you can then be more agressive unless the other owners in the leagus are waiver wire maniacs (see #2).

Just some random thoughts for me going into a draft.

:D

Yer funny today. What gives? :D

Funny? Hadn't noticed.

Anyways, every now and then, I'll announce my draft pick in a Lou Rawlsian type voice, which I think is quite stylish.

fwiw I also like to mold my team based on what i did in the earlier rounds...

ie: Lets say I drafted a guy like Andre Johnson who has all the talent in the world but could fall on his face again...later in the draft I am gonna be looking for a solid vet...

the same is true if I had drafted say someone like Derek Mason who is gonna be a safe solid VET in the later rounds I will be looking for a younger guy with upside

oh and i really look at what the other teams have btwn my picks to see if a guy will fall or not

Edited by keggerz

Funny? Hadn't noticed.

Anyways, every now and then, I'll announce my draft pick in a Lou Rawlsian type voice, which I think is quite stylish.

That would be stylish. I prefer Barry White voice...For my next pick I choose (spit out chix wing bone) RB Larry Johnson KC...Baby

Edited by dfv87

In a redraft, I always grab RB's in the 1st two rounds just so I'm at least set in that position. After that I almost always grab the best available WR then come back for another RB or QB depending on what's available. Always seemed to work well for me, but I have to admitt that I haven't been in a traditional redraft for the past 2 years.

I try to draft the players that will score the most points ...

Hmmm...... :D

I hadn't really thought of this before. Blitz has touched on a very underrated strategy here.

Good info Blitz. Keep it coming guy! :D

Depends on my draft position.

Early positional picks usu go RB WR WR

Mid positional picks usu go RB QB(if Manning available) WR

Late positional picks usu RB RB WR or RB WR RB

I try a bit of everything though, sometimes drafting 3 RBs in first 3 rounds. Really comes down to best available. But like Yo said, my first 7 rounds consist of 3-4 RBs, 2-3 WRs, and 1 QB

Edited by Wolv

I use to try and stick with the RB,RB, WR, QB thing but I found that that'll get you nowhere fast and rarely wins championships. Now I just flip a coin.

Not really, but if I told you that I have spread sheets and draft trackers you'd think I was a nerd.

Hmmm...... :D

I hadn't really thought of this before. Blitz has touched on a very underrated strategy here.

Good info Blitz. Keep it coming guy! :D

Where have you been?

Blitz has been touting this strategy for years. Its akin to his "start the players that are going to score the most points" theory.