[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

England vs. Sweden

alexgaddis

Announcers are blaming the goal on Beckham not playing defense...

I have no idea what the announcers are saying. I can only watch from a Chinese TV station that streams online. All I know is that "LAR" mean "shot" or something like it. :D

Awesome goal though!

I have no idea what the announcers are saying. I can only watch from a Chinese TV station that streams online. All I know is that "LAR" mean "shot" or something like it. :D

Awesome goal though!

I just downloaded SopCast, per what ya said in the Spain/Tunisia thread. Not bad. Do you know if there is any delay? I'm assuming there has to be. Either way... :D this is pretty awesome.

the announcers were just talking about some match years ago between west germany and austria, where the teams colluded to keep algeria from advancing. the guy didn't finish the story, so i looked it up. pretty interesting.

1982 world cup

Group B saw one of the great World Cup upsets on the first day with the 2-1 victory of Algeria over reigning European Champion West Germany. This memorable game resulted in the controversial match between West Germany and Austria on the third and final day. As Algeria had already played its third match the day before, West Germany and Austria knew that a West Germany win by 1 or 2 goals would qualify them both, while a larger German victory would qualify Algeria over Austria, and an Austrian win would eliminate the Germans. (The fourth team in the group, Chile, was eliminated regardless of the outcome.) After West Germany scored after 11 minutes of furious attack, the two German-speaking teams went into an unspoken agreement and just kicked the ball around aimlessly for the rest of the game to the chants of "Fuera, fuera" ("Out, out") from the disgusted Spanish crowd, while angry Algerian supporters waved banknotes at the players. This sham performance was widely deplored, even by the German and Austrian fans who had hoped for a hot rematch of the 1978 World Cup match in Cordoba, Argentina in which Austria had beaten West Germany, and led to the introduction of a revised system at the 1986 World Cup and future World Cups, in which the final two games in each group were played simultaneously.