[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about Corey Dillon

NAUgrad

I've completely written him off after his injuries last year. After taking a look at the sleeper RB thread, it got me thinking that perhaps he has one more decent year left in him. I can't recall what his injury/ies were last year so I'm not sure if he's completely done or not. Thoughts on him for this year?

I've completely written him off after his injuries last year. After taking a look at the sleeper RB thread, it got me thinking that perhaps he has one more decent year left in him. I can't recall what his injury/ies were last year so I'm not sure if he's completely done or not. Thoughts on him for this year?

it's possible...but after seeing what Patrick Pass did in spot duty...I hope Dillon falls off the face of the earth...

...at least in regards to fantasy value....

either Maroney or Pass are worthy options as a bye week filler in PPR leagues....

it's possible...but after seeing what Patrick Pass did in spot duty...I hope Dillon falls off the face of the earth...

...at least in regards to fantasy value....

either Maroney or Pass are worthy options as a bye week filler in PPR leagues....

I am down on Pass after he made a handoff to the other team in a game last year because his hamstring hurt. He had potential, but that out a big questionmark on his toughness as a primary ballcarrier, and I think the biggest evidence of that is tha drafting of Maroney.

As someone that has watched this team closely for a long time, my money od on Dillon being the primary this season and having a big year ala Curtis Martin 2004. I think that will be his swan song, and expect good things from Maroney next year. This is Corey's year.

From KFFL

Patriots | Dillon feeling disrespected; ready to rebound

Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:41:04 -0700

The Associated Press reports New England Patriots RB Corey Dillon said he is "looking to do big things" for the New England Patriots in 2006, after a subpar year in 2005. Dillon says too many people have been too quick to anoint rookie first-round draft pick RB Laurence Maroney as the savior of the Patriots' running game, which declined last season as Dillon battled ankle and calf injuries. "I feel real disrespected," Dillon said as the Patriots wrapped up a three-day minicamp. "I feel like I have accomplished zero, not even a grain of salt in this league. And that's terrible for a guy of my status. I've been doing this for a long time." Asked later if he felt he would be fighting for his job in training camp, Dillon said, "Fighting for a job? Are you kidding me? You want to read this again?" Dillon did say he likes what he has seen so far from the five-foot-11 Maroney, who has big-play speed. Dillon acknowledged that he has reached the age when most NFL backs begin to decline. But after changing his offseason workout he feels he will be able to rebound from a disappointing year.

Actually I can see a big rebound from Dillon this year and it could very well carry into next year. I think Dillon has it wrong here, I don't think Pats fans look at Maroney as their savior. I think they look at him as their future. He won't get much this year unless Dillon gets injured again, but next year Maroney will begin taking over regardless of Dillon's status.

From KFFL

Actually I can see a big rebound from Dillon this year and it could very well carry into next year. I think Dillon has it wrong here, I don't think Pats fans look at Maroney as their savior. I think they look at him as their future. He won't get much this year unless Dillon gets injured again, but next year Maroney will begin taking over regardless of Dillon's status.

As a Pats fan, I don't look at Maroney as a savior. I look at him as what Faulk and Pass have shown that they are not...a real back-up and insurance policy for Dillon for this year, and the back of the future. Pass and Faulk are good COP backs, but can't do it consistantly.

I like how Dillon sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder. He might be worth nominating early in my auction draft in hopes of getting cheap (or maybe hope he falls way down the list to get cheap?). I still don't trust him as my RB2 though.

I've never been a fan of Dillon's. His ego far outweighs his production (like so many other pro players). IMO he is the poster-boy for untapped potential. I won't touch him in any of my drafts unless he falls to me at a spot where I'm looking for a #3 RB.

Personally, I think he's a d!ck. But I have to admit he put up some decent numbers against 8 (at least) in the box and with no good passing threat for a number of years here om Cincy.

Dillon will be third round gold this year, and I plan on cashing it where I can.

Dillon had some multi-TD weeks last season, 5 to be exact. Which means he was boom or bust. A precipitous drop in rushing carries and yardage in '05. A risky pick to say the least.

Yeah, he is 1 of those backs that does not do anything if his team's running game gets shut down. he does not catch the ball well so he us useless when they are playing catchup.

That being said, I think if he stays healthy he is 1 of the suprises of the season.

Call me crazy but getting the starting RB for NE... you could do worse. I am a huge Maroney fan and would make a move also to secure him if you could get Dillon for the right price. It would be all about value, the more people hype Maroney the cheaper Dillon becomes. :D

Dillon is primed for a big year this year. I mean 1500 and 15 kind of year. Much like the Caveman said, Maroney is nothing more than insurance this year and he takes over this year. Dillon with a chip on shoulder is gold, pure gold. I'd take him as my #2 and laugh all the way to the playoffs.

Dillon will be third round gold this year, and I plan on cashing it where I can.

I got him at 4.2 in an ESPN mock. I was very happy. He's clearly no longer a RB1, but I think he'll surprise as a RB2 this year, long as you have an upside RB3 waiting in the wings in case he gets nicked up again. As SKing mentioned, the O-line is one of the best in the NFL (just behind Carolina, Minny, KC, SEA, IMO) now that they're healthy/more experienced, and that offense will always get into the red zone, so he'll at least get you 10+ TDs. I see somehwere in the neighborhood of 1250 and 13 TDs, and for a #2 RB (in some cases, since he's slipping, he'll be a #3 RB) that's the jackpot.

Edited by msaint

this guy is still putting out his blog on the patriots. some interesting tidbits on dillon:

Running back Corey Dillon pulled a biography of his career accomplishments out of his pocket after Thursday’s practice and had a reporter read them aloud. He spoke with passion when asked if he felt he was fighting for a job. “Fighting for a job?” Dillon said. “Do you want to read my bio again? I’ve been in this league for 10 years. It’s an honor being in the league for 10 years. There aren’t too many people who have been where I’m going. I’m proud about it.”

this could be read two ways. it might (1) fire him up to show everyone he still has it, or (2) signal that he is resting on his laurels. you decide.

"I'm healthy, I'm ready," he told a group of reporters. "To be honest with you, this is the best I've felt, at this time, in the last three years. So I feel good about where I'm at, but I'm still not close to where I want to be. Hopefully, by training camp I'm going to be ready to go."

Dillon said it was a nice gesture for Belichick to call him after the team drafted Laurence Maroney in the first round, "but he didn't have to. I think Bill is a very, very great coach, and I think out of respect that he wanted to give me the heads-up. That's what he did. Any great coach would give his player a call and let him know the situation. I wasn't in the draft room, I didn't know what was going on, so he gave me the heads-up and we took it from there."

Dillon has worked closely with Maroney over the last week.

"I have all this knowledge and experience in this league, so why not share it? I'd be a schmuck. And I don't want to be a schmuck."

hardly the kindly mentoring influence you would like to see, but at least he is not being a schmuck.

i think dillon is clearly the man but boy he was frustrating last season. i'm hoping for a bit of a rebound, and some new attitude which i think will happen. based on this, i'd take him as my #2 RB, getting him as a #3 is a pure steal.

After reading this I'm seriously going to reconsider my draft order. In my main keeper, #1 RB's are rare, and my lineup just lost LT and Portis, so Dillon might be a nice RB to have to potentially go with the 5-6 others I'm going to have to draft (auction style) just to have some depth.

Oddly (because I normally hate selfish athletes), I like his attitude toward Maroney, or anyone else who's trying to steal his job. He's complimentary of the kid, and willing to help out and offer veteran advice, but he's not gushing or acquiescent.

Think about it: in what other walk of life is one expected to mentor and nurture a guy who's been brought in specifically to eventually put you out of work? If you work at a law firm, and your boss pulled you aside and said, "Ted, this is Young Gun. We've brought him in to replace you on the partner track," would you smile and say, "Ok, I give up, he wins," or would you say, "Screw that, I've worked my ass off for the last 10 years to make partner, no way in hell this kid's passing me unless it's over my dead body." I know football is different than most walks of life, and athletes need to see when the writing's on the wall, but I personally like the chip on Dillon's shoulder. Last time he had a chip this big was when he came to us two years ago, and that worked out pretty well. Maybe he's just one of those guys who needs to feel slighted (whether in reality or in his own mind) to really produce?

Edited by msaint

Oddly (because I normally hate selfish athletes), I like his attitude toward Maroney, or anyone else who's trying to steal his job. He's complimentary of the kid, and willing to help out and offer veteran advice, but he's not gushing or acquiescent.

Think about it: in what other walk of life is one expected to mentor and nurture a guy who's been brought in specifically to eventualy put you out of work? If you work at a law firm, and your bosse pulled you aside and said, "Ted, this is Young Gun. We've brought him in to replace you on the partner track." Would you smile and say, "Ok, I give up, he wins," or would you say, "Screw that, I've worked my ass off for the last 10 years to make partner, no way in hell this kid's passing me unless it's over my dead body." I know football is different than most walks of life, and athletes need to see when the writing's on the wall, but I personally like the chip on Dillon's shoulder. Last time he had a chip this big was when he came to us two years ago, and that worked out pretty well. Maybe he's just one of those guys who needs to feel slighted (whether in reality or in his own mind) to really produce?

Agree 100%

Dillon is good, but a #2 back at best. You can't wear braces on both knees and not be considered a big risk! I like Dillon too, but when you get old...you get old. Look for him to go down somewhere during the season and Maroney to run away with the job. Just my opinion.

Think about it: in what other walk of life is one expected to mentor and nurture a guy who's been brought in specifically to eventually put you out of work? If you work at a law firm, and your boss pulled you aside and said, "Ted, this is Young Gun. We've brought him in to replace you on the partner track," would you smile and say, "Ok, I give up, he wins," or would you say, "Screw that, I've worked my ass off for the last 10 years to make partner, no way in hell this kid's passing me unless it's over my dead body." I know football is different than most walks of life, and athletes need to see when the writing's on the wall, but I personally like the chip on Dillon's shoulder. Last time he had a chip this big was when he came to us two years ago, and that worked out pretty well. Maybe he's just one of those guys who needs to feel slighted (whether in reality or in his own mind) to really produce?

i agree and i believe that chip will fire him up for this season. only helping the new kid so you are not a schmuck, however, does speak to dillon's character, or his immaturity. we all know he's had a strong career, there's no need to be carrying your accomplishments around in your pocket. it also doesn't take much to put on a good face for the press and spin this more like, "i'm glad the competition is here, i thrive on competition." or something like that.

i don't really care about his character, however. if he's fired up to go out with a bang or to hold off the new blood with a banner year, i'll sign up for that. will he really do that vs. just talk about it? time will tell. i would only go with him as my #2 at best after last season's injuries and inconsistencies.

I've never been a fan of Dillon's. His ego far outweighs his production (like so many other pro players). IMO he is the poster-boy for untapped potential.

If you don't like him for his attitude, fine by me; but his production would seem to justify a pretty big ego:

- 7 1100 or better seasons in 9 yrs (5 of them 1200 or better, the "new 1000 yds" IMO)

- 12,000 total yds, 76 tds

- 17th all time in rushing yds, 24th in rushing tds, 4.3 career ypc

...and to think the BULK of that was accomplished playing on a Bengals team without much other than him on a consistent basis.

As to Dillon THIS year, he has struggled with injuries 2 of the past 3 years(<750 yds rushing, less than 4 ypc in '03 and '05); his body is breaking down - 2400 carries and 31 years of age and his recent injury history suggest to me that '04's 1600 yd, 12 td season was his last hurrah.