[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HD geeks....UNITE!

Avernus

here's the 1st completely unbiased review of the samsung BD player that was just released...

they compare it to regular DVD and Toshiba's HD-DVD player....

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_BD_P1000/4...-2.html?tag=nav

but on a personal note...if anyone were to even buy a BD player (I doubt it)....wait for the Panasonic one or Pioneer.....

Samsung makes horrible DVD players......well, their 1st 3 generations are horrible...the 4th one's come out glitch free...even though this review seemed alright...

Edited by Avernus

Very interesting. I'm starting to get really pissed. Not about the DVD technology, but about my Mitsubishi Tv not having an HDMI input. I was hoping to get 10 years out of this set, I'm just limping along at 4. Damn.

Very interesting. I'm starting to get really pissed. Not about the DVD technology, but about my Mitsubishi Tv not having an HDMI input. I was hoping to get 10 years out of this set, I'm just limping along at 4. Damn.

Is it a 480p or 720p?

If its 720p or higher you can squeeze another 4 out of it. If not it will be tough (depending on your preference of course).

What kind do you have? I just plunked down for the Mitsu 62" DLP last year. It has one HDMI and I'm wishing I had 2 or 3 now. I guess there's probably a switch you can buy but I havent looked into it.

Also, while I'm not bleeding edge with new technology, I am somewhat of a media junky with new HD toys and the such, but I am staying far, FAR away from the next-gen DVD mess. the whole thing reeks of VHS/Beta right now and I'm not going to dump money into a format that will be down the candied yamster in three years.

The upconverting DVD players are getting really affordable now and that will be my plan until they sort out the HDDVD/BluRay mess.

Is it a 480p or 720p?

If its 720p or higher you can squeeze another 4 out of it. If not it will be tough (depending on your preference of course).

I have 1 1080i input and of course several useless firewire inputs. I'm really just grumbling to grumble. I'll wait until the dust settles on this HD DVD issue before I make any upgrades to the TV.

I notice that the comparison between the regular 480i DVD and the blu ray disc were made on the blue ray player. He said it was "no contest."

Wouldn't a 480i DVD played on a progressive-scan 480p player look better than on an upconverted 1080p player? I don't know; I'm just asking. Seems to me the more data the player has to fill in, the more compromised the picture quality.

I did find this interesting, and in line with everything else I've heard ...

1080i vs. 1080p was a wash. Much ado has been made of the fact that Blu-ray players can output 1080p resolution while first-generation HD-DVD players, namely the Toshiba HD-A1 and its ilk, can output "only" 1080i. I've said before that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p sources on a 1080p HDTV, and after the following test, I feel even more confident that 1080p output capability is overrated.

Using the same two players hooked up in the manner described above, I put a Memento Blu-ray disc in each and set one to 1080i mode and the other to 1080p. I chose one of the few scenes with a lot of motion--Leonard's final drive back from the vacant lot to the tattoo parlor--where interlaced artifacts from 1080i, such as jagged or moving lines, should be more visible. Bouncing back and forth between the 1080i and 1080p versions, I could see no differences whatsoever. From the white lines dividing the street to the buildings and the parked cars alongside the road flashing by, to close-ups of Leonard and his wife (Jorja Fox), the two looked identical. I can imagine material that might show more of a difference, such as sporting events with lots of camera movement, but it wasn't there in the scene I watched.

:D

Wouldn't a 480i DVD played on a progressive-scan 480p player look better than on an upconverted 1080p player? I don't know; I'm just asking. Seems to me the more data the player has to fill in, the more compromised the picture quality.

Well, you may have a misconception here ... the upconverting DVD players are not going to 1080p, they're going to 720p or 1080i. And the upconverting DVD players run some algorithm that "cheats" the extra data it has to fill in. I've never read a great explination as to how it works, but it does. It's not 1080p, but it is noticiably better than 480p is. And you can get them now for $200-$250.

Bouncing back and forth between the 1080i and 1080p versions, I could see no differences whatsoever. From the white lines dividing the street to the buildings and the parked cars alongside the road flashing by, to close-ups of Leonard and his wife (Jorja Fox), the two looked identical. I can imagine material that might show more of a difference, such as sporting events with lots of camera movement, but it wasn't there in the scene I watched.

The bolded part is the key. I think NFL looks better in 720p than it does in 1080i. I'd guess action/explod-o-matic 3000 movies would owrk a lot better with 1080p than Memento would.

What kind do you have? I just plunked down for the Mitsu 62" DLP last year. It has one HDMI and I'm wishing I had 2 or 3 now. I guess there's probably a switch you can buy but I havent looked into it.

Gefen.com has the best HDMI splitters. They are expensive however.

Also, while I'm not bleeding edge with new technology, I am somewhat of a media junky with new HD toys and the such, but I am staying far, FAR away from the next-gen DVD mess. the whole thing reeks of VHS/Beta right now and I'm not going to dump money into a format that will be down the candied yamster in three years.

The upconverting DVD players are getting really affordable now and that will be my plan until they sort out the HDDVD/BluRay mess.

exactly...I have two, one for each of my HDTV's right now....I am fine with this for another 2 or even 3 years before I attempt to purchase a new HD TV with multiple HDMI slots...

I am on the verge of purchasing a HDMI switcher for my Cable Box and DVD player...but I would need 2 for each HD TV as both only have 1 HDMI port....

they are quite crafty with milking the HDMI slots...1......2......and then maybe 3...

I notice that the comparison between the regular 480i DVD and the blu ray disc were made on the blue ray player. He said it was "no contest."

I did find this interesting, and in line with everything else I've heard ...

1080i vs. 1080p was a wash. Much ado has been made of the fact that Blu-ray players can output 1080p resolution while first-generation HD-DVD players, namely the Toshiba HD-A1 and its ilk, can output "only" 1080i. I've said before that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p sources on a 1080p HDTV, and after the following test, I feel even more confident that 1080p output capability is overrated.

Using the same two players hooked up in the manner described above, I put a Memento Blu-ray disc in each and set one to 1080i mode and the other to 1080p. I chose one of the few scenes with a lot of motion--Leonard's final drive back from the vacant lot to the tattoo parlor--where interlaced artifacts from 1080i, such as jagged or moving lines, should be more visible. Bouncing back and forth between the 1080i and 1080p versions, I could see no differences whatsoever. From the white lines dividing the street to the buildings and the parked cars alongside the road flashing by, to close-ups of Leonard and his wife (Jorja Fox), the two looked identical. I can imagine material that might show more of a difference, such as sporting events with lots of camera movement, but it wasn't there in the scene I watched.

I forget, did he mention the size of his TV?....1080p is pointless if it's any smaller than say 50"....

exactly...I have two, one for each of my HDTV's right now....I am fine with this for another 2 or even 3 years before I attempt to purchase a new HD TV with multiple HDMI slots...

I am on the verge of purchasing a HDMI switcher for my Cable Box and DVD player...but I would need 2 for each HD TV as both only have 1 HDMI port....

they are quite crafty with milking the HDMI slots...1......2......and then maybe 3...

which upconverting dvd players do you have? i was looking at this one:

Sony DVP-NS75H

which upconverting dvd players do you have? i was looking at this one:

Sony DVP-NS75H

I wouldn't recommend a Sony DVD player...they excel in most other departments...but DVD players is not one of them

of course, I should practice what I preach...samsung is no prize either....I have their 1st and 2nd generation up-conversion DVD players ...the 1st offered DVI and 2nd offered HDMI....

it all depends on what your price range is...Toshiba makes a good up-conversion DVD player...and there's another brand someone posted here awhile back for upconverting...I never heard of it before...but it is actually the best in this field....

also...the latest Samsung HDMI upconversion player isn't too shabby....even for a Samsung....even they can get it right on the 3rd try...it's about 100 bucks I believe...

FYI for those investing in HDMI now, wait 6 months. The 1.3 standard is very flawed and is being re-written now to 2.0.

A friend of mine just went to a seminar for A/V companies and the man speaking is in charge of writting the new HDMI standard and he encouraged the companies selling high end Theatre units to NOT encourage it.

Sux for me, just bought a new Yamaha 2600 receiver and all new Monster 1000 THX HDMI cable for the projector , HDDVR and HD Sat. :D

I can't wait for these to be available for a PC. I want to build a Home Theatre PC (HTPC).

I'm in the process of mine. After many hours of research i'm seeing that using a D-Link or HP media extender is not the way to go, so i went with XBOX 360's instead, a little more money, but with Windows 2005 it makes since to go XBMC.

Make sure you hard wire to stream your video. Wireless it may hang when moving over 8mbps , which video files are.

I've read that streaming HD content with the XBOX does very well.

Best online store for all your HTPC needs http://www.pcalchemy.com/index.php

Great support forum for your builds and questions http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php

I'm in the process of mine. After many hours of research i'm seeing that using a D-Link or HP media extender is not the way to go, so i went with XBOX 360's instead, a little more money, but with Windows 2005 it makes since to go XBMC.

Make sure you hard wire to stream your video. Wireless it may hang when moving over 8mbps , which video files are.

Great support forum for your builds and questions http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php

I still don't know why the 360 didn't come with an HDMI option.....

maybe when they start selling the blueray player extender kits, it'll have one...??

I'd be shocked if PS3 didn't have one, any one have the specs?

the $600 version of the PS3 will have an hdmi port.

the xbox 360 is supposed to have an hdmi cable coming, probably when the HD-DVD drive add-on drive is released this fall.

I recommend monoprice.com

Avernus this is the first time im hearing about this company. Do you have one? Are they good?

I am vert interested in purchasing the 5x1 since its a fraction of the price of gefen.

Thanks for posting man :D

Was in the market

I am using my xbox 360 as an extender now. I am not 2 happy with it since it only plays mpeg2 from sources. I have been using transcode 360 and highly recommend it as it allows playback of other material but of course everytime you encode something the quality lessens (wont be visible to the normal eye just fanatics).

Bottom line the 360 is decent but nothing beats a HTPC. In about 3 months I should save enough to purchase what I want.

Let me know how your projec goes Ohio. I also recommend avsforum.com in the computer home theatre section for guides and advice on HTPC.