[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I want a tattoo....

Goopster24

Well non business world mine are very visable. Both shoulders, both bicepts, Forearm and chest..Chest one isnt really visable but in the summer the others are clear as day. Its just a look I am comfortable with which is what really matters. I was in bands for many years and that is the crowd I hung out with. You need to be very sure you are going to want this on your body for the rest of your life. Im sure when certain people see it they dont like it but Im ok with that. I have a lot though. I will be looked at differently then a person that just has one. I wouldnt worry about that if I were you as long as you make the decision that you are sure you want to do it. Im pretty much done but I think I might get one more down in Atlantic city from Nsabs wife when I meet him at some point this summer. I keep harping on really being sure of the tattoo you are going to get because if you get one you dont like you obviously will regret it.

Yeah, I feel as though this is a tattoo I really wouldn't regret. And I'm like 99.9% this will be my only tattoo. I still have to figure out the exact design of it and then I will go from there. I plan to stop by a tattoo place downtown and get some more info and then make a final decision. I haven't really decided anything yet, just gathering as much info as I can.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, here's my take for what it's worth- my brother- NSab on these boards as most know has a boat load of tattoos all over- arms, legs, chest, whatever-

he is 12 years older than me and I always thought he was crazy for getting all inked up,etc. I guess you could calssify me as a "preppy/jock" sort in high school while he was the "biker" dude- I never understood or appreciated the meaning or significance of a tattoo when I was younger but was never really opposed to it, just wasn't for me you follow?

As I got older there were always the jokes from NSab and the rest of my family (my sister, Dad, and even Mom have ink) about when I would get a tattoo and I always said I'd never get one just to get one, until it had real meaning to me- like when I had kids for example,

So long story short I got my first one two summers ago- a rose, heart with my 2 daughters names and my wife's name on my upper arm, and NSab's wife hit me up with my second (which is still unfinished :D ) on my other arm for my 3rd daughter.

I did this because I wanted to express my appreciatation for the family that I now had- I wanted everyone to know that I was proud to wear those names on myself- a living tribute if you will which is what it sounds like you are after.

So go for it my man, paying tribute to your Dad is admirable and cool IMO, getting a stupid sunshine or something on your ankle when you are drunk is just stupid. Unfortunatley you should think about public perception and get it in a place that you can cover up- a hand is not a great idea. Right or wrong perception is reality and the general corporate public world isn't going look favorably on a neck/hand tattoo.

Also, it doesn't hurt all that bad- it's not excatly enjoyable, but nothing you can't deal with- and there is no "recovery time" issue at all- you put some ointment on it- cover it up for a few days and go about your business.

Good luck my man and let us know how it turns out.....

Thanks a lot man for the great advice and info. I definitely feel like I relate to you and your thinking of tattoos. I will definitely let everyone know what my plan is. The big question I'm still having trouble with is where....

Any more suggestions on that?

Get L-O-V-E on your right knuckles and H-A-T-E on your left knuckles. I'm looking for a tribute band and that would make me want to hire you. If you can't afford both get OZZY tattoed on your forehead.

Just kidding....I have a few tattos but I'd never get one in the farmer tan area...career suicide.

Get L-O-V-E on your right knuckles and H-A-T-E on your left knuckles. I'm looking for a tribute band and that would make me want to hire you. If you can't afford both get OZZY tattoed on your forehead.

Just kidding....I have a few tattos but I'd never get one in the farmer tan area...career suicide.

Since you drag yer knuckles how did your Tats hold up?

Jason Williams has WHITE tattooed on his right knuckles and BOY tattooed on his left knuckles.

If I was to do that area, it would be right above the area where the farmer tan is usually. Basically, if I was to wear low cut socks, it would be right above it.

Edited by Goopster24

My advice, corny as it may be is this...

You do not need a symbol to honor your Dad. Every day that you hold yourself to his standards in a way that would make him proud honors him beyond anything you could ever do to your body.

I just came back from visiting my father, he turned 63 yesterday...I am grateful to have the chance to still know him and have him get to know my four kids.

Be proud to be your fathers son, and hold your head up and go make him proud. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Finally, what do you think your father would say...

Good luck

Hardrocker

Read that carefully! Good info!

I'm neither pro nor anti tattoo! I wanted one at 18 and my dad said fine...........where you gonna live after you get one? RR juniorette got one on her hip several years ago (if any of you comment on that I'll pop you in the grill! :D ). Frankly it looks stoopid....a blue green sploch on her hip that looks like a birth mark more than a tattoo!

Consider this thing carefully! Consider these points:

1) It hurts a lot more and costs a lot more to take it off than to put it on!

2) Would your dad want you to do this?

3) Go to the cleanest, most sanitary place IF you decide to do it!

4) Don't do it! (A Dad talkin' here)

If you are religious, and I'm not sure what religion, a candle burned, a prayer said, a moment of remembrance of your Dad daily would probably mean more to him than the tattoo! JMHO! :D

Read that carefully! Good info!

If you are religious, and I'm not sure what religion, a candle burned, a prayer said, a moment of remembrance of your Dad daily would probably mean more to him than the tattoo! JMHO! :D

:D Hindu

I would like to share some info with you that you might appreciate. First what most have said about honoring your father is good advice. You do not need a tatoo for that. Second, I want to share with you a scripture from the Bible since you said you are religious. I am not trying to preach or force my opinion on you but I mention it becauce I think you care what the Bible says or you would not have mentioned that you were religious. At Leviticus 19:28 it says " ... and you must not put a tatoo marking on yourself, I am God." Again, I hope this is helpful.

I would like to share some info with you that you might appreciate. First what most have said about honoring your father is good advice. You do not need a tatoo for that. Second, I want to share with you a scripture from the Bible since you said you are religious. I am not trying to preach or force my opinion on you but I mention it becauce I think you care what the Bible says or you would not have mentioned that you were religious. At Leviticus 19:28 it says " ... and you must not put a tatoo marking on yourself, I am God." Again, I hope this is helpful.

True but Nsabicles 20:06 says..Get ink . I demand you.

I appreciate all the advice so far. I have been going back and forth on the idea of getting a tattoo for some time. I guess the consensus is that the tattoo on the top of the hand is a bad idea. And if I was to get one, I would definitely get it at the end of the summer, right before I leave for school.

I appreciate the kind posts about not getting a tattoo because it is not necessary to pay tribute in that way. I have thought about that as well. Question to those who think that: are you guys just against tattoos or think it would really hurt me in the future if it comes to a job possibly, even it is is covered or something? I am not pro tattoos or anything, I'm just looking to see both sides of the argument. Thanks again.

I went thru the same thing with getting a tatoo. For years I wanted one, just to get one but I never could figure out what I wanted. Then when I finally decided my older Brother shows up with one of his own. :D That held it off the decision for quite a while, then it was marriage, then it was kids. Now I'm to the point where I would still like one, but it's not all that important to me. Which, I guess, is a good reason for not getting one. Maybe at some point in the future I will do it, but at 34 it would feel a little irresponsible getting it done.

JFYI what I'd get is a Fleur Dis Lis on one shoulder for my French heritage & in memory of my Grandfather and another symbol on my other shoulder for my German heritage (I recently found out my family came over from Alsace so likely a stork).

As I got older there were always the jokes from NSab and the rest of my family (my sister, Dad, and even Mom have ink) about when I would get a tattoo and I always said I'd never get one just to get one, until it had real meaning to me- like when I had kids for example,

So long story short I got my first one two summers ago- a rose, heart with my 2 daughters names and my wife's name on my upper arm, and NSab's wife hit me up with my second (which is still unfinished :D ) on my other arm for my 3rd daughter.

I did this because I wanted to express my appreciatation for the family that I now had- I wanted everyone to know that I was proud to wear those names on myself- a living tribute if you will which is what it sounds like you are after.

So go for it my man, paying tribute to your Dad is admirable and cool IMO, getting a stupid sunshine or something on your ankle when you are drunk is just stupid. Unfortunatley you should think about public perception and get it in a place that you can cover up- a hand is not a great idea. Right or wrong perception is reality and the general corporate public world isn't going look favorably on a neck/hand tattoo.

Also, it doesn't hurt all that bad- it's not excatly enjoyable, but nothing you can't deal with- and there is no "recovery time" issue at all- you put some ointment on it- cover it up for a few days and go about your business.

Good luck my man and let us know how it turns out.....

Probably the best bit of advice you'll get. If you do get one make sure it does have some personal meaning to you. Tattoos that have no meaning are just gay, period.

I'm still deciding obviously whether I want one or not still but the big question is where to get it now....

I'd have to agree with the others. I've always thought the ankle/lower leg tattoo was kinda girlie. On a guy it looks better on the middle back or shoulder.

I have one large Tat on my upper back which is only slightly visible just above my shirt. I also agree that visible tats do leave an impression which may not be a positive one in the professional world. My current tat is symbolic to me but would mean nothing to anyone else so I see know reason to expose it.

Now tomorrow at 1pm I will be lying under the needle for #2. Also symbolic and it will be much larger than the first. Basically it will cover the rest of my lower back . When I have it completed I will put a pic out for all to see. Lets just say its hurricane related to say the least. The artist doing this particular tat seems to think it will be magazine material. We shall see?

I have one large Tat on my upper back which is only slightly visible just above my shirt. I also agree that visible tats do leave an impression which may not be a positive one in the professional world. My current tat is symbolic to me but would mean nothing to anyone else so I see know reason to expose it.

Now tomorrow at 1pm I will be lying under the needle for #2. Also symbolic and it will be much larger than the first. Basically it will cover the rest of my lower back . When I have it completed I will put a pic out for all to see. Lets just say its hurricane related to say the least. The artist doing this particular tat seems to think it will be magazine material. We shall see?

Can't wait to check that out. Not that I'd wanna see your naked back :D but I think that's awesome you're getting a tat to symbolize the storm.

On a related note...it's been nearly a year since the storm and yesterday my Stepmom put in a DVD she bought about pre & post Katrina Biloxi... I still had a hard time watching it, even now getting choked up thinking about it. The final straw was a recorded 911 call from a guy who lives in my old neighborhood. The guy grew up with the operator who answered the call. He and his mother were stuck in their attic with no way out & the water was up to their chests. He was crying to her that they were going to die. He said he knew she couldn't do anything for him, but he just wanted to let someone know what happened to them. Thankfully the water receeded before it was too late & they made it afterall, but there were so many that didn't. I'd like to watch it sometime, but not while hanging out with my kids & family so I ended up just leaving the room.. My little one was great help with that as she just figured out only a few minutes before the DVD started that she no longer needed to hold anyone's hand to walk anymore. The joy of life & love will always outweigh the heartache of loss.

Anyway...sorry to hijack...

Edited by rajncajn

I'd have to agree with the others. I've always thought the ankle/lower leg tattoo was kinda girlie. On a guy it looks better on the middle back or shoulder.

Where exactly on the shoulder were you or others thinking?

I've been debating for years now. I pretty much decided on the outside of my left leg, mid-way between foot and knee. I'm in the corporate world, but wear short sleeves 90% of the time. If I were to get one on my upper body, it'd be the upper arm/shoulder, where it might be exposed with what I wear. I wouldn't want that. I wear shorts a lot, so it would certainly get "exposure" and I'd be able to see it.

I have also debated on content. I've always been partial to the "flaming sun" type of icon... but I've wondered if I should make the interior of the sun solid or use another icon - either the Cancer sign ... perhaps the Cubs' "C" ... perhaps the initials of my friend who died in a car accident that I was involved in ...

Whatever you do, make sure you're 100% about content and placement.

I've been debating for years now. I pretty much decided on the outside of my left leg, mid-way between foot and knee. I'm in the corporate world, but wear short sleeves 90% of the time. If I were to get one on my upper body, it'd be the upper arm/shoulder, where it might be exposed with what I wear. I wouldn't want that. I wear shorts a lot, so it would certainly get "exposure" and I'd be able to see it.

I have also debated on content. I've always been partial to the "flaming sun" type of icon... but I've wondered if I should make the interior of the sun solid or use another icon - either the Cancer sign ... perhaps the Cubs' "C" ... perhaps the initials of my friend who died in a car accident that I was involved in ...

Whatever you do, make sure you're 100% about content and placement.

Thanks for the advice man. I know the content for the most part. Placement is still the thing that is keeping my mind occupied. I feel the deltoid area is too high; if I was to get it on my arm, I feel like in the middle between by elbow and my deltoid, the bicep area would be nice. Then the question comes which arm? A chest one is still somewhat appealing. The back is still something I'm not totally sure about. I think it's all bout out the window; I want to be able to see it too for the most part.

Thanks for the advice man. I know the content for the most part. Placement is still the thing that is keeping my mind occupied. I feel the deltoid area is too high; if I was to get it on my arm, I feel like in the middle between by elbow and my deltoid, the bicep area would be nice. Then the question comes which arm? A chest one is still somewhat appealing. The back is still something I'm not totally sure about. I think it's all bout out the window; I want to be able to see it too for the most part.

Just curious, what makes you say upper arm is too high? It would be close to the same height as a chest or upper back.