[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Korea vs France

spain

I hate France. I hate everything about the French. I pray that if there is ever another World War, that they are on the opposite side. The are slimy lying scumbags. Rude, arrogant, irrelevant, and stupid. They are the enemy of the United States and sneak around behind our backs trying to do harm to us. Screw them. I hope they lose this game against a very very weak South Korean squad.

As much as you hate the French, I heard somewhere that they are actually our biggest ally in the war on terror. :D

It will always be hard for me to side with the French after they didn't let our bombers fly over their territory so we could bomb Libya in '86.

It will always be hard for me to side with the French after they didn't let our bombers fly over their territory so we could bomb Libya in '86.

Do you think the US would allow any other country to fly over our airspace to bomb another?

[devilsadvocate]

I hope I'm not the only huddler who remembers Sam Kinison's comment regarding the Americans accidentally hitting the French embassy in Tripoli during that bombing run...

Maybe we'd have had better aim if we'd had more SLEEEEEEP

Of course given that we went to war to save South Korea even more recently than we went to war and bailed out France and given that South Korea seems even less grateful than France for our defence of their country, I say f' the South Koreans.

I hope I'm not the only huddler who remembers Sam Kinison's comment regarding the Americans accidentally hitting the French embassy in Tripoli during that bombing run...

Maybe we'd have had better aim if we'd had more SLEEEEEEP

:D That was classic Sam!!!!

As much as you hate the French, I heard somewhere that they are actually our biggest ally in the war on terror. :D

Well, when the "somewhere" you hear stuff from is The Nation and Moveon.org, then you get that sort of bs. dude, I swear you get dumber by the minute...

well it has been painfully obvious that partisanship at thehuddle leads to viewing these games with, as they say in France "candied yams in the eyes". This is my best at being objective and avoiding that trap:

- France dominated the game from beginning to end. After a disastrous match against Switzerland, they finaly woke up and played like they can. Very unlucky result.

- Korea, obviously was playing for the tie. Which is a sound strategy. They were going for the counter attack goal, and maximized on one of their very few scoring opportunities

-I am pretty sure I am on record saying that Barthez sucks. I said it early and often in this game. I have witnesses. His timid playing has been disastrous, and he almost let in two goals against switzerland earlier. I am pretty sure that wiegie will verify that. He cost france the win. And I am pretty sure that he now has the Yips. I was having a tough time explaining the term to french viewers today. I hope and pray that the french coach has the huevos to replace him with Coupet who is a far better keeper at this point

-Riberry who was so awful last week (I mean the worst I have ever seen a french player in an internationally capped game) did well as a a spark as a late sub

-To all of you morons who commented on the refereeing of the US game (which was strict but fair, and in an analogy that you are sure to understand, like baseball, all refs have different zones, as long as they remain consistent we're all good) I am curious on how you feel on the obvious goal by France that was disalowed. And Zidane will miss next game for the softest yellow card you have ever seen in your life (he got a yellow card last week for arguing a call). So Spain, remember that you were up in arms yesterday for harsh punishments for unequal crimes: I hope you are outraged that one of the greatest players in the last decade will be barred for having questioned a call, and for a very mild push in the back trying to stop his momentum. You know, the same as a guy trying to break another fellow's nose with his elbow.

- Zidane is now like Gretzky just before he retired: still the best field general in the world, though no longer a scoring threat

- I feel pretty good about France vs Togo, just hope that it is not out of their hands (ie mathematically out from the result of the other game)

-To all of you morons who commented on the refereeing of the US game (which was strict but fair, and in an analogy that you are sure to understand, like baseball, all refs have different zones, as long as they remain consistent we're all good)

Sac, I respect your opinions, however the refereeing of the US game was atrocious. Every single media account of the game worldwide that I read talked about how such bad officiating could be allowed in an event of such magnitude.

Sac, I respect your opinions, however the refereeing of the US game was atrocious. Every single media account of the game worldwide that I read talked about how such bad officiating could be allowed in an event of such magnitude.

1) :D

2) please tell me how a yellow card which is well within the rules and parameters of refereeing is worse than a disallowed goal that clealry crossed the goal mouth.

- I am curious on how you feel on the obvious goal by France that was disalowed. And Zidane will miss next game for the softest yellow card you have ever seen in your life (he got a yellow card last week for arguing a call). So Spain, remember that you were up in arms yesterday for harsh punishments for unequal crimes: I hope you are outraged that one of the greatest players in the last decade will be barred for having questioned a call, and for a very mild push in the back trying to stop his momentum. You know, the same as a guy trying to break another fellow's nose with his elbow.

I did not see much of this game at all to be honest, so I cant comment specifically on that goal or the red card on Zidane. But I would not be surprised at anything the ref's do in World Cup action after watching the way the USA got completely screwed against the Italians. Perhaps the refs in this game were trying to make up for the that corrupt French figure skating judge in the Olympics, I dont know. But something is terribly wrong with this sport on a number of levels.

I absolutely fail to see why I should care about ANY soccer game

Ever try to tell someone why football means so much to fantasy football fans and you get a look like :D Same thing.

And I'll never understand why people get so emotional (read: riots, etc.) over soccer. I love me some football and baseball, but not enough to riot against police and stuff. :D Only LA and Detroit people do that...:D

I absolutely fail to see why I should care about ANY soccer game

The more I see of it, the less I like. It seems more about corruption, bad sportsmanship, diving, politics, hooliganism, racism, and completely biased officiating. This WC has opened my eyes to what soccer really is on the global level. And I dont like alot of what I see....

well it has been painfully obvious that partisanship at thehuddle leads to viewing these games with, as they say in France "candied yams in the eyes". This is my best at being objective and avoiding that trap:

- France dominated the game from beginning to end. After a disastrous match against Switzerland, they finaly woke up and played like they can. Very unlucky result.

- Korea, obviously was playing for the tie. Which is a sound strategy. They were going for the counter attack goal, and maximized on one of their very few scoring opportunities

-I am pretty sure I am on record saying that Barthez sucks. I said it early and often in this game. I have witnesses. His timid playing has been disastrous, and he almost let in two goals against switzerland earlier. I am pretty sure that wiegie will verify that. He cost france the win. And I am pretty sure that he now has the Yips. I was having a tough time explaining the term to french viewers today. I hope and pray that the french coach has the huevos to replace him with Coupet who is a far better keeper at this point

-Riberry who was so awful last week (I mean the worst I have ever seen a french player in an internationally capped game) did well as a a spark as a late sub

-To all of you morons who commented on the refereeing of the US game (which was strict but fair, and in an analogy that you are sure to understand, like baseball, all refs have different zones, as long as they remain consistent we're all good) I am curious on how you feel on the obvious goal by France that was disalowed. And Zidane will miss next game for the softest yellow card you have ever seen in your life (he got a yellow card last week for arguing a call). So Spain, remember that you were up in arms yesterday for harsh punishments for unequal crimes: I hope you are outraged that one of the greatest players in the last decade will be barred for having questioned a call, and for a very mild push in the back trying to stop his momentum. You know, the same as a guy trying to break another fellow's nose with his elbow.

- Zidane is now like Gretzky just before he retired: still the best field general in the world, though no longer a scoring threat

- I feel pretty good about France vs Togo, just hope that it is not out of their hands (ie mathematically out from the result of the other game)

mastroeni's red card was warranted. but your calling zidane's foul "very mild" is just as partisan as u.s. fans saying the same thing about pope's. it's not that the ref in the u.s.-italy match was simply strict; it's that he was inconsistent. there were plenty of tacklers equally as aggressive as pope's for which the ref did not card anyone. pope has been criticized for making that tackle despite knowing how tight the refs have been in issuing yellow cards. perhaps zidane should've known that, too, especially since he already had received one. and there's no way you can compare zidane's missing a game for two yellows to de rossi's flagrant foul, not when de rossi is said to be facing more than a one-game penalty.

i agree that france should've had that second goal. to me, it's one of the more egregious of what have been many questionable calls and no-calls.

i admit i haven't watched a ton of international soccer, but, sac, i'm wondering if you think fifa's mandate that referees call these games so tightly actually encourages players to flop. i guess the alternative -- looser-called games -- could lead to more injuries, but i'm wondering if fifa's mandate was made because of injuries, and whether anyone has ever looked to see if fewer players have ended up hurt because of tighter officiating.

the feeling i got was that international media felt the game was called fairly. link

mastroeni's red card was warranted. but your calling zidane's foul "very mild" is just as partisan as u.s. fans saying the same thing about pope's. it's not that the ref in the u.s.-italy match was simply strict; it's that he was inconsistent. there were plenty of tacklers equally as aggressive as pope's for which the ref did not card anyone. pope has been criticized for making that tackle despite knowing how tight the refs have been in issuing yellow cards. perhaps zidane should've known that, too, especially since he already had received one. and there's no way you can compare zidane's missing a game for two yellows to de rossi's flagrant foul, not when de rossi is said to be facing more than a one-game penalty.

i agree that france should've had that second goal. to me, it's one of the more egregious of what have been many questionable calls and no-calls.

i admit i haven't watched a ton of international soccer, but, sac, i'm wondering if you think fifa's mandate that referees call these games so tightly actually encourages players to flop. i guess the alternative -- looser-called games -- could lead to more injuries, but i'm wondering if fifa's mandate was made because of injuries, and whether anyone has ever looked to see if fewer players have ended up hurt because of tighter officiating.

the feeling i got was that international media felt the game was called fairly. link

Good info here. The players are responsible for their behavior - if Zidane was stupid enough to raise his knee into the back of the Korean, more fool him.

Side note - anybody listen to / watch this game in HD with surround sound? The atmosphere defied belief. There is no sporting event anywhere in the world that comes within a good few country miles of this one.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

The more I see of it, the less I like. It seems more about corruption, bad sportsmanship, diving, politics, hooliganism, racism, and completely biased officiating. This WC has opened my eyes to what soccer really is on the global level. And I dont like alot of what I see....

This is because you have no clue what you're looking at.

Good info here. The players are responsible for their behavior - if Zidane was stupid enough to raise his knee into the back of the Korean, more fool him.

Side note - anybody listen to / watch this game in HD with surround sound? The atmosphere defied belief. There is no sporting event anywhere in the world that comes within a good few country miles of this one.

we watched it at a korean restaurant in korea town. two-story restaurant in manhattan with one 42-inch plasma tv, and the place was packed. when korea got the tying goal, the place went nuts. across the street is a small plaza, where i'd say probably five hundred korea fans stood in 95-degree heat to watch the game on a fairly crappy big screen on the side of a building. i love watching these games in home-crowd bars/restaurants. dae han min guk!