[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you remember ESPN when it started?

DMD

I was watching a show called "I love the 70's" and on it they had a thing about ESPN in 1978 when it started. I totally forgot what it was like back then. I remember in 1981 I would eat lunch at a nearby Chucky Cheese clone because they had a room with a big screen TV that played ESPN all day (they had another room that you could watch things called music videos too).

It was not ESPN SportCenter with up to the minute coverage of every major sport. It was more like watching kick boxing, curling, horseshoes and whatever else "sport" they could find film on. It was on 24 hours a day but no one I knew had it on cable yet. Man... they have come a long way. A LONG way.

:D

It was a very long time before i hadan opportunity to watch it. :D

Was that place called Showbiz Pizza?

You know, I believe it was. It was in Fair Oaks, California. I think they had mechanical bears singing in the big room and then the obligatory arcade games.

I don't ever recall them having news back then, at least not that I ever saw. It was just televised pool tournaments, lacrosse and whatever. Nothing was ever live. When me and some of the guys from work would try to decide where to eat, usually someone would say "let's go watch kickboxing again".

I was watching a show called "I love the 70's" and on it they had a thing about ESPN in 1978 when it started. I totally forgot what it was like back then. I remember in 1981 I would eat lunch at a nearby Chucky Cheese clone because they had a room with a big screen TV that played ESPN all day (they had another room that you could watch things called music videos too).

It was not ESPN SportCenter with up to the minute coverage of every major sport. It was more like watching kick boxing, curling, horseshoes and whatever else "sport" they could find film on. It was on 24 hours a day but no one I knew had it on cable yet. Man... they have come a long way. A LONG way.

:D

Yes, I used to have season tickets to the Whalers and sat right next to Berman, Patrick, Olberman, etc. when they were a bunch of nobodys

Too bad they were still nobodys when the Whalers folded and left town...

I do, the hideous brown and orange stage set-yes, they have come a very long way. ESPN introduced me to Austrailian Rules Football-the little refs or whatever would do that little-pointing thing when a team scored.

Awww yeah. We were lucky to have cable way back in the day... the kind of cable box with the push buttons. I was around kindergarten age, and I loved watching bowling and Australian rules football. :D I also loved playing Colecovision and Odyssey, but that's another story.

ESPN and Nickelodeon were near each other on the box. Good times.

Yes, I used to have season tickets to the Whalers and sat right next to Berman, Patrick, Olberman, etc. when they were a bunch of nobodys

Too bad they were still nobodys when the Whalers folded and left town...

You are my hero. I went to a ton of Whalers games (and in my younger boy scout days... practices!), but I never had season tickets. The closest I came was when my company had season tickets, and I would snag them whenever I came.

F Karmanos.

ESPN introduced me to Austrailian Rules Football-the little refs or whatever would do that little-pointing thing when a team scored.

I remember watching a lot of Aussie rules football.

Then, they started doing "Hot Tuesday Nights", with jetski, beach volleyball, windsurfing... all kinds of crazy beach sports, complete with bikini girls. The next summer it was "Hot Summer Nights", and they ran it almost every night of the week! :D

I still remember that "Hot Tuesday Nights" jingle too. Very catchy.

A buddy of mine had cable in 78. We used to make the gesture like the Aussie rules football refs in Jr High during gym class. They wore the cool panama jack hats! Whenever somone scored in anything we were playing we'd do the move. Funny then, but now...pretty dorky!

I seem to remember Bob Lee and Berman on the set too, but im not sure what year that was. Everything after 83' is a blur :D

Aussie Rules was on right after I'd get home from school (didn't have cable until about junior high). That's the only thing I really remember watching on ESPN until the NFL came on.

Everyone did the point gesture of the refs. Wasn't it Al Toon's (or someone like that) signature TD move? The two finger thing?