[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i want to kill citibank

montster

so my wife went on a business trip a few weeks ago. she has a corporate Amex card in her maiden name, which she used to pay for the trip. last week she got the expense check and, like usual, deposited it. checked online a few days later, saw it had cleared, and paid her Amex bill.

i check our account today and see we're overdrawn, by a TON. Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian. i call the bank. turns out they posted the money to our account, then took it out after seeing that the name on the checks (my wife's maiden name) didn't match the name on our account (my wife's married name). this has NEVER been a problem before, in the six years my wife has had this account (married the whole time). the rep tells me they mailed the checks back to us. these were huge checks, too, probably the largest my wife has ever been reimbursed. so i ask why no one called us when they noticed there was a problem, and the rep was like, "hm, someone should have." they have my wife's cell phone on file, but no one called.

to make it worse, our landlord waited to cash our rent check, and now that's gonna bounce. i called him, and he was understanding, but he said he pays his property taxes with the money from our rent, and now his check may bounce, too, unless we can get him the money today. so i have to go get a cash advance from our credit card to pay that. my wife is talking to her work to see if they can cancel the expense checks and reissue new ones, but there's no way they can get that done today, i don't think.

all in all, a colossal clusterf*ck that could've easily been resolved if the bank actually practiced some customer service. needless to say, once this is taken care of (and citibank has canceled all the fees it's charging us), we're canceling our account.

so my wife went on a business trip a few weeks ago. she has a corporate Amex card in her maiden name, which she used to pay for the trip. last week she got the expense check and, like usual, deposited it. checked online a few days later, saw it had cleared, and paid her Amex bill.

i check our account today and see we're overdrawn, by a TON. Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian. i call the bank. turns out they posted the money to our account, then took it out after seeing that the name on the checks (my wife's maiden name) didn't match the name on our account (my wife's married name). this has NEVER been a problem before, in the six years my wife has had this account (married the whole time). the rep tells me they mailed the checks back to us. these were huge checks, too, probably the largest my wife has ever been reimbursed. so i ask why no one called us when they noticed there was a problem, and the rep was like, "hm, someone should have." they have my wife's cell phone on file, but no one called.

to make it worse, our landlord waited to cash our rent check, and now that's gonna bounce. i called him, and he was understanding, but he said he pays his property taxes with the money from our rent, and now his check may bounce, too, unless we can get him the money today. so i have to go get a cash advance from our credit card to pay that. my wife is talking to her work to see if they can cancel the expense checks and reissue new ones, but there's no way they can get that done today, i don't think.

all in all, a colossal clusterf*ck that could've easily been resolved if the bank actually practiced some customer service. needless to say, once this is taken care of (and citibank has canceled all the fees it's charging us), we're canceling our account.

Before canceling I will give you my 2 cents.

This was citibanks fault 100% but citibank is one of the better banks out there. I have worked for 3 banks (not citibank) and I can tell you customer service is lacking. I moved my account to citibank and they seem to be the best.

I would take this as a warning shot and if they mess up again move.

I worked for banks in the NY area and they all stink (fees and such).

Also, this mistake could have happened at any bank. Tellers are morons, they hire high school kids or anyone for minimum wage. The banking industry has changed alot over the years. CitiBank is one of the few banks that actually looks for experienced personel and pay above average.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MrTed46

this has NEVER been a problem before, in the six years my wife has had this account (married the whole time).

6 years and your wife has not got around to changing the name on the card? you should consider yourself lucky you made it this far. change the card ... it just takes a phone call.

Take out Huntington while you're at it. They credited my acccount in 2 days last month for what was a significant bonus check. I got online the third morning and moved the funds all over the place electronically. The same day my wife tried to spend $25 locally and it was declined. I checked online and since they weren't able to actually implement a normal hold on the check to see if the funds cleared, they imposed a debit of the amount of the deposit. A bank imposed debit? I was furious. I got the run around for 5 more days while they straightened it out. Guess the fraud unit caught it after the "normal" processes had taken place.

The worst part was that they didn't call me, either. If I hadn't called and asked what was going on, the electronic transfers I placed would have happened at 4pm and my checking and savings with them would have been devastated because of their self-imposed debit. I em-effed my way up to every supervisor they could find and still got no action.

I'm changing banks. Not an easy task once you're setup electronically with direct deposit, etc, but I am still fuming at it and don't feel as though there is anyway to voice it.

Also,

If your wifes maiden name isnt on the account its hard to blaim them for doing what they did. Just because you have been doing it in the past doesn't justify it being ok this time. Their rules state if the name doesn't match they will bounce the check.

However, VERY rare they bounce a deposit. I havn't heard of any reason why they would. I guess the banks are stiffening up to protect themselves from losing cash. Many scam artists out there.

6 years and your wife has not got around to changing the name on the card? you should consider yourself lucky you made it this far. change the card ... it just takes a phone call.

no, the name on the card/bank account is her married name. i didn't realize her work checks were being made out to her maiden name, which was the discrepancy. she's having that changed. i know we aren't entirely blameless, but, like i said, this has never been a problem before. and i'm sure my wife isn't the only married working woman to go by her maiden name at work and her married name elsewhere, so it's not as if banks have never seen this before.

Also,

If your wifes maiden name isnt on the account its hard to blaim them for doing what they did. Just because you have been doing it in the past doesn't justify it being ok this time. Their rules state if the name doesn't match they will bounce the check.

However, VERY rare they bounce a deposit. I havn't heard of any reason why they would. I guess the banks are stiffening up to protect themselves from losing cash. Many scam artists out there.

thanks for both your posts. we realize we're also to blame, but, like i said, the biggest frustration was that it happened now, with these checks (which i'm sure triggered extra scrutiny because of their amounts). whether we cancel our account depends on how willing citibank is to resolve the issues of the fees we're accruing because of the mistake.

thanks for both your posts. we realize we're also to blame, but, like i said, the biggest frustration was that it happened now, with these checks (which i'm sure triggered extra scrutiny because of their amounts). whether we cancel our account depends on how willing citibank is to resolve the issues of the fees we're accruing because of the mistake.

I agree with you. They should refund fees. Just talk to a customer rep and tell them you will cancel if they dont.

I wish you the best...give them hell!

I've been with banks that try to screw you.

I've been with Chase for over a year now, and they treat me great. No problems, very accomodating, no ridiculous problems like with other banks.

Stay the HELL away from Compass bank. I've never seen so many policies designed strictly to generate overdrafts.

- They process debits before credits on any given day.

- They preocess debits in reverse order of amount so that if the biggest check bounces, all the other little piddling transactions do too.

- On Memorial Day, they do not process credits... but they DO process debits.

- For some reason, direct deposits from our company take an extra day only at Compass compared to all other banks. Invariably, this covers a weekend where you have no money.

I have dumped all national banks in favor of local credit unions. They have been much more friendly and accomodating. My wife works for a bank, :D

The only "big company" card I carry is a corporate AmEx for business expenses.

I have dumped all national banks in favor of local credit unions.

I use a credit union too--although it's not always smooth sailing.

When my wife and I got married we got a number of checks made out to the both of us. I took them to the credit union to deposit them into my account, but they wouldn't let me deposit them even though both of us had endorsed them because my wife's name was not yet on my account. Then when we tried to add my wife, we couldn't do so because she didn't yet have a social security number (since she had just moved to the US and her SS# application was being processed).

So here we were with the ridiculous situation of not being about to cash our wedding presents.

I finally had to had have the manager of the local branch call somebody at the main office before they would "make an exception" and let us deposit the checks.