[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle's Perfect Scoring system

MikesVikes

I would like to see a league that uses the Huddle's Perfect Scoring System. It can be described here. I believe it is one of the scoring options that MFL has a default for so you can just choose it as a scoring option.

I would like to see a league that uses that for their scoring in 2005. I'm doing an analysis of player performance in leagues with different scoring rules. So far I have used the IBL, my local TD only (but with bonus points) league, and the WCOFF. I'm comparing the top 60 players in each league.

What began as a tool to use to change my local scoring has developed into an interesting thing that I'd like to see. I've noticed that with the WCOFF scoring, many higher scoring teams didn't do so well in the W-L column but with the PPR, more receivers moved into the top 60. That would be great if you could start 3 receivers instead of 2, for example.

You can pm me your MFL league site if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks.

Edited by MikesVikes

Found it. According to the perfect system, 7 of the top 17 performing players would be TE's last year. Shaun Alexander with his scorching pace would be #4 in the scoring, behind two TE Gates and Heap and QB Palmer.

Obviously, with more TE options now, the system would probably have to be tweaked a bit. DMD put this out in 2003, yeah?

Edited by darin3

TE's get 2 PPR and WR's get 1 PPR.

TE's get .20 pts /Yd and WR's get .10 pts/Yd. That's a hugh advantage.

With RB's getting no PPR they go backwards, while the TE's advance quite a bit.

I'm also thinking that negative points in any way, such as Ints or fumbles or Defensive yards/Pts allowed is something that I'd like to avoid in leagues as well.

Obviously, with more TE options now, the system would probably have to be tweaked a bit. DMD put this out in 2003, yeah?

I thought it was last year, because it seems like it wasn't too long ago. Whatever the scoring, RBs will have to match up against your opponent's RBs as will every other position. So it doesn't matter which player on your team is giving you the points. My basic league has 24 kickers and 17 defenses in the top 60 scoring. That's way too much. The perfect Huddle scoring wouldn't have any of either PK or Defs. Defensive scoring is very minimal in the Huddle scoring with only seven teams earning more than zero points for last year. But it would all still be relative no matter what.

I'm not saying that The Huddle scoring is bad. It could be an advantage in flex positions. The TE position would now be a worthy option instead of an additional WR or even RB.

Edited by MikesVikes

We use it in the "Any Given Sunday" BOTH league. I like it, especially how the defensive scoring works, but after year one, we cut back on the TE scoring. It was a bit too skewed to TE's. We cut the PPR down to one, but kept the double yardage scoring.

The idea behind this system is to make virtually any position a viable first round pick. RB's still rule the day, but this system enables several other drafting strategies to work as well. We can also start two TE's.... as part of the flex spot.

I came out with that in 2003 when the previous season only had Heap and Gonzo as significant TE's. There were only 4TE's with at least 650 passing yards that year (like all the years before) and in 2005 there were 8 of them.

Here is the difference between 2002 season (from which I developed the system) and the 2005 season results for the combined totals of the Top 5 players:

2002: 320 catches, 3631 Yds, 25 TD

2005: 365 catches, 4498 Yds, 36 TD

That's a 25% jump in yardage and a 45% jump in TD's for them. That was unforeseen and a historic high.

I would count TE receptions as just one point as someone pointed out.

6pts for ALL touchdowns

-3pts for INTs

0.05pts / passing yards

0.1pt / yard, rushing or receiving

0.2pts / rushing attempt

0.2pts / reception for RBs

1.5pts / reception for WRs

2.0pts / reception for TEs

...this generated 7 QBs, 8 RBs, 9 WRs and 1 TE in the top 25 last year...

I have been using in our auction league since 2003. LOVE IT!! We have tweaked it slightly due to the huge TE scoring. Only 1 point per reception for TE's. We also added 1 point per RB reception and we tweaked the defense so they score a few more points.

Our top 25 included

13 QB's Palmer (1), Brady (4), P. Manning(8),E. Manning (9), Bledsoe, Brees, Hasselbeck, Delhomme, Favre, Green, Brunell, Plummer, Collins.

6 RB's Alexander (2) , Tomlinson (3), LJ (6), Barber (7), James, Jordan

5 WR's S Smith (10) Fitz, Chad, Boldin, Holt.

1 TE Gates (5)

QB's score lots of points but you do not need a top one to win. I had Bulger (who had a big year until being hurt and picked up Green as a FA for the stretch run)

Tiki, Jordan, Larry and Gates carried me to the championship!

Again with any scoring system you need to know it inside and out!!!!

Mike,

Using it now for the 4th year in my home 12 man league with the obligitory tweaks. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the actual scoring system as well as any of the stats you might want (up to the last 3 years).

J