[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CONCACAF

Dr. Sacrebleu

In the final eight of the WC, we have the usual suspects: 6 of the 7 all-time cup winners (uruguay has not been a soccer power in a long long time, and one suspects their early wins came from hosting the cup, and playing in South America at a time when transatlantic travel for this "world cup thing" probably was not that huge) 6 european and 2 south american teams. While part of the fun of watching the world cup is that all the regions of the world are represented (who hasn't rooted for Cameroon, Ghana, Jamaica, Australia, Turkey and other assorted underdogs in WCs present and past), I would not change that in a million years, it is high time for either more berths for the WC (go to a 36 or 48 team format) or at the very least revise the ridiculous amount of berths of the CONCACAF. Other than really enjoying saying CONCACAF regularily in conversation, what nudie pictures of Sepp Blatter does the CONCACAF have to get 4 teams in the WC? IIRC, their collective record is 1-3-9 for this WC. This in and of itself is no great crime (though it would be interesting to see their winning percentage over the last 5 cups compared to other "lesser" regions), but when you look at how easy it is to get to the WC from the CONCACAF, something is just wrong: preliminary rounds have the ususal suspects go up against power houses like St Kitts (unfairly aided by the neighboring island of Nevins) and St Vincent (also unfairly getting a boost from fellow powerhouse the Grenadines). After two rounds of facing absolutely nobody, the strongest of the heap emerge:

US, Mexico. Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, Panama.

This would be considered a very good group in Europe. It compares to a group like Czech republic, Holland, Romania, Finland, Armenia, Macedonia.

The difference being that the top 3 teams of the final CONCACAF group get an automatic berth, while the 4th goes to a playoff with another joke country (bahrain). Leading to 4 Berths.

In europe, only the group winner of each group is guaranteed a berth, and the two best runner-ups of the 8 groups. There is a repechage which will allow 4 other teams a berth (in fact only 3 since gremany got an automatic bid).

Put another way, here are some of the casualties of the European zone that did not make the WC2006: Romania, Turkey (previous semi finalist of WC), Greece (reinging european cup champion), Norway, Belgium, Bulgaria amongst many deserving teams. while the very best resumes of the CONCACAF excluded, as far as I can tell are Canada and jamaica, both teams having qualified for the WC in the past (mostly because of the high amount of berths given to CONCACAF (SOMEBODY has to come in 3rd or 4th of that group).

This is just weird.

In the final eight of the WC, we have the usual suspects: 6 of the 7 all-time cup winners (uruguay has not been a soccer power in a long long time, and one suspects their early wins came from hosting the cup, and playing in South America at a time when transatlantic travel for this "world cup thing" probably was not that huge) 6 european and 2 south american teams. While part of the fun of watching the world cup is that all the regions of the world are represented (who hasn't rooted for Cameroon, Ghana, Jamaica, Australia, Turkey and other assorted underdogs in WCs present and past), I would not change that in a million years, it is high time for either more berths for the WC (go to a 36 or 48 team format) or at the very least revise the ridiculous amount of berths of the CONCACAF. Other than really enjoying saying CONCACAF regularily in conversation, what nudie pictures of Sepp Blatter does the CONCACAF have to get 4 teams in the WC? IIRC, their collective record is 1-3-9 for this WC. This in and of itself is no great crime (though it would be interesting to see their winning percentage over the last 5 cups compared to other "lesser" regions), but when you look at how easy it is to get to the WC from the CONCACAF, something is just wrong: preliminary rounds have the ususal suspects go up against power houses like St Kitts (unfairly aided by the neighboring island of Nevins) and St Vincent (also unfairly getting a boost from fellow powerhouse the Grenadines). After two rounds of facing absolutely nobody, the strongest of the heap emerge:

US, Mexico. Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, Panama.

This would be considered a very good group in Europe. It compares to a group like Czech republic, Holland, Romania, Finland, Armenia, Macedonia.

The difference being that the top 3 teams of the final CONCACAF group get an automatic berth, while the 4th goes to a playoff with another joke country (bahrain). Leading to 4 Berths.

In europe, only the group winner of each group is guaranteed a berth, and the two best runner-ups of the 8 groups. There is a repechage which will allow 4 other teams a berth (in fact only 3 since gremany got an automatic bid).

Put another way, here are some of the casualties of the European zone that did not make the WC2006: Romania, Turkey (previous semi finalist of WC), Greece (reinging european cup champion), Norway, Belgium, Bulgaria amongst many deserving teams. while the very best resumes of the CONCACAF excluded, as far as I can tell are Canada and jamaica, both teams having qualified for the WC in the past (mostly because of the high amount of berths given to CONCACAF (SOMEBODY has to come in 3rd or 4th of that group).

This is just weird.

Factual correction: St Kitts and Nevis are one country.

As for the rest of it, the situation is that FIFA know they have to have regional qualifying for the World Cup and some areas are stronger than others. If they are to continue the effort to broaden the game into North America (which has the potential to be a gold mine and money is what Blatter really cares about) then there needs to be North American representation. The same argument you put forward for CONCACAF applies equally to the Oceania group, where Australia beat Guam or someone 29-0 recently. Australia's only real hurdle was the playoff against the 5th placed South American team, Uruguay.

If the World Cup is to be a real World Cup, there must be representation from the whole world. If that lowers the standard a little, then fine, but remember the US made the quarter finals in '02 and were only beaten by the Germans 1-0 and should have had a penalty too. Australia advanced this year also and gave Brazil a battle. The days of World Cup pushovers like Zaire when Brazil destroyed them 9-0 are long gone. No team was disgraced at this World Cup, so I don't really see the argument here. Soccer is the greatest leveller there is in the world of sports.

As for the rest of it, the situation is that FIFA know they have to have regional qualifying for the World Cup and some areas are stronger than others. If they are to continue the effort to broaden the game into North America (which has the potential to be a gold mine and money is what Blatter really cares about) then there needs to be North American representation. The same argument you put forward for CONCACAF applies equally to the Oceania group, where Australia beat Guam or someone 29-0 recently. Australia's only real hurdle was the playoff against the 5th placed South American team, Uruguay.

If the World Cup is to be a real World Cup, there must be representation from the whole world. If that lowers the standard a little, then fine, but remember the US made the quarter finals in '02 and were only beaten by the Germans 1-0 and should have had a penalty too. Australia advanced this year also and gave Brazil a battle. The days of World Cup pushovers like Zaire when Brazil destroyed them 9-0 are long gone. No team was disgraced at this World Cup, so I don't really see the argument here. Soccer is the greatest leveller there is in the world of sports.

well put, why single out CONCACAF when you have other regions that are not as strong...

Why do you hate America?

ps - Tony Sanneh almost tied the game against Germany but his header went just wide of the post in the lat 10 minutes of the game

Edited by alexgaddis

I think that works the other way round, too. :D

Nah.... Americans are born loving everyone and everything. Blissfully going on their uninformed merry way... until .... later, BANG! ... they are exposed to the continuously complaining, unwashed, unshaved, sniveling little back stabbing french, then they learn to dislike. Reality is a true bummer sometimes.

I used to feel pity.... I mean, I always thought that it wasn't their fault they were born french.... but not anymore. They don't even attempt to better themselves. Preferring to wallow away in their self-rightous attitude and self-pity of being eternal losers. Kinda sad really. It must be hell to be french, always looking for something to complain about or tear down. Never looking at the bright side or the good in something.

Nah.... Americans are born loving everyone and everything. Blissfully going on their uninformed merry way... until .... later, BANG! ... they are exposed to the continuously complaining, unwashed, unshaved, sniveling little back stabbing french, then they learn to dislike. Reality is a true bummer sometimes.

I used to feel pity.... I mean, I always thought that it wasn't their fault they were born french.... but not anymore. They don't even attempt to better themselves. Preferring to wallow away in their self-rightous attitude and self-pity of being eternal losers. Kinda sad really. It must be hell to be french, always looking for something to complain about or tear down. Never looking at the bright side or the good in something.

It probably has a lot to do with the chiks that don't shave their armpits. Like in Colorado. :D

Note to self: If you ever need to escape from Sky, go to France. :D

I make yoke. Fact still remains, it's a country of 42000 inhabitants

The same argument you put forward for CONCACAF applies equally to the Oceania group, where Australia beat Guam or someone 29-0 recently. Australia's only real hurdle was the playoff against the 5th placed South American team, Uruguay.

My point exactly: Oceania has only one berth. Just beating a bunch of island nations does not guarantee Australia enrty into the WC. They still have to go to a barrage match. Beating a bunch of island nations does get both Mexico, the US, and another tiny island nation in. While leaving a barrage match to the 4th tiny island nation

As for the rest of it, the situation is that FIFA know they have to have regional qualifying for the World Cup and some areas are stronger than others. If they are to continue the effort to broaden the game into North America (which has the potential to be a gold mine and money is what Blatter really cares about) then there needs to be North American representation.

AH. So it's not the nudie pictures? It's just lucre. :D

NB I never said the US does not deserve a berth. I never said that Mexico does not deserve a berth. Both countries are highly rated by FIFA, and have proven themselves (snicker) on the field. I said in my post that including the rest of the world is paramount "While part of the fun of watching the world cup is that all the regions of the world are represented (who hasn't rooted for Cameroon, Ghana, Jamaica, Australia, Turkey and other assorted underdogs in WCs present and past), I would not change that in a million years, " My question was why the CONCACAF region gets such a dimeasured advantage compared to the other disatvantaged region. Don't you think they have far easier qualifying than Africa or Asia, or even Oceania? Africa CAN produce 4 very strong sides (togo was pretty weak) CONCACAF just can not. They can produce 2 competitive teams, 3 if things really break right

You want me to send you pics of my wife's cleanshaven pits? :D

So long as you are offering, may I please have copies of these pictures as well? I promise to view them only in a tasteful manner. If possible, could the pics be taken when she is asleep and has no idea that photographs have been taken? I would prefer black and white pics but color would be acceptable.

whatever. :D

I think I have pretty much established here that I can take a good joke at the expense of my people, and have even helped to heap on some derision for comedic effect. But when I bring up a subject that has nothing to do with france, or the US, but of the esoteric division of regions in World Cup qualifying (sort of like some people might discuss the DH with passion), and that it is seen as an anti-american thing by some, or as cynical by others, and it culminates in the stupid post, I don't have much to say other than :D up yours.

Your like that derby drunkard at the hole in the wall bar, I was at last week, when I cheered on France when they were playing togo. He leaned over and slurred slowly "why are..you..rooting for the ennemy" I beleive your post is the epitome of "self rightous attitude"

So I repeat to you sky: go ef yourself

au contraire. they manage to see the good in jerry lewis.

So I repeat to you sky: go ef yourself

This has been an ongoing thing between the two of us for more years than I can count.... a lot of give and take and ribbing.... and at no time did I ever stoop to telling you to "go ef yourself".... and while I may not have even a smidgen of like for the french on the whole, I thought better of you. I'm disappointed.

Whoa, boys! I mean that! :D I'm not getting into this fray. Can both of you just chill?

:D Lately this place really sucks. Mindless posts, no one answers a post after asking for help and getting good replies, another posing himself as "King of the Huddle", and now 2 very respected Vets going at it.

ENOUGH!!!!!

I'm too old to find another hobby! :D

It's a shame that some of the older people on the board stoop to mindless stereotyping, especially when the lessons of history get ignored: France was filled with bad asses until WW1, at which point they lost such a large percentage of their male population (upwards of 40%) that they, as a people, simply lost the will to fight.

That's something we do not understand, comprehend and quite frankly hope no other country ever goes through again.

Historically, without France the American Revolution was quite iffy, as was our ability to wage the War of 1812.

Was self righteous said while looking in a mirror? :D