[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fire Crackers

nuke'em ttg

my dad used to make a norweigen cannon. :D

he'd tape 5 beer cans end to end..... the old tin cans, not aluminum. cut out both ends of the top 4... then leave the bottom one in tact. you drill a small hole in the very bottom & pump that thing full of lighter fluid then get the air pump & give it some oxygen. stuff a tennis ball all the way down to the top of thre bottom can......then give'er some fire. :D

that freak'in tennis ball would travel 2 to 3 city blocks. :D

as time went on dad ( the biologist) would try to improve it... usually by using a more flammable liquid. one year he brought home a 1/4 cup of ether from the lab @ the school he taught at :D ..... the whole cannon exploded. :D

Hmmm... off the top of my head - frogs, crawdads, horny toads, bottles, cans, wasps nests, dragon flies, cattails (the plant), dirt clods, toy airplanes in flight, model cars, mud, tree bark on the tree, loose wood on the dock, ant piles and our own fingers a bit.

Did you resume doing that?

I now pay people to eradicate ants from the face of the earth.

I do sort of miss spreading salt peter and sugar all around an ant pile and when they all start to swarm on the sugar, lighting it and laughing maniacally pretty hard.

We used to blow up things using 2 liter pop bottles. We'd put strips of aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner (only one brand works well) into the bottle and close it up quickly. They reaction was fast and explosive. Good times.

I don't remember blowing up anything specific (other than beer/pop cans). But when I was a kid growing up in the 60's, we had M-80's that were the equivalent of a 1/4 stick of dynamite. :D When they went off, you couldn't hear diddly squat for about 15 minutes. Ahhhh the memories...

I don't remember blowing up anything specific (other than beer/pop cans). But when I was a kid growing up in the 60's, we had M-80's that were the equivalent of a 1/4 stick of dynamite. :D When they went off, you couldn't hear diddly squat for about 15 minutes. Ahhhh the memories...

always had the story goin around the neighborhood about the kid that had his hand blown off by an M-80... :D ..no doubt parental propaganda....... :D

my dad used to make a norweigen cannon. :D

he'd tape 5 beer cans end to end..... the old tin cans, not aluminum. cut out both ends of the top 4... then leave the bottom one in tact. you drill a small hole in the very bottom & pump that thing full of lighter fluid then get the air pump & give it some oxygen. stuff a tennis ball all the way down to the top of thre bottom can......then give'er some fire. :D

that freak'in tennis ball would travel 2 to 3 city blocks. :D

as time went on dad ( the biologist) would try to improve it... usually by using a more flammable liquid. one year he brought home a 1/4 cup of ether from the lab @ the school he taught at :D ..... the whole cannon exploded. :D

Polish Cannon in our neighborhood........ :D

We used to blow up things using 2 liter pop bottles. We'd put strips of aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner (only one brand works well) into the bottle and close it up quickly. They reaction was fast and explosive. Good times.

We would blow up mailbox's using 2 liter bottles. But we would use dry ice and water. This combo would give us a little more time to get away.. :D

My dad was a cop when I was growing up. One night he came home with a bag of firewroks that he confescated. This bag was full of M80s, block busters ,and im not sure if it was called this everywhere but pineapples which looked like a stick of dynamite. I blew up my whole neighborhood for 3 days.

Edited by whomper

M80s were the best. You could take out anything with those babies.

As a kid I would slip into Chinatown (SF) and buy bricks of firecrackers for 10 bucks and then break them apart and sell the individual packets. Made 10 bucks per brick (big money in the 60s).

One year I made so much that I decided to lite off a brick in the middle of the street, at 7 AM. Man I couldn't show my face in public for a week.... Woke up the whole frickin neigborhood :D

We were little bastards as kids. We'd go after peoples' lamp posts, the ones by a walkway, not right on the house. We practiced the taping job on my mom and dad's. It took 2 of us to do this so the coast better be clear. Just tape an M80 on either side of the glass section and each light the fuse in sinc. We'd haul ass to find the nearest bush or whatever to hide behind. What was funny was the people's first reaction is to turn their lamps on to see what's going on. We later found a way to remove the powder from the fuses so it would give us plenty of time to find a place to watch the show. :D What a bunch of pr*cks we were.

Happy 4th everyone! :D

Besides plastic model battleships (first doused w/ lighter fluid), the best trick I did (and somehow kept doing) was finding a curbside dog droping and placing a firecracker in it. Sometimes twisting the fuse tightly to delay the fuse would help in the timing. I'd call my little brother over to "see what I found" and at the appropriate time, step away and let him get sprayed with the organic shrapnel. Worked many times with different effects based on the consistancy and/or freshness of the doggy-doo.

.............. making it a polish cannon

We were pretty much like DMD as kids - we blew up everything. :D Lots of toys. Fish were popular. Duct taping an M-80 to a cat's tail was good wholesome fun. :D Mail boxes, bird houses, mud, cow pies - all good cheap fun. :D

used to do all sorts of cool sh|t, but one thing that was memorable was taking filling an empty tuna can half full of gasoline and then putting an old golf-ball inside the can and lighting it on fire. The golf-ball was one of those old ones that was still wound with basically a very long rubberband inside the cover. When the cover melted and split, the ball shot up about 30 feet in the air, unwinding and spraying burning gas all over the place. Very nice.

Not as fun was when my brother and I poured gasoline onto a Nerf football and then lit it in fire. This would have been fun, but my brother decided to kick the ball and it hit me in the leg and it hit me in the leg and part of the burning ball stuck on my leg. I still have a scar.

Also fun was taking a large cardboard tube about 10" in diameter and about 3 feet high and attaching 6 of the extra-large rocket engines onto it to build a giant-ass rocket. In order to ignite all of the engines at once, I connected the engines together and then hooked them up to an electrical extension cord. I then made my brother go plug it in. The tube went off with an incredibly loud WHOOSH and traveled about 100' in the air before it came crashing down on our roof where it smouldered until I could climb up there and put it out. Our neighbor was a volunteer fireman and he came running outside to see what the hell was going on. I think he half was impressed with what we had done and half wanted to beat some sense into of us.

always had the story goin around the neighborhood about the kid that had his hand blown off by an M-80... :D ..no doubt parental propaganda....... :D

I remember the local tv news doing a segment on illegal fireworks and they showed an M-80 equivilent that first appeared to be a dud, but then went off 3 minutes after the fuse was first lit. What stuck in my head was the comment that my dad made about that segment "I hope to God that no kid has put one of those into his pocket thinking that it was a dud." :D