[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Baseball Player

The Holy Roller

His headcase aspect drives me nuts, but it comes with the territory.

I'm glad he's started pulling himself, it shows maturity and aFAIC, the Cubs have ruined 2 'once in a generation' arms. :D

I would love him on the sox.

Z is a guy you love on your team and you hate to play against, and not just cause he is good, but he gets under your skin, with his finger pointing up every K.

AJ catching bug Z..............wow

if he could control his temper he could be twice as good as crazy as that sounds. many times i see him cursing threw a game, and then he walks a guys, give a hit up and he looses it. the Latin in him takes over and he will challenge the hitter with a 100 MPH fastball down the middle.

also the cubs better not mess him up. I know he is a work horse, but so far this year accept for his last start he pitched 100+ pitches each game, and 126 back to back before his last start.

and the only reason he did not go deep last outing is cause he felt sourness in his arm, and he told dusty thats it im done.

Mariners--Steve Balboni and Mike Schooler.

Seriously though, the Edgar/Griffey debate seems quite interesting to me. Edgar was here a lot longer, and had a lot more winning seasons here. I mean, I was 10 when Griffey came into the league, so you can imagine the severity of my lifelong man-crush, but I'm not so sure that Edgar Martinez didn't do enough in his career to be #1 through homer eyes.

Ahhh, screw it---Griffey and Randy (although Felix is comin' on quick!!)

Pittsburgh Pirates

Player: Roberto Clemente

Pitcher: Elroy Face

Went with Clemente as a player, though a case could be made for Honus Wagner. However, I went with a more present-day player. Clemente could do it all - average, power, rbi's, stolen bases, had a cannon for an arm. Along with Wagner, other honorable mentions go to Willie Stargell, Ralph Kiner, Barry Bonds (wasn't here long enough), Pie Traynor, Arky Vaughn, Paul & Lloyd Waner.

The Pirates have had a lot of great offensive players through the years, but, do not really have any present-day stand-out pitchers. I went with a reliever in Elroy Face. If I was going back to early days, the obvious answer would be Wilbur Cooper. Honorable mentions to Bob Friend, Bob Veale, Doug Drabek, Deacon Phillipe, & Kent Tekulve.

You forgot Dave Parker!

Tough call..Position player a toss up between Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken Jr. Pitcher id say without question Jim Palmer.

SF/NY giants:

tough call-

pitchers:

Christy Mathewson

Dominant right-hander played 17 seasons for New York Giants (1900-1916)...is franchise’s all-time leader in wins (373), complete games (433), shutouts (79), innings (4,771) and strikeouts (2,499)...won 20 or more games 13 times, including 4 seasons with 30-plus wins...was 1 of 5 members of initial induction class into Hall of Fame, along with Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner...named to Major League Baseball’s All-Century Team...

Juan Marichal

9-time All-Star won 238 games in San Francisco, most by any pitcher since franchise moved west in 1958...won 20 or more games 6 times in 14 years with Giants...is SF leader in complete games (244), shutouts (52), innings (3,443) and strikeouts (2,281)...was named right-hander on Giants 60’s and 70’s All-Decade Teams and San Francisco’s All-Time Team...

fielders:

Willie Mays

Lifetime .302 hitter with 660 career homers, 3rd most in Major League history behind Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth...12-time Gold Glove winner appeared in 24 All-Star Games...was named NL MVP in 1954 and ‘65 and NL Rookie of Year in ‘51...is Giants all-time leader in games (2,857), at-bats (10,477), runs (2,011), hits (3,187), doubles (504), home runs (646), total bases (5,907) and extrabase hits (1,289)...named starting outfielder on MLB’s All-Century Team...

Barry

7-time MVP is 3rd member of exclusive 700 Home Run Club, joining Hall of Famers Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth...with 708 career roundtrippers, will enter 2006 campaign just 6 homers shy of Ruth (714) and 47 behind all-time leader Aaron (755)...missed 1st 142 games of 2005 season while recovering from trio of right arthroscopic knee surgeries...picked up where he left off upon return, belting 5 HRs in just 42 at-bats, a ratio of 1 clout per 8.5 at-bats that betters his lifetime 12.91 mark...in fact, in 587 games since Opening Day 2001, has hit .347 (585-for-1,684) with 494 runs, 214 HRs, 448 RBI and 764 walks (287 intentional) while posting .556 on-base pct. and .805 slugging mark...tied his godfather, Willie Mays, for 3rd on all-time list at 660 career clouts with "Splash Hit" into McCovey Cove April 12, 2004 off Milwaukee's Matt Kinney...passed Mays next day, again reaching Cove with solo drive off Brewers' Ben Ford...reached hallowed 700 plateau Sept. 17, 2004, connecting for solo homer off San Diego's Jake Peavy...has homered off record 416 Major League pitchers, with Mark McGwire 2nd at 362...has won unprecedented 7 National League Most Valuable Player awards, with no other player winning more than 3...has taken home hardware in 1990, '92, '93, 2001, '02, '03 and '04...owns baseball's single-season records for home runs (73 in 2001), walks (232 in '04), intentional walks (120 in '04), on-base pct. (.609 in '04), slugging pct. (.863 in '01), HR ratio (6.52 in '01) and HR pct. (12.06 in '04)...established ML record with 13 consecutive seasons with at least 30 homers, reaching plateau every year from 1992-2004...has belted at least 30 clouts in 14 seasons overall, 1 shy of Aaron's ML standard of 15 different 30-homer campaigns...also has 8 different 40-homer seasons, tying Aaron's NL record...Ruth holds ML mark with 11 such years...by hammering 45 home runs and striking out only 41 times in 2004, became just 5th player ever (10th occurrence) to hit at least 40 roundtrippers and strike out less times than he homered...has hit 20-or-more HRs in season 17 times, 3 behind Aaron for ML mark...has posted National League-record 12 seasons with 100-or-more RBI...only players in history to have recorded as many years with at least 100 RBI are Jimmie Foxx (13 seasons), Lou Gehrig (13) and Al Simmons (12)...in 2004, became just 3rd player in baseball history to post at least 100 RBI (101) in season in which he had less than 400 at-bats (373)...only others were Rudy York (1937 Tigers) and Frank Thomas (1994 White Sox)...holds NL mark with 12 seasons of 100-or-more walks, 1 behind Ruth for ML standard...has established Major League record with 2,311 walks and 607 intentional free passes...has 68 multi-homer games to rank 2nd in category on all-time list, behind only Ruth (72)...has connected for 286 home runs since his 35th birthday (in 2000), most by any player after that age in ML history...Aaron hit 249...is one of just 7 players in Major League history to reach base 5,000 times, reaching safely 5,146 times via hit, walk and hit-by-pitch...joins Pete Rose (5,929 times), Ty Cobb (5,532), Rickey Henderson (5,343), Carl Yastrzemski (5,304), Stan Musial (5,282) and Aaron (5,205)...only 4th Giant to win NL batting crown, he is 1st player in franchise history to capture pair of titles (2002 and 2004)...with .362 mark in 2004, became oldest player ever to lead league in hitting at 40 years and 71 days old...by posting plus-.800 slugging pct. in both 2001 and 2004, joins Babe Ruth (1920 and '21) as only players ever to crest .800 slugging mark twice in by leading NL in both slugging and on-base pct. for 4-consecutive seasons between 2001-04, became 3rd Major Leaguer to accomplish feat...joined Rogers Hornsby (1920-25) and Ted Williams (1946-49)...13-time All-Star and 8-time Rawlings Gold Glove winner was named Player of Decade for 1990s by The Sporting News...has garnered 12 Silver Sluggers, while earning Players Choice Award for Player of Year in 2001 and 2004 and National League Player of Year 5 times (1992, '93, 2001, '02 and '04)...has laid claim to being greatest package of both power and speed in baseball history, as he is sole member of 500-homer/500-steal club...only 3 other players have even reached 300-300 barrier: Mays (660 HRs, 338 SBs), Andre Dawson (436 HRs, 314 SBs) and his late father Bobby Bonds (332 HRs, 461 SBs)...has established himself as most prolific home run hitter in club's San Francisco annals with 532 clouts in Giants uniform...is 2nd highest total in franchise history, behind only 646 hit by Mays with NY and SF...became only 2nd member of 40-40 club and only National Leaguer to accomplish feat after clubbing 42 home runs and stealing 40 bases in 1996...Oakland's Jose Canseco in 1988 and Seattle's Alex Rodriguez in 1998 are only other members of club...has reached 30-30 plateau 5 times in career (1990, '92, '95, '96 and '97), joining his late father Bobby (1969, '73, '75, '77 and '78) as only 5-time 30-30 men in ML history...in fact, Barry and Bobby (332 HRs) represent the ultimate show of power and speed in father-son pair, holding ML mark for HRs by father-son combo with 1,040...pair also holds same distinction for stolen bases with 967 thefts combined (Bobby 461, Barry 506)...with combined 2,877 RBI, Barry (1,853) and Bobby (1,024) are also tops for father-son runs driven in...has played for playoff contending teams in 12 of his 20 ML seasons...during regular season in Sept. and Oct. of those 12 years, has hit combined .320 (337-for-1,054) with 98 HRs and 239 RBI...has played 1,720 contests in Giants uniform, which is 3rd most on SF games list and 5th in franchise annals...he trails only Willie McCovey (2,256) and Willie Mays (2,095) in SF history...became just 4th Giant to start at least 12 season openers with club by making Opening Day start in left field April 5, 2004 at Houston, joining Willie Mays (19 openers), Mel Ott (18) and Willie McCovey (15)...is only 25th player in ML history to amass 2,000 hits and 400 home runs in career, and is 1 of just 7 players to accumulate 2,000 hits, 200 homers and 400 stolen bases (joining Roberto Alomar, Craig Biggio, Marquis Grissom, Rickey Henderson, Paul Molitor and Joe Morgan)...has homered in 35 big league parks, with Seattle's Kingdome and Puerto Rico's Hiram Bithorn Stadium being only facilities in which he has played during regular season and not homered...in fan balloting during 1999 season, was named left fielder on San Francisco Giants All-Time team...was also named left fielder on 1990's All-Decade team in balloting among local media...was originally drafted by SF in 2nd round of 1982 draft, but elected to attend Arizona State.

Seaver

Cleon Jones

Seaver is easy. Jones had several very good years, but as much as I don't like it, it has to be Piazza. Ask again in two years.... it will be David Wright. If not for cocaine, it might have been Gooden and Strawberry.

cincinnati reds

position player peter edward rose

pitching its a tough call, seaver was the best to ever wear a reds uniform but hes a met.

id have to lean towards don gullett he was pretty damn good until injuries cut his carreer short

I got to see Seaver pitch his no-hitter in '77. The dumb broad I was with commented in the 7th inning, "This is really boring. That one team (the Cards) don't even have a hit."

For a pitcher, what about the guy who pitched the no-hitters, wasn't it Joe Nuxhall?

SF/NY giants:

tough call-

pitchers:

Christy Mathewson

Juan Marichal

Willie Mays

Barry

Not to me...Christy Mathewson by a very long shot. Probably one of the top 5 most dominating pitchers in history. Check out his winning percentage. And he fought in WWI. :D

Willie and Barry is a tougher call. I'd probably give it to Willie because of the steroid cloud surrounding Bonds...which I think cannot be denied.

For a pitcher, what about the guy who pitched the no-hitters, wasn't it Joe Nuxhall?

johnny vander meer was the guy that threw back to back no hitters. only guy to do this in major league history, but he finished with like a career record of 119-121 with a very good era of 3.44

Edited by kevin4192

• 5 weeks later...

Minnesota Twins:

Batting: Kirby Puckett

Pitching: Bert Blyleven

Honorable mentions:

Harmon Killebrew

Jack Morris

IIRC, the Senators were relocated to Minnesota ... so, you'd have to have Walter Johnson as your best pitcher (if I'm right)...

George Brett

Bret Saberhagen

Though you could make a case that Willie Wilson was the best overall Royal ever.

Explain to me how Willie Wilson was the best Royal ever?

Bret Saberhagan, Dan Quisenberry and Steve Busby (two no-hitters before blowing out his arm in the early/mid 1970s) would be the top three pitchers, and good arguements could be made for each one.

Explain to me how Willie Wilson was the best Royal ever?

Bret Saberhagan, Dan Quisenberry and Steve Busby (two no-hitters before blowing out his arm in the early/mid 1970s) would be the top three pitchers, and good arguements could be made for each one.

Notice I said best OVERALL Royal ever.

Speed

Defense

Hitting

He had the ability to change the whole face of the game. George Brett was the best hitter they ever had, and Saberhagen the best pitcher ever, but Wilson had it all.

By far the best OVERALL Royal ever.

Without going to MLB.com to prove my point, I would be FLOORED if Wilson had more 2Bs or 3Bs per plate appearance than Brett. IIRC, Brett has the team record for 3Bs in a season with 20 (Wilson had 19 one year, I think). Until he got older and had suffered through lots of injuries, Brett had some pretty good speed. Also, iirc, he has more than 250 (maybe 300) career SBs. I'm pretty sure that SBs / plate appearance is the only offensive stat where Wilson would lead Brett. Wilson did strike out quite a bit, too.

Regarding defense, IIRC, they both had the same number of gold gloves ... two. Frank White, on the other hand, dominated in the field.

...I'm feeling something metallic in my mouth...

:barf: