[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Place for Reasonably Priced Laptops

Big Country

Basically, lookin to spend as little as possible, but still get a machine that can do what I need.

TReally all I need is a machine that would be able to:

Handle Microsoft Office, primarily Word, Excel and Outlook

Handle cruising the internet, primarily here and yahoo to clear out e-mail before downloading it

Play poker at various poker sites.

Would like it to be able to play DVDs, especially for travel

Wireless required but pretty much standard these days.

I would like a 17" screen, but realize 15" is much more economical.

So, given these criteria, any input as to what my minimum requirements should be as far as processor speed and Ram and input on where to look for the best deals.

THanks.

Dude.... :D

I may as well check out the refurbed... everytime I have proced out the new ones, I always feel like adding in the upgrades.. like go from 60 to 100 GB hard drive for just $80 or whatever it is, double the RAM and so forth and next thing I know I have gone from a base of $500 to a $1000 machine before warranty, tax and shipping are added in.

For local type stores, CompUSA has some decent stuff. RR juniorette's and my HP's are doing fine, but their tech support is not that great, but at least they're Canadian not from............well you know where. I used to have Toshibas and would always recommend them, but last year they came out with a 75 model that was a nightmare. Sony's aren't bad, but over priced. Dells are OK! Hope that helps. :D

I got a refurbished Dell for about a grand, shipped

:D HAHAHA sucker every minute...

Want a Dell? Then at least use one of their great coupons:

http://www.gotapex.com/

Expires TONIGHT! DellSB - Inspiron 6400 Laptop with 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo T2300E, 15.4" WXGA TFT, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, 24x CD-RW/DVD combo, and 802.11a/b/g Wireless for $699 with FREE Shipping

Can't go wrong with that! Holy schit, that really is a great deal, dayum.... expires tonight though.

Also here: http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php

But, if I were buying, I really like the Toshiba units with truebright screens, good place for open box units, new with full warranty, just not sealed:

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less

Toshiba Satellite M35X-S114 - Celeron M 350 1.3 GHz - RAM 256 MB - HD 40 GB - CD-RW / DVD - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, 802.11b, 802.11g - Win XP Home - 15" TFT XGA (1024 x 768) $515!!!

Only the newest Celerons like this one are worth considering.

Laptops are expensive, they are easy to break & expensive to repair, and they are easy to steal... so keep those ideas in mind when buying a new one.

Of that dell and that toshiba though? The dell is a much better deal for $699 with that kind of power.

:D HAHAHA sucker every minute...

Want a Dell? Then at least use one of their great coupons:

http://www.gotapex.com/

Expires TONIGHT! DellSB - Inspiron 6400 Laptop with 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo T2300E, 15.4" WXGA TFT, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, 24x CD-RW/DVD combo, and 802.11a/b/g Wireless for $699 with FREE Shipping

Can't go wrong with that! Holy schit, that really is a great deal, dayum.... expires tonight though.

:D That's pretty much exactly what I got about a year or so ago. After taxes, etc. that would be about the same price. This is a great deal though.

$699 = "under a grand" :D

Edited by darin3

That's pretty much exactly what I got about a year or so ago.

You got a Dual Core CPU in a laptop a year before they existed? Wow, you DA MAN!!!!

After taxes, etc.

Taxes? $699 + 8% sales tax = $755... yeah, thats about $1000... Hey, are you polish or a girl?

You got a Dual Core CPU in a laptop a year before they existed? Wow, you DA MAN!!!!

Taxes? $699 + 8% sales tax = $755... yeah, thats about $1000... Hey, are you polish or a girl?

"Pretty much". Sorry, don't even know what a "dual core CPU" is. :D All I know is that I got a nice laptop with a warranty for like 900 bucks when they were going for 1500 online - and not just at dell.com. Sorry, not everyone is as computer-savvy as you are. :D