[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rule Change Advice

whitey

Hey guys-

My league is thinking about a rule change, and we seem to be having trouble making it work, so I come to thee, mighty Huddlers, looking for advice and examples.

We are a 12 team, salary cap, keeper league. Each owner gets to keep one player from his team each season, and that player's salary increases 10% each year. On draft day, we do 4 rounds of standard auction bidding, followed by a serpentine draft (order determined by previous year's finish) until all owners are out of money or have a full team.

The problem comes in here-people would like to make trades involving draft picks, but because of the auction, the "number one" pick is actually number 49 (4 rounds, 12 players per round). In other words, offering someone your "first pick" is worthless. Also, in trying to keep a bit of parity in the league, the number one pick is worthless because all the difference makers have already been taken up in the auction. This is evidenced by the fact that the same guy has had the number one pick the last 3 years, and he actually pays attention to his team.

So what we came up with was a one round rookie draft that would take place before our auction. The player with the worst record would get first crack at the rookie of his choice, with no bidding. The main issue, though, is how to determine what that rookie's salary would be. We thought of some kind of sliding scale, where the number one pick costs 15, number two costs 14, etc. The trouble is that sometimes, the number one rookie isn't going to be worth $15 when you only have $100 to start with. But you don't want to set the number too low either.

So I ask all you readers out there, what do you suggest? Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!!!!

eliminate the auction and then your draft picks will mean something. why make it so complex?

Agree, one or the other, but not both.

If still want to keep the same, keep the 1 round rookie draft from having a contract until after the 1st year. This allows the owner with the worst record to sign to contract after 1st year to see if his player is actually NFL start quality or a bust.

Sort of a 1 player taxi squad, so to speak.

I assume you are having the auction so everyone has a crack at the top players. However, if trading picks is what you are after eliminate the auction.

I agree with the others here. It sounds like you still have not fully defined what your intent is. To make trading worth it you will either need to trade aution dollars during the auction portion of your draft and trade picks during your serpentine draft portion. Or eleminate the auction portion all together which is the easiest way and maybe the best way to make trading mean something. Adding the Rookie draft portion seems to only be muddling up an already complicated system.

Trading picks is overated IMO. Guys willing to throw away the next season can bolster their lineup while others who spend time studying the waiver are at a big disadvantage (sure they can still win, but picking up a #1 RB/WR late in a season for a couple of high picks next year can be a huge swing). I did this one year and regretted it later.

Thanks for the replies guys. I get what you all are saying about eliminating the auction if we want draft picks to mean something, but that isn't what we are after. I guess what we want is for the draft pick to mean something, but maybe not everything. Or, perhaps like many others here, I'm starting to think that my league is really getting itchy for the season, and we are trying to come with ideas that foster discussion, which of course leads to insults and smack-talk, two of the mainstays of my league! We are still discussing, so if anyone has any thoughts (that don't include elimination of the auction) I am still listening! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the replies guys. I get what you all are saying about eliminating the auction if we want draft picks to mean something, but that isn't what we are after. I guess what we want is for the draft pick to mean something, but maybe not everything. Or, perhaps like many others here, I'm starting to think that my league is really getting itchy for the season, and we are trying to come with ideas that foster discussion, which of course leads to insults and smack-talk, two of the mainstays of my league! We are still discussing, so if anyone has any thoughts (that don't include elimination of the auction) I am still listening! Thanks again everyone!

I stand by my suggestion of not having a rookie draft but rather allowing owners to trade auction dollars as well as picks and players.