[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is characterizing Sadam as a Muslim the same as

rbmcdonald

They both used religious intolerance for political gain, and there is very little indication that either one spent much time personally following the teachings of their religion.

How did Saddam use religious intolerance for political gain? The Ba'athists were only nominal Muslims - they were much more akin to a military dictatorship. Hitler obviously could be said to have used religious intolerance as a tool, but his victimization of the Jews wasn't based on their religion per se, but the loony conspiracy theories that:

a. The Jews were plotting to take over the world

b. The Jews had lost Germany the first world war

Also, Hitler's racist theories (shared by many others in Germany and Europe) held that the Jews were a subhuman race in comparison with the Nordic Aryans.

Ergo, it was racism and revenge against some nebulous conspiracy rather than "religionism" that was Hitler's driving force.

They both used religious intolerance for political gain, and there is very little indication that either one spent much time personally following the teachings of their religion.

Hitler, Stalin, Lincoln, Hussein, there is no difference.

How did Saddam use religious intolerance for political gain? The Ba'athists were only nominal Muslims - they were much more akin to a military dictatorship. Hitler obviously could be said to have used religious intolerance as a tool, but his victimization of the Jews wasn't based on their religion per se, but the loony conspiracy theories that:

a. The Jews were plotting to take over the world

b. The Jews had lost Germany the first world war

Also, Hitler's racist theories (shared by many others in Germany and Europe) held that the Jews were a subhuman race in comparison with the Nordic Aryans.

Ergo, it was racism and revenge against some nebulous conspiracy rather than "religionism" that was Hitler's driving force.

candied yamses v Sunnies, and Muslems v non Muslems. <---- I am pretty sure that I did not type candied yamses.

Edited by rbmcdonald

candied yamses v Sunnies, and Muslems v non Muslems. <---- I am pretty sure that I did not type candied yamses.

Dominance of one sect over another within the same religion is hardly a parallel with the deliberate genocide of an entire race. As for the Muslims vs non-Muslims, I don't think so. I don't know of any systematic pogroms against Christians or Jews in Iraq but maybe someone else does. :D

Characterizing anyone as religious is folly if the individual does not adhere to the teachings of the religion. Sadam and Adolf kind of disqualified themselves as religious followers of any kind, IMO.

People around here and in general get pretty ripped about religion as though it is responsible for people's misgivings and abuses. I have studied many different religions and believe that they all teach some pretty solid principles - it is when "followers" disembark from religious teaching and follow their own hearts that others are wronged. Sadly, many people can not disassociate the misdeeds of people claiming to follow a religion from the religion itself. :D