[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France thread

Chavez

I'm interested despite ol' One-nut being retired.

The smart money is betting on Jan Ullrich returning to the winner's podium with Ivan Basso being his closest challenger. Some say Ullrich lacks heart; the knock on Basso is that he's a "pure" climber. I think the CSC team has some nice mo' built up from the Giro d'Italia win; dominated Ullrich in the mountains during the Tour of Switzerland.

Top Americans are Levi Leipheimer riding for German team Gerolsteiner who finished a solid 6th last year and George Hincapie, who takes over as captain of the Discover team.

Personally, I think Basso takes it; he seems to be on the way up while Ullrich seems to be in decline.

Is the Meathead still around?

I don't think he provided his insight last year, and I don't recall the last time that I saw a post from him.

:D He left in Fall 2004 in reaction to the avatar policy. :D

But look for reports from Gameday.

The smart money is betting on Jan Ullrich returning to the winner's podium with Ivan Basso being his closest challenger. Some say Ullrich lacks heart; the knock on Basso is that he's a "pure" climber. I think the CSC team has some nice mo' built up from the Giro d'Italia win; dominated Ullrich in the mountains during the Tour of Switzerland.

Top Americans are Levi Leipheimer riding for German team Gerolsteiner who finished a solid 6th last year and George Hincapie, who takes over as captain of the Discover team.

Personally, I think Basso takes it; he seems to be on the way up while Ullrich seems to be in decline.

i haven't been paying close attention yet this season, but i doubt very seriously the "smart money" is on ullrich ahead of basso. but frankly, i'd almost want to put my money on a darkhorse this year. maybe that spanish kid who was doing well last year before he got hurt?

did a little searching, here are the best odds available right now on each contender...

Ivan Basso (CSC) 5/4

Jan Ullrich (T-M) 5/2

Alejandro Valverde (ILL) 10.9/1

Floyd Landis (Pho) 16

Alexander Vinokourov (Wur) 20

Cadel Evans (Dav) 40

Levi Leipheimer (Ger) 43

Yaroslav Popovych (Dis) 46

Francisco Mancebo (AG2) 50

George Hincapie (Dis) 50

Paolo Savoldelli (Dis) 66

Jose Azevedo (Dis) 66

Iban Mayo (Eus) 73

at those odds, give me valverde (the guy whose name i couldn't think of in the last post), cadel evans and popovich.

One afternoon two weeks ago (actually 13 days ago) I happened to drive over part of the route that the Tour de Suisse had gone over earlier in the day. Part of the race that day went over the Grimsel Pass and then over the Furka pass (and finished about 100 kilometers further on at the top of a third mountain pass). I honestly don't know what would be worse, biking up the passes or biking down them. Biking up the passes would be pain and misery beyond what I want to imagine, but one slight miscalculation going down would mean certain death. It just increased my appreciation for these guys even more.

Doping scandal rocks Tour

Well, Ullrich and Basso sure were eliminated from contention early! :D

Cycling News Flash for June 29, 2006

Edited by Jeff Jones

More names released in Operación Puerto

Spanish newspaper El Pais has published more names among the 58 riders involved in Operación Puerto. The list, which comes from the Spanish Civil Guard's official report on the doping probe, contains several big names, and there is a strong possibility that the Tour de France could be raced with a very different list of favourites.

Cyclingnews sources say that Spanish authorities have obtained blood tests from last year's Tour and compared them to the names on this list in order to confirm the matches to the blood found in the blood bags.

El Pais has alleged that Jan Ullrich, Roberto Heras, Oscar Sevilla, Joseba Beloki, Santiago Botero, Santi Pérez, Tyler Hamilton, Quique Gutierrez and Angel Edo are all mentioned in the 500 page report that will be delivered to the Spanish Secretary of State for Sport, Jaime Lissavetsky. In addition, De Telegraaf mentions that Rabobank riders Denis Menchov and Juan-Antonio Flecha are on the list, and other sources have mentioned Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo. All the riders questioned by journalists so far have denied any involvement in the affair.

Lissavetsky will fly to Strasbourg on Friday to meet French counterpart Jean-François Lamour to discuss the affair before the start of the Tour.

The names at the centre of the affair, which is being treated as a crime against public health, as Spain hasn't got its anti-doping law in place yet, are still the following five: Sports doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, haematologist José Luis Merino Batres; directeur sportif of Comunidad Valenciana, Ignacio Labarta; former team manager of Liberty Seguros, Manolo Saiz; and the former mountain biker Alberto León.

Astana-Würth OK to race

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has given the Astana-Wurth team the go-ahead to race in the Tour de France. "CAS has rejected the request of ASO to stop the team Astana-Würth from starting the Tour de France," read the CAS official statement.

On June 26, ASO, the organisers of the Tour, had asked Active Bay, the managing company of the Spanish squad, not to take part in its race. Both parties took their case to CAS, which heard it today (June 29) in the presence of ASO and Active Bay representatives.

CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.

Performance doper dies from drug overdose. :D

AS much as all loss of life is tragic, this is not really top on my lists

Ride Marco, Ride.

It started when he was just fourteen,

He wasn’t an ordinary teen.

He worked hard and strong,

And long, and long.

Ride Marco, ride.

He turned pro when he was just seventeen,

He was still a troubled teen.

He dreamed of being the best,

Better then all of the rest.