[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

say what you will about soccer ...

montster

... but i love the idea of 45-50 minutes of continuous, commercial-less sports broadcasting, followed by a 15-minute half, followed by another 45-50 minutes of continuous, commercial-less sports broadcasting. obviously, it doesn't work in every sport, but it does go to show how bloated the nba finals and stanley cup finals broadcasts are. how come halftimes/intermissions seem twice as long in the nba and nhl finals?

... but i love the idea of 45-50 minutes of continuous, commercial-less sports broadcasting, followed by a 15-minute half, followed by another 45-50 minutes of continuous, commercial-less sports broadcasting. obviously, it doesn't work in every sport, but it does go to show how bloated the nba finals and stanley cup finals broadcasts are. how come halftimes/intermissions seem twice as long in the nba and nhl finals?

So they can cram more commercials in, silly. The NBA, NHL and NFL are all in the pockets of the TV companies. FIFA isn't. Or at least, not here. FIFA and soccer in general makes a boatload of money from TV elsewhere but the TV companies in the rest of the world know better than to mess with a winning product.

One thing that bugs me a bit about the production is when they show the starting line ups, it takes up 50% of the screen, and I have seen a few close plays that were blocked by that extremely large graphic.

And my other bone to pick is the horrible announcers. They mix up names left and right. Once I saw them show a graphic of 2 players and they mixed the two teams up, and none of the announcers caught it. These guys make John madden sounds like a quality announcer.

But so far aside from the play of USA and Poland, it’s been a great cup.

One thing that bugs me a bit about the production is when they show the starting line ups, it takes up 50% of the screen, and I have seen a few close plays that were blocked by that extremely large graphic.

And my other bone to pick is the horrible announcers. They mix up names left and right. Once I saw them show a graphic of 2 players and they mixed the two teams up, and none of the announcers caught it. These guys make John madden sounds like a quality announcer.

But so far aside from the play of USA and Poland, it’s been a great cup.

Agreed - the graphics with the totally irrelevant stats are a pain in the ass.

If no one watches, there's no great call for commercials, so soccer gets broadcast commercial free in the US ... the bigger mystery is who pays for commercials during hockey games!! :D

I read something is SI, and these are not the exact numbers but they are close.

The NFL gets 70% of revenue from TV while hockey gets 2% of revenue from TV.

Love soccer, always have.

However, as a sports gambler, it SUCKS. IMO there is NO other sport that is more difficult to bet on.

Case in point, today I bet a 3-game parlay: Holland, Argentina and Mexico - all to win. Holland and Argentina lived up to their side of the bargain, but Mexico TIED. This is the main issue: these games can end in ties... so it adds yet another dimension to the betting structure.

I bet $12 to win like $25. Not great odds, especially for a 3-game parlay. Betting on a singular game is even worse (it was like $20 to win $7 on the Germany/Poland game the other day). I'm officially out of the soccer-betting business. I'll just watch the games for the enjoyment now.

:D