[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Credit Report

spain

It is a good idea to check your credit every year to ensure that you arent the victim of identity theft. I went to www.annualcreditreport.com to get a free copy of my credit report. They direct you to the 3 reporting bureas. I filled in my info and clicked on the 1st bureau and got my report. Its free and it gives you your total report. For an extra $5, they will give you your credit score. I got mine. The range is between 510 and 990. And they tell you your category. I was "super prime" with a score of 963. I recommend that everyone do this for your own piece of mind.

I thought credit scores only went up to 830?

They used to use something called a "beacon score" and I think that went up to ~850. But I dont know what they use now, or even if they all use the same one.

I found something cool yesterday, too. Experian, through their website, now offers an online method to dispute items on your report.

Before, you had to have a copy of your report (from each agency, if I'm not mistaken) and you had send it, along with an actual letter, to each of the three agencies in order to start the investigation process.

Now you can just fill out an online form and click a few buttons and Experian starts calling companies about taking their items off your report. :D

It is a good idea to check your credit every year to ensure that you arent the victim of identity theft. I went to www.annualcreditreport.com to get a free copy of my credit report. They direct you to the 3 reporting bureas. I filled in my info and clicked on the 1st bureau and got my report. Its free and it gives you your total report. For an extra $5, they will give you your credit score. I got mine. The range is between 510 and 990. And they tell you your category. I was "super prime" with a score of 963. I recommend that everyone do this for your own piece of mind.

Good stuff here. www.annualcreditreport.com is the only place to get the "real" free credit reports.

It is easy to get distracted by other offers of "free credit reports”, which are tied to credit monitoring services that have to be paid for. Big clue for this is that if they ask you for credit card #, you are in the wrong place. If you ever get confused, you can always go to www.ftc.gov for the link to the real site.

Another thing to consider is setting up a schedule of getting a free credit report from one of the three agencies every 4 months. This would allow you to discover an incident of identity theft as soon as possible

Another thing to keep in mind is that the free credit report doesn't give you a free credit score....at least it didn't recently....

I've never heard of a beacon score.....A new scoring system called the Vantage Score was rolled out last spring that is might replace FICO as it is supposed to have less variability amongst the the three major financial database companies. As far as I can tell most lenders still go by your FICO.

And keep in mind just because your score is good from one of the three biggies doesn't mean it isn't all messed up from the other two, which could ultimately still screw you. As far as I can tell, if you really want to monitor all three of your FICO scores and credit reports go to www.myfico.com and you can pay about $50 for all 3 reports and scores.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the free credit report doesn't give you a free credit score....at least it didn't recently....

I've never heard of a beacon score.....A new scoring system called the Vantage Score was rolled out last spring that is might replace FICO as it is supposed to have less variability amongst the the three major financial database companies. As far as I can tell most lenders still go by your FICO.

And keep in mind just because your score is good from one of the three biggies doesn't mean it isn't all messed up from the other two, which could ultimately still screw you. As far as I can tell, if you really want to monitor all three of your FICO scores and credit reports go to www.myfico.com and you can pay about $50 for all 3 reports and scores.

Yes, the score I just got was my Vantage score. I have never heard that term before. I have heard of Fico and have used the myfico website in the past. I do know that the site gave me all inquiries that have been made and all accounts that I currently have open. There was nothing suspicious on my account which was my primary reason for getting the report. I requested my score just out of curiousity...