[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter Gammons

tonorator

Gammons is only 61? I thought he was, like, 117 or something...

Anyway, much in the way of positive vibes to him and his family. His quiet professionalism stands out for all the right reason in the shuckin'-and-jivin' atmosphere currently in full bloom at ESPN.

This guy is ancient IMO let the young guys a shot at reporting... Hope the best for him nonetheless. Maybe because I don't remember him not looking like he was 60...

age has nothing to do with quality of reporting. gammons is one of the most knowledgable, reliable, and unbiased guys out there. it's hard to find those 3 qualities in ANY announcer anymore. i'd be curious what "young guys" you think would do better work than gammons. not trying to pound on you broncos, but there are a lot older announcers in a lot worse shape that don't deserve jobs because they just can't cut it anymore, yet they still find work on major networks. but gammons isn't one of them, and i would hardly consider him ancient. i would say the youngest guy i can think of that has close to comparable abilities of reporting, knowledge, and commentary is harold reynolds and i think he's probably 45 or 46.

This guy is ancient IMO let the young guys a shot at reporting... Hope the best for him nonetheless. Maybe because I don't remember him not looking like he was 60...

Sometimes you need to shut your piehole. This would've been a good time to do so.

age has nothing to do with quality of reporting. gammons is one of the most knowledgable, reliable, and unbiased guys out there. it's hard to find those 3 qualities in ANY announcer anymore. i'd be curious what "young guys" you think would do better work than gammons. not trying to pound on you broncos, but there are a lot older announcers in a lot worse shape that don't deserve jobs because they just can't cut it anymore, yet they still find work on major networks. but gammons isn't one of them, and i would hardly consider him ancient. i would say the youngest guy i can think of that has close to comparable abilities of reporting, knowledge, and commentary is harold reynolds and i think he's probably 45 or 46.

:D I dig Gammons... but to say he's unbiased is... well... sorta wrong. Dude is a HUGH Red Sox homer and ALWAYS puts them first. Dude is an incredible talent (already in the Hall, IIRC) and I certainly hope for the best with his recovery... but he is most definitely NOT unbiased. :D

Edit: And as Rome says, he's on the $20 bill, so he has to be good. :D

Gammons and Gammons

Edited by darin3

:D I dig Gammons... but to say he's unbiased is... well... sorta wrong. Dude is a HUGH Red Sox homer and ALWAYS puts them first. Dude is an incredible talent (already in the Hall, IIRC) and I certainly hope for the best with his recovery... but he is most definitely NOT unbiased. :D

the guy is a fan of the red sox, no doubt, but his coverage is generally unbiased. everybody has teams they like, and certainly gammons is a homer, but it rarely reflects negatively on his analysis. just because he might mention them first doesn't mean he won't ask honest questions. i've seen gammons give negative commentary on the red sox before. homer....yes. using his platform to judge other teams unfairly....no.

the guy is a fan of the red sox, no doubt, but his coverage is generally unbiased. everybody has teams they like, and certainly gammons is a homer, but it rarely reflects negatively on his analysis. just because he might mention them first doesn't mean he won't ask honest questions. i've seen gammons give negative commentary on the red sox before. homer....yes. using his platform to judge other teams unfairly....no.

I agree... but you can certainly tell he has bias... whereas with a guy like Kruk (not saying Kruk is ANYWHERE NEAR Gammons), there is absolutely no homerism whatsover. I like Gammons alot... the guy is a baseball genius. I hope he's doing better.

I agree... but you can certainly tell he has bias... whereas with a guy like Kruk (not saying Kruk is ANYWHERE NEAR Gammons), there is absolutely no homerism whatsover. I like Gammons alot... the guy is a baseball genius. I hope he's doing better.

absolutely

I imagine that Gammons must have been a hell of a baseball writer back in his day in order for him to have made the Hall of Fame based on that talent. However, as a baseball analyst on ESPN I'm not that impressed with him. He may know a lot of people in and around baseball, but his trade "scoops" almost never turn out to have any basis in reality, and let's remember that this is a guy that predicted that Bobby Crosby would be the AL MVP this year in the preseason. I respect going out on a limb and all, but Bobby friggin' Crosby the MVP? :D For current and accurate baseball knowledge, I find Buster Olney much more informative than Gammons. With that said, he does seem like a good guy though, and obviously I hope that he's doing better and recovers fully.

Peter Gammons revolutionized sports writing in the 1970s. He essentially invented the "national correspondent" role with his Sunday "Baseball notes" column that was syndicated nationwide and until the advent of ESPN, often the only source even baseball executives had of guaging the rumour mill.

John Clayton and Chris Mortenson owe a lot to the trail Peter Gammons blazed for them.

Gammons does have the reporter's tendency to want to "stand out" from his colleagues, which leads to saying things like saying "Bobby Crosby = AL MVP", but it also leads to embracing "new" statististics like OBP and OPS.

I had the opportunity to talk baseball with him for about twenty minutes a few years ago. Very easy going, very much loved just talking baseball. I hope things go well for him with this situation.

The problem with Gammons' obnoxious Red Sox homerism is that he just gives waaaay too much air time to them. Even if his analysis of the BoSox (and other teams) is "fair and balanced", the fact that he gives so much time to the Red Sox makes his material extremely slanted and causes everybody west of Pennsylvania to roll their eyes. If Gammons worked for NESN, it wouldn't be a problem, but it is when he's doing analysis on a national network.

That said, I hope that he's doing well and makes a full recovery.

The problem with Gammons' obnoxious Red Sox homerism is that he just gives waaaay too much air time to them. Even if his analysis of the BoSox (and other teams) is "fair and balanced", the fact that he gives so much time to the Red Sox makes his material extremely slanted and causes everybody west of Pennsylvania to roll their eyes. If Gammons worked for NESN, it wouldn't be a problem, but it is when he's doing analysis on a national network.

That said, I hope that he's doing well and makes a full recovery.

...as if EVERY OTHER national media outlet doesn't cover Yanks/Sawx ad nauseum. They'll throw a bone to the Dodgers, the San Francisco Bondses, the Cubs, and the Cards - of the rest, if some team that has done something quirky on the field like win 20 of their past 21 games they might get a mention.

If Gammons is slanted towards Boston, it's no worse than anyone else. Heck, as a fan of the South Siders, you should be intimately familiar with the "team with the largest theoretical fan base wins" school of coverage.