[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do I hook up sound from tv to stereo?

polksalet

The rca cable hooks in the stereo but pops out. It is like made for ashorter rca jack or something.

You mean like the female holes on the stereo are too big for the plug? Mine's like that but it's close enough to make a connection, it just isn't a tight fit.

I just taped the wires to the back of the entertainment center so they don't fall out of the plug.

Edited by Clubfoothead

You got a hi-def TV and don't have a nice surround sound system? :D It's not gonna work right hooking up to a ghetto blaster, sorry.

This is a nice stereo, it was high enough anyhow.

This is a nice stereo, it was high enough anyhow.

Hmm, well then it should have RCA inputs in the back to hook up an auxiliary device, such as your TV. The front access hookup is for an iPod or something like that, most likely. If you don't have an auxiliary hook-up in the back, it's not gonna happen.

Hmm, well then it should have RCA inputs in the back to hook up an auxiliary device, such as your TV. The front access hookup is for an iPod or something like that, most likely. If you don't have an auxiliary hook-up in the back, it's not gonna happen.

My receiver is so old the TV hooks up in the "alt" plugs. The same ones I hook that fancy ass CD player to. This receiver just won't quit. Paid $300.00 for it in 1988 and it still rocks.

It calls for an "audio analog cord". What the heck is that?

My receiver is so old the TV hooks up in the "alt" plugs. The same ones I hook that fancy ass CD player to. This receiver just won't quit. Paid $300.00 for it in 1988 and it still rocks.

My parents just dumped their Sansui receiver after 20+ years of service. That thing ROCKED. Weighted analog dial with big-ass knobs. Thing weighed a ton ... mainly 'cuz the amp was nice n' big. Something sorta like this yet not QUITE so nice. They probably should have kept it and sold it. :D

See, now you get what you pay for. $300 back nearly 20 years ago means you got a great piece of equipment.

Analog = one plug... what is asking for that? Your TV or your stereo? If you want, post what brand/model you have (TV and stereo).

The tv has rca and the stereo wants the analog. Stereo is Sony MHC-GX470 and tv is a Phillips of some model (bought it used).

I think I have it figured out. The tv has a headphone out and it looks identical to the audio in on the stereo. I will go to best buy and see what they have in a bit.

The tv has rca and the stereo wants the analog. Stereo is Sony MHC-GX470 and tv is a Phillips of some model (bought it used).

I think I have it figured out. The tv has a headphone out and it looks identical to the audio in on the stereo. I will go to best buy and see what they have in a bit.

I personally would not hook that stereo up to a HDTV. Go out and buy a nice surround sound system. Whatever you do, do not hook the TV's headphone out up to a stereo.

I personally would not hook that stereo up to a HDTV. Go out and buy a nice surround sound system. Whatever you do, do not hook the TV's headphone out up to a stereo.

Why not? If the stereo blows I will take it back.

Why not? If the stereo blows I will take it back.

It's not designed to be hooked up to a TV. If it were, it'd have rear RCA inputs. This is a small shelf system designed for a home office or den or kid's room.

I typically don't recommend buying a "home theatre system in a box", but I actually purchased a real good Yamaha system: link...

It's not designed to be hooked up to a TV. If it were, it'd have rear RCA inputs. This is a small shelf system designed for a home office or den or kid's room.

I typically don't recommend buying a "home theatre system in a box", but I actually purchased a real good Yamaha system: link...

I really do not wish to add more clutter to my living room and am going to try the stereo. I know it will not be world class sound but it will be vastly superior to the tv speakers. That is assuming the stero doesn't blow.

I really do not wish to add more clutter to my living room and am going to try the stereo. I know it will not be world class sound but it will be vastly superior to the tv speakers. That is assuming the stero doesn't blow.

Alright, but trust me, you will not appreciate your HDTV as much with that stereo, if it even works. If it does, you're more than likely going to get mono (one speaker) sound. Believe me, there is little clutter associated with the system I linked. The main piece of equipment is no bigger than your current Sony. You put the sub behind a chair or couch. The speakers are TINY and can be wall-mounted.

Just trust me. :D

Or is this system for your office/bedroom or something? If it's for the living room, you're going to want something that's compatible with your new TV.

I'm surprised a guy like Avernus hasn't chimed in yet. What's up guys?