[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superman Returns

tonorator

I may be a little bit curmudgeony, but my problem with the concept of Superman has always been that there really isn't anything that can stop him (yeah, yeah, kryptonite, but come on....).

I like the humanity of Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne. Makes for far more compelling storylines.

I may be a little bit curmudgeony, but my problem with the concept of Superman has always been that there really isn't anything that can stop him (yeah, yeah, kryptonite, but come on....).

I like the humanity of Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne. Makes for far more compelling storylines.

I agree...I'm not a big fan of really outrageous superpowers....

spiderman was reasonable in a fantasy realm....Batman even more-so....

Superman has a plethora of superpowers....it just doesn't do it for me...

having said all that...this movie is going to be great...I've heard a couple things from it....on top of Spacey as Luthor....this is not one to miss....

Spacey was right there with a bald Ed Norton as Luthor for me.....one of my favorite villains...up there with the Joker and Bane.....

no argument. batman begins was awesome, along with christian bale.

bryan singer (the director) looks to have done a magnificent job with just this angle, painting superman in a god-like, savior type role (i've sent you kal-el, my only son) ... this should make it much richer vs. just superman fighting bad guys or being stopped by kryptonite (which are both in there too, i believe).

Spacey was right there with a bald Ed Norton as Luthor for me.....one of my favorite villains...up there with the Joker and Bane.....

Didn't Spacey play Dr. Evil in the movie version of Austin Powers? I keep picturing him like that.

There are apparently breaks in the action where he floats in orbit pulling in the sun's rays and listening to things happening below.

That's something that I cannot recall having been done in the comics, and I, for one who has been geeking about this since before X3, cannot wait for.

I agree...I'm not a big fan of really outrageous superpowers....

Superman has a plethora of superpowers....it just doesn't do it for me...

That's one of the unending comic book geek debates - people taking issue with Superman being so bland.

Supes is very much Captain America, if Captain America weren't in real danger of being injured/killed every time out. So basically, the character is an indestructible boy scout. Not much drama there, as far as the way he's been done for the bulk of his career, although many aspects of the character could be done in a VERY interesting way (for a great take on Superman, pick up some issues of Kurt Busiek's Astro City that feature the Samaritan).

No. That was Mike Myers too.

No, not the movie Austin Powers - the movie they made of Austin Powers adventures IN one of the Austin Powers movies (the 3rd one, I think), with Tom Cruise as Austin and Danny DeVito as Mini-Me.

No, not the movie Austin Powers - the movie they made of Austin Powers adventures IN one of the Austin Powers movies (the 3rd one, I think), with Tom Cruise as Austin and Danny DeVito as Mini-Me.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. . .

That's one of the unending comic book geek debates - people taking issue with Superman being so bland.

Supes is very much Captain America, if Captain America weren't in real danger of being injured/killed every time out. So basically, the character is an indestructible boy scout. Not much drama there, as far as the way he's been done for the bulk of his career, although many aspects of the character could be done in a VERY interesting way (for a great take on Superman, pick up some issues of Kurt Busiek's Astro City that feature the Samaritan).

Thats a good read. :D Chavez, have you been checking out the current run on Superman by Morrison and Quitely?

well folks, it was everything you would want a superman movie to be.

it was showing on 3 screens at 10:00 and the line to get in the multiplex went all the way around to the back of the building, and it is a hugh building. as we were going in for the 10:00 show, the midnighters were already camping out.

i will list no spoilers here. frankly, i wish i would not have seen any trailers or scenes from the movie prior to watching it so i could have experienced everything for the first time. knowing what was coming, however, didn't make it any less amazing.

at times, the entire audience cheered, they laughed, and they even shared a common hush at a tender moment. this is simply a movie for the the people. it is what you want in a superman movie. the effects are incredibly realistic and the cast delivers. i was skeptical about kate bosworth as lois, but she pulled it off. spacey was his usual great self.

i must say, however, that brandon routh makes the movie. this guy was born to play superman. there is no way in hell that a nicolas cage or any other known actor could have pulled this off. with routh, since you have never seen him before, and since he has the look down, you can forget that aspect and enjoy the movie. i thought his portayal as clark, with some of his looks and mannerisms, were hilarious.

yes, you can start picking at things. there were definitely things i would like to change. there are the inevitable issues with superman being all-powerful at times, and then vulnerable at times. yes, you do expect him to save the day, and he does. yes, it is kryptonite, again. but folks, this isn't an intellectual exercise, and they were not going for oscars. it is a fan movie that is fun, with great moments, and great special effects.

i'll get more specific in a separate thread with spoiler alerts for those who have seen the movie ...

there was also a wonderful moment during the credits. when the phrase "this film is dedicated to the memory of christopher and dana reeve" showed up, there was a strong round of applause from the entire audience ...

:D

well folks, it was everything you would want a superman movie to be.

it was showing on 3 screens at 10:00 and the line to get in the multiplex went all the way around to the back of the building, and it is a hugh building. as we were going in for the 10:00 show, the midnighters were already camping out.

i will list no spoilers here. frankly, i wish i would not have seen any trailers or scenes from the movie prior to watching it so i could have experienced everything for the first time. knowing what was coming, however, didn't make it any less amazing.

at times, the entire audience cheered, they laughed, and they even shared a common hush at a tender moment. this is simply a movie for the the people. it is what you want in a superman movie. the effects are incredibly realistic and the cast delivers. i was skeptical about kate bosworth as lois, but she pulled it off. spacey was his usual great self.

i must say, however, that brandon routh makes the movie. this guy was born to play superman. there is no way in hell that a nicolas cage or any other known actor could have pulled this off. with routh, since you have never seen him before, and since he has the look down, you can forget that aspect and enjoy the movie. i thought his portayal as clark, with some of his looks and mannerisms, were hilarious.

yes, you can start picking at things. there were definitely things i would like to change. there are the inevitable issues with superman being all-powerful at times, and then vulnerable at times. yes, you do expect him to save the day, and he does. yes, it is kryptonite, again. but folks, this isn't an intellectual exercise, and they were not going for oscars. it is a fan movie that is fun, with great moments, and great special effects.

i'll get more specific in a separate thread with spoiler alerts for those who have seen the movie ...

I haven't seen the movie yet...so I can't comment on Routh's perfrormance...

But I will say that there is one other guy that I know could have pulled it off, regardless. Tom Welling. He was also born to play Superman. And he is probably the only other one.

I haven't seen the movie yet...so I can't comment on Routh's perfrormance...

But I will say that there is one other guy that I know could have pulled it off, regardless. Tom Welling. He was also born to play Superman. And he is probably the only other one.

i like welling on smallville, but i just can't see him on the big screen in the role, not now. he is just too boyish to pull it off at this stage, i believe. to see him with the slicked back hair and in the suit could look somewhat goofy. i can't see nicolas cage in the suit either. i probably couldn't stop laughing at that (for those who don't know, he was very close to playing superman in an earlier version). routh does it, and it somehow just seems right. you don't even think about it, you just watch ...

i like welling on smallville, but i just can't see him on the big screen in the role, not now. he is just too boyish to pull it off at this stage, i believe. to see him with the slicked back hair and in the suit could look somewhat goofy. i can't see nicolas cage in the suit either. i probably couldn't stop laughing at that (for those who don't know, he was very close to playing superman in an earlier version). routh does it, and it somehow just seems right. you don't even think about it, you just watch ...

I work in Hollywood and the Welling story I've heard is this: he was offered the role. During negotiations his agent decided they wanted to hold out for a bigger piece of the merchandising rights. So much so, that eventually WB pointed out that Superman was well established before Welling and would do quite well after Welling, so they broke off negotiations and decied to go the 'unknown' route.

Routh was a bartender at the "Luck Strike" bowling alley which is part of the Highland/Hollywood complex (which is where the Kodak theater that holds the Oscars is located), when he got the audition. Another story I heard was that he was working on a short film -for free- during the weekend in which he accepted the part. Word on the street is he showed up to finish the short for the last 2 days, totally jazzed but very much down to earth about the whole thing. Tru 'Hollywood story' a la Hillary Swank who lived in her car.

Welling, should have fired his agent, but I don't know if that ever happened.

:D

Edited by Pope Flick

Routh was a bartender at the "Luck Strike" bowling alley which is part of the Highland/Hollywood complex (which is where the Kodak theater that holds the Oscars is located), when he got the audition. Another story I heard was that he was working on a short film -for free- during the weekend in which he accepted the part. Word on the street is he showed up to finish the short for the last 2 days, totally jazzed but very much down to earth about the whole thing. Tru 'Hollywood story' a la Hillary Swank who lived in her car.

routh did have some soap opera experience as well ... personally, i'm glad welling turned it down.