[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm going to Maryland for 3 months

Swiss Cheezhead

As much as it pains me, I'm leaving the dead-grass hills and manure-fumed skies of Nebraska (just kidding; it's not that bad) so I can spend three months in a training course at Fort Meade. When I get back, I'll no longer be an Air Force weather forecaster -- I'll be a member of the AF Public Affairs career field. :D

Anyway, apparently Fort Meade is roughly 20 minutes south of Baltimore and roughly 40 minutes north of D.C. I figured there might be a handful of "Tailgaters" who can tell me some cool places to go before I leave. I love to golf -- and I'd be down for meeting up with some fellow Huddlers for a round -- so any kickass golf courses would be great.

Any suggestions?

As much as it pains me, I'm leaving the dead-grass hills and manure-fumed skies of Nebraska (just kidding; it's not that bad) so I can spend three months in a training course at Fort Meade. When I get back, I'll no longer be an Air Force weather forecaster -- I'll be a member of the AF Public Affairs career field. :D

Anyway, apparently Fort Meade is roughly 20 minutes south of Baltimore and roughly 40 minutes north of D.C. I figured there might be a handful of "Tailgaters" who can tell me some cool places to go before I leave. I love to golf -- and I'd be down for meeting up with some fellow Huddlers for a round -- so any kickass golf courses would be great.

Any suggestions?

Dude I live like 15 minutes from Fort Meade. -rubs greedy hands together-

There is a lot to do here in Maryland. You are 20 minutes from Baltimore: inner harbor, the O's, down town, little Italy, the Baltimore aquarium, tons and tons of bars and clubs.

You will be 15 to 20 minutes from Annapolis: The Docks, West Street/church circle area are crawling with great places to eat and the best bars in the world (Ram's Head for 1.) plus fantastic upper scale restaurants right on the water, boat shows, Naval Academy.

You will be 30 minutes from D.C. - pretty much anything and everything you can think of plus the national mall with all the museums (nature history is a must to see and you need to do that when you come into town.) the gardens, Vietnam memorial wall, George Town (see the Exorcist stairs).

Plus you are 2 ½ hours at most from the eastern shore (drive over the Annapolis bay bridge): Ocean City, Bethany beach, the board walk. Chincoteague Island, Tangier Island, Onancock and Cape Charles are the tiny waterfront towns. Hopefully you take a couple of days to drive the eastern shore. I know I speak for Skins and T_bone65 if you want a true Chesapeake Bay experience, do that.

Also Maryland has so many civil war battle grounds and you are like an hour away from Gettysburg. They have a night time ghost hunt tour that is very sick. You can spend a whole day driving around the battle site, they have Civil War re-enactors that stage parts of the battle and that is very freaking cool to watch.

EDIT: Oh yea and you have to eat some crabs at Mike's on the South River. You sit out on this deck built on the river and eat crabs with multi-million dollar homes built into the hills that surround the river. Must eat crabs. We are famous for our crabs :D

Edited by cliaz

Thanks, cliaz! Maybe we can get together for a beer. :D

Anyone else got some tips?

I am in down in a DC suburb--Bethesda, right by the Naval Hospital and NIH--and will give you some DC stuff:

Smithsonian, obviously (Air and Space, Natural History, American History, to start). The Holocaust Museum. The various monuments are something every American should see. Georgetown is great for a Sunday brunch and walking with the family and so is Old Town Virginia just across the river.

There are lots of great restaurants, theaters, concerts, etc., the usual stuff cities offer. I am going to see Spamalot tonight. If you want specifics when yer here just give a shout and me, cliaz, t bone and others will be happy to give tips. I think a weekend day trip to Annapolis is always a lot of fun, especially if there is a boat show.

Edited by skins

Bring a handgun. They wont let you into Baltimore without one. And I would recommend the herioine in Baltimore. They are world famous for it. That, and drive-by shootings.

We're looking to hit the MD Renaissance fair sometime around October Fest.

It's over by the middle of October. The middle of Sept is the best time to go to it. Still warm. That place is only 15 minutes from me as well and well worth the money to get in. Just watch out for the fish lady and it cost $20 to get wenched!

I bring my own.

Lets take this by the horns, Clias, as it gets closer.

I would love to see this work out.

You let me know when you all are coming down and i'll be more than happy to meet up with you all there. This is an all day deal and it's pretty freaking big too so bring your walking shoes, your drinking liver and make sure to pack an extra tummy because there is more food here than you can shake a midget at.

I'm in. Sounds like a great time. :D

You gonna be here the last week in August? It runs from last week in August to the middle of October. And if you are gonna be here that late and need a league to join we may have an opening in our local.

We get food from Red, Hot and Blue. Lots of beer. And some Maryland Blue Crabs.

Bring a handgun. They wont let you into Baltimore without one. And I would recommend the herioine in Baltimore. They are world famous for it. That, and drive-by shootings.

This is only required if you are planning on spending time in the West End slums, where Spain's ho honeys hang out.

Otherwise, you are good to follow Cliaz's advice. The first ESPNZone is in Baltimore. Rusty Scupper (seafood rest.) has a nice view of the harbor. DeGroens has a nice little restaurant, but they make their own beer, and it's nummy. You HAVE to see the O's play if you're here while they're in town (just started a 10 game road trip). Check out the stadium and get a pit beef from Boog Powell.

If you're still here when Ravens training camp opens and plan on going, let me know. I'm about 20 minutes away. All the Ravens top draft picks, their good players and anyone from the Titans ( :D Spain) worth a crap will be there.

Edited by Big Red

Yeah if you are in Baltimore and you ended up on "Franklin Street", turn around. No good. I got lost down that end and when I pulled up to a light some 10 year old said "Look, white people."

No good.

You gonna be here the last week in August? It runs from last week in August to the middle of October. And if you are gonna be here that late and need a league to join we may have an opening in our local.

We get food from Red, Hot and Blue. Lots of beer. And some Maryland Blue Crabs.

Hell yeah. I'll be there from July 5th through October 11th, so go ahead and mark your calendar. :D

Otherwise, you are good to follow Cliaz's advice. The first ESPNZone is in Baltimore. Rusty Scupper (seafood rest.) has a nice view of the harbor. DeGroens has a nice little restaurant, but they make their own beer, and it's nummy. You HAVE to see the O's play if you're here while they're in town (just started a 10 game road trip). Check out the stadium and get a pit beef from Boog Powell.

Excellent info, Big Red. :D

If you're still here when Ravens training camp opens and plan on going, let me know. I'm about 20 minutes away. All the Ravens top draft picks, their good players and anyone from the Titans ( :D Spain) worth a crap will be there.

:D Man...I'd LOVE to go to Ravens TC. PM me with your info and I'll give you a call later this month; you can give me more details and we'll make it happen. That would be sweet. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Swiss - I am way up the road in Pittsburgh PA, but once the summer starts to come to an end I may be able to hook up with you for a round of golf. Or, Beachbum and I may hook up on or about August 14. If you don't mind a little drive time and can get that day off maybe we can get the three of us out together.