[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When drafting in a 10 man non keeper league..........

Hi guys, it looks like Fantasy football is heating up again and after getting my 5th magazine I'm getting a little excited. Like my post says: "When drafting in a 10 man non keeper league is it better to go RB, RB, WR or RB. WR, RB?? My firt 2 years in this league I went RB, RB WR and that second Rb killed me(William Green, year of 03 & Kevin Jones, last year.) This also makes me weak at WR sometimes picking my #1 in the third round. So what do you guys like to do? :D

First stop buying the Fantasy football mags, It depends on what draft positon you draw, and what is drafted before you, a guy in my league went WR, WR, and took second place, you never know

Edited by mamaboy

It is a bad idea to go with a predetermined plan, as the draft may make a common unexpected turn and you pick a lesser player in the position because his position is up.

:D What he and mamaboy said. in a 10-team league the talent obviously stretches farther and you could end up with Portis-CJ-Parker from rounds 1-3 if you want.

:D What he and mamaboy said. in a 10-team league the talent obviously stretches farther and you could end up with Portis-CJ-Parker from rounds 1-3 if you want.

I drafted 9th in a 10 man keeper league this morning and I thought i ended up pretty good overall.

thats how I went but I had close picks so it would depend on your pick #

1.9 Steven Jackson

2.2 Carnell Williams

3.9 Anquan Boldin

4.2 Chris Chambers

5.9 Jeremy Shockey

6.2 Dieon Branch

7.9 Reggie Bush

8.2 Roy Williams

9.9 Phillip Rivers

10.2 Cedric Benson

11.9 Deangalo Williams

12.2 Mark Clayton

13.9 Matt Leinart

14.2 Jeff Wilkins

15.9 New England Def

No offense meant but 10-man non-keeper leagues are pretty hard to screw up --- every team usually looks great and then it comes down to luck; It is real easy to go RB-WR-RB and get a fantastic team on a ten-man --- but again don't be beholden to any particular sequence...

It is a bad idea to go with a predetermined plan, as the draft may make a common unexpected turn and you pick a lesser player in the position because his position is up.

Example...

Im in a 16 team redraft...I planned on going WR WR with my 1st 2 picks assuming I could get 2 of the likes of Smith, Owens, Moss, Fitz, etc...

Caddy, SOMEHOW, fell in my lap at 14.

Needless to say, I went RB WR.

Example...

Im in a 16 team redraft...I planned on going WR WR with my 1st 2 picks assuming I could get 2 of the likes of Smith, Owens, Moss, Fitz, etc...

Caddy, SOMEHOW, fell in my lap at 14.

Needless to say, I went RB WR.

Keep me in mind for that league next year --- I like your competition...

This year seems like there are going to be a lot of sharing in the backfield, unless pre-season shakes things out a little clearer for us FFers. I have done about a dozen mocks to date and also am picking 10th in my 10 team league. I have always gone into the draft with that RB-RB mentality in the past and it usually gives you an edge with those 2 "Studs". I did a little research on WR's this year and did some mocks taking a Stud RB and following that up with a Stud WR and it worked out pretty good. I recommend everyone participate in as many mocks as possible and draft in the position that you will draft in your own league. Interesting the difference between the #1 WR and the #12 WR in a standard performance scoring league is a whopping 5 pts per game, that is hugh!!! I plan on getting BA RB at pick 1:10 and Smith, CJ or TO at 2:01. That strategy will invaribly start the "Run" on WR's and you can still get a decent #2 RB at 3:10 and possibly Gates or Shockey at 4:01. Now you have a Top 10 RB, a Top 3 WR and also should snag one of the Top 2 Tightends as well as a good RB#2 like K.Jones, FWP or Deshaun Foster (As long as you spend a pick in the next couple to handcuff him with the rookie DeAngelo) Try the mockdrafts and you'll see how this approach unfolds and does'nt look as bad as it sounds. :D

This year seems like there are going to be a lot of sharing in the backfield, unless pre-season shakes things out a little clearer for us FFers. I have done about a dozen mocks to date and also am picking 10th in my 10 team league. I have always gone into the draft with that RB-RB mentality in the past and it usually gives you an edge with those 2 "Studs". I did a little research on WR's this year and did some mocks taking a Stud RB and following that up with a Stud WR and it worked out pretty good. I recommend everyone participate in as many mocks as possible and draft in the position that you will draft in your own league. Interesting the difference between the #1 WR and the #12 WR in a standard performance scoring league is a whopping 5 pts per game, that is hugh!!! I plan on getting BA RB at pick 1:10 and Smith, CJ or TO at 2:01. That strategy will invaribly start the "Run" on WR's and you can still get a decent #2 RB at 3:10 and possibly Gates or Shockey at 4:01. Now you have a Top 10 RB, a Top 3 WR and also should snag one of the Top 2 Tightends as well as a good RB#2 like K.Jones, FWP or Deshaun Foster (As long as you spend a pick in the next couple to handcuff him with the rookie DeAngelo) Try the mockdrafts and you'll see how this approach unfolds and does'nt look as bad as it sounds. :D

Ghengis...I also draft in the 10 slot in a 10 man...and I'm toying w/ drafting P.Manning (my league awards 6 for rushing and passing TDs...so there is now QB discount on passing TDs)...are you tempted by Manning at the 2.01??? Have you tried it?

Our league only awards 4 pts for TD passes. I usually wait till 5th or 6th to draft QB and sometimes even longer. I always log in the other 9 teams draft picks by position only on a homemade cheatsheet, 2 years ago I was able to draft T.Green in the 9th round because all other owners had their starters. I loaded up on RB's and Tier2 WR's because there was an early run on QB's. Under your league scoring rules, I might be tempted but there is still not as big of a performance gap between QB's as there are Tier 1 and 2 WR's. I have done several VBD (Value Based Draft) leagues or "X" assigned number system where they actually put a number values based #1 QB vs #10 (10 Team League) or #1 RB vs #20 (2 Starters/10 Team League), if you crunch the numbers you'll be surprised how little value you actually have. Now they are exceptions ie: Manning in 2004, how often does that happen?

if you look at the mock draft evaluations for a ten team league, getting difference makers seems to be the way to go. that means getting top tier players in different positions. being at the start of a run rather than the end, obviously. so if you draft at the end of the 1st round you should IMO go RB, WR, unless people fall to you unexpectedly. get one or two difference makers and they can your team 3 or 4 weeks to victory rather than struggling every week to score. i have never had an issue with depth in a ten team league.

i say go for playmakers even if it is a little earlier than traditionalists would draft them. look at the last 10 team mock draft and there were around 7 receivers taken in the second round alone. when the draft comes back to you in the third what are you going to be picking from? the leftovers, just like you did at runningback in the 1st.

Heres my suggestition (assuming the opponents are rational beings and do not make retarded picks, and assuming Peyton gets taken by the one irrational being in the first round). Also assuming no one drops, which they always do. Take these with a grain of salt.

Draft Spots, 10 Man League

Spots 1-3:

RB/WR/RB/WR

Spots 4-5:

RB/RB/WR/WR

6-8:

RB/WR/WR/RB

9-10:

WR (Steve smith/TO)/ RB/RB/ WR

Thats what I come in hoping to do, but it usually changes.

I've always found it easy to grab value in the second level WRs...there is usually a sleeper to be had...I am thinking RB in 1 and WR in 2, take a 2nd RB at the 3 spot and then, if a valuable player has dropped take a Gonzalez/Shockey or Brady at the 4 spot...then you have difference maker at 2 positions (WR and QB/TE) and can maybe grab some under-rated, high upside WRs in the 5-6 turn...

Is the 3-4 turn too early for Brady and/or the TEs? I am assuming Gates is gone...but he has fallen to this turn in some mocks I've seen...

So from the 10 assuming Manning does not fall to tempt me at the 1-2 turn

RB (Rudi or Westbrook), WR (Johnson or Smith or Owens), RB (Droughns or C.Taylor), Diff.Maker (Brady, Gonzalez or Shockey)...

In a ten teamer, the 10-11 turn is WAY too early for Manning. He does not separate himself enough form the QBs that can be had in the 5th and later to warrant taking him and losing out on a much better RB2 or WR1 with the second of those picks.

6 pt TDs do very little to help QBs overall value, but that subject has been brought up and beaten to death many times this year already.

In a ten teamer, the 10-11 turn is WAY too early for Manning. He does not separate himself enough form the QBs that can be had in the 5th and later to warrant taking him and losing out on a much better RB2 or WR1 with the second of those picks.

6 pt TDs do very little to help QBs overall value, but that subject has been brought up and beaten to death many times this year already.

I've been in a 10 Team League for 12 years with a good number of original members and it never fails there is always 1 or 2 owners who jump all over the QB's. Manning in the 1st Round , Brady in the 2nd Round etc.....usually a couple of more owners will "freak" and start the run on QB's in the 3rd round!!!! Believe me when I tell you this.....NONE of these guys have ever Won our League Championship !!!! Not even the guy that took Manning in the 1st round 2 years ago. Big Country and numerous otherFFL Veterans have given this advice out on numerous occasions... I personally have dominated my league with 7 League Superbowl appearances and 5 League Championships and have never taken my QB before the 5th round.... Nuff said..... :D