[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got AT&T? Cancel it.

AtomicCEO

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060622/tc_nm/telecoms_att_dc_4

Your personal info, what you watch on TV, what pages you look at on the internet... all of that data is no longer private. They own it, and they can sell it, give it to the government, or anything they want without your consent. There is no way to opt out of this.

That's their new privacy policy.

Go AT&T. :D

Edited by AtomicCEO

Wow, what to do... what to do. I have bundled phone/internet and am pleased. I have had my email address for the longest time and don't really want to go thru the hassles of changing. Will definitely change when I move, whenever the heck that happens. :D

I don't care if the government sees it, I have nothing to hide. I would care if they were selling my info to some private company.

so you trust the government to do the right thing more than you trust private companies

interesting

so noted

so you trust the government to do the right thing more than you trust private companies

interesting

so noted

I would think the goverment wwould get tired of watching me run my fantasy team. A private company may however use information for more devious things. Like getting money I owe them...

interesting

so noted

I would think the goverment wwould get tired of watching me run my fantasy team. A private company may however use information for more devious things. Like getting money I owe them...

This is what I was thinking. Unless the government slips a mole or two into my fantasy leagues I don't have much to hide. :D

I got nothing to hide, and frankly they are saving me over a $100 a month for the combo package I have for internet, phone and satellite t.v.

This is what I was thinking. Unless the government slips a mole or two into my fantasy leagues I don't have much to hide. :D

I remember when young Republicans actually used to vigourosly defend individual liberties. The times they are a changing.

I remember when young Republicans actually used to vigourosly defend individual liberties. The times they are a changing.

I can only assume you are right. :D

We are at war with terrorists and in order to win the government is going to need information like this. If the government started to misuse the information they get from AT&T against regular people then it is something I will worry about.

We are at war with terrorists and in order to win the government is going to need information like this. If the government started to misuse the information they get from AT&T against regular people then it is something I will worry about.

buy then its to late :D

This is the very thing our forefathers warned about. The more power you give to the government, the less power the people have. When they start to misuse that information and we, the public, find out about it, it would be too late.

This is the very thing our forefathers warned about. The more power you give to the government, the less power the people have. When they start to misuse that information and we, the public, find out about it, it would be too late.

It's my understanding that democrats want to increase the power of the government in terms of social programs and taxes. Why not in terms of protection from terrorists? This isn't addressing what your post is stating though.

What power is being taken away from the people other than a little privacy? Our forefathers warned about the power of the government, not our privacy. Privacy has been granted to us through the courts, not the constitution. I do respect the right to privacy but at the same time I respect our need of protection from terrorism in this day and age.

How much power does this give the government? When they do come across data they want to dig into more they are required to get search warrants through the courts. I find it hard to believe that a judge will grant a warrant without justifiable reasons.

One question I have is how would it be too late once they misuse information? If the government does end up abusing the power there are groups out there that will raise the alarms and bring public attention to it. If the public finds the actions by the government to be out of bounds then they will demand change. The problem will then be corrected?

I hope I don't sound totally oblivious, and please correct me if my thoughts are misguided.

It's my understanding that democrats want to increase the power of the government in terms of social programs and taxes. Why not in terms of protection from terrorists?

Part of the problem is how densely unambiguous your preface is on these issues. The fact that you base your argument on the opinion that we need to erode individual liberties of American Citizens or there is no other form of protection from the terrorists is itself silly and facetious. Oh, and let’s not pretend that both parties aren’t interested in bloating the pig even further or have been weak on terror. Yer boy’s have expanded social programs more than any administration since FDR and the taxes will have to be paid sometime or another. Plus it’s an unarguable fact that when Clinton was trying to bomb Osama the Republican congress pressured him to stop in an attemp to keep America’s attention a political BJ scandal rather than protecting us from the terrorists.

Privacy has been granted to us through the courts, not the constitution.

Well, the right to get married isn’t granted in the constitution, the right to have children isn’t granted in the constitution. The Constitution was created to spell out the limited rights or powers given to the federal government. And it was clearly understood that the government had no powers that weren't authorized in the Constitution.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

How much power does this give the government? When they do come across data they want to dig into more they are required to get search warrants through the courts. I find it hard to believe that a judge will grant a warrant without justifiable reasons.

Maybe I’m totally missing the boat here, but isn’t the exact thing we are circumventing under the current federal Republican leadership? Your opinion is definitely extremely anti-Libertarian and used to be anti-Republican. Doesn’t seem like the lefties like this too much either. Seems like this is the exact type of thing that has old school Republicans jumping ship.

In summary, “I don’t have anything to hide” and/or “We need protection from the terrorists” seem pretty chickencandied yams and anti-American to me. The "how can this be a problem if we let the government do this" attitude is dangerous and ignorant of our history as a nation. To not uderstand why is to dismiss how and why we became a great nation.

If the government does end up abusing the power there are groups out there that will raise the alarms and bring public attention to it. If the public finds the actions by the government to be out of bounds then they will demand change. The problem will then be corrected?

In the current US domestic policy, those groups cannot exist. The only group-think that exists in this country now is apathy because people do not see the direct result of the errosion of their freedoms.

Yet.

Rather than "if", the word should be "when."

H8'ers got a point...

If anyone thinks that this is new somehow, you're prolly more than a little misguided.

That said, it's very disconcerting that it's so well entrenched that a company would actually come out and tell the world!

H8'ers got a point...

If anyone thinks that this is new somehow, you're prolly more than a little misguided.

That said, it's very disconcerting that it's so well entrenched that a company would actually come out and tell the world!

They figure what the hell. Why lie.