[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flashback

CarryTheRock

I'm watching something on MSNBC yesterday on the Snipers. They were showing an aerial view of one of the crime scenes at a gas station. Sign said $1.51 per gallon! Seems so long ago when gas was so low. Then I got to thinking, if prices were then what they are now (about double) would they have been able to drive as much and spread the terror out? Would they have been caught sooner confined to a smaller area? How would it have effected the paranoia if it were in one area? I seem to think that it was worse when people in the outside communities knew they could be coming at anytime.

I seem to think that it was worse when people in the outside communities knew they could be coming at anytime.

By that I mean the spread of the paranoia to outside communities...of course the paranoia was bad where it all began and for good reason.

By that I mean the spread of the paranoia to outside communities...of course the paranoia was bad where it all began and for good reason.

What you forget is that the outside communities were targeted as well. Manassas, VA is considered on the edge of surburbia although that is changing.

I would have to think to think that the price of gas would not have played a role in their decisions. The whole thing was a very twisted and sordid crime. Living in the area and having to "deal" with it at the time was surreal. My personal opinion is that it would have played out the same way. During the time of the shooting spree, there were so many reports of a white van being involved. So many in fact, that after one shooting the police stopped white vans all over the place. My question is that white vans are as common as white bread, is it possible that John Muhammad phoned in the reports to get the police off his trail? The man was very smart (in a criminal way) having gotten away from police in Washington state, Alabama and then the DC area.

I was hoping you would chime in being from the area Trip. Now that you mention it, they were in the "area" of course doing the shooting so they could have easily picked out some kind of vehicle to say was in the area and phone it in. Don't know if that tip came from a witness on the scene or phone though. The white boxtruck was there an hour before the shooting. Hard to tell, they cram a long time peiod into an hour show...

i can't imaging a terrorist/sniper saying, "boy, i'd really like to get out to the rural areas to do some more killing, but the price of gas is just so damn high these days ..."

If Ted Bundy had to pay $3.10 a gallon he may not have went to Colorado from Utah where they got his credit card bill for gas that hooked him to murders either. Chain of events....Think outside the XBOX a little. You don't "THINK" it, it goes with the natural flow of what is going on! Your lack of logic didn't keep you from posting but many would have thought...

i can't imaging a terrorist/sniper saying, "boy, i'd really like to get out to the rural areas to do some more killing, but the price of gas is just so damn high these days ..."

If John Wayne Gacy didn't have the gas money to get to Des Plains, there may have never been the "crawl space" where they found it. It would have likely still happened...just not where it did happen.

The Hillside Stranglers haunted my backyard in the late 70's in Southern Cal...by car...Maybe they would have been caught earlier if they had to do it by bike.

edit for spelling and logic

Edited by CarryTheRock

Dude, I live in North Austin. If I had to drive down town to shoot out of the bell tower where Whitman did, I would stay and do it where Sam Bass did.

My point is sometimes little things can make the difference. Not thinking "Oh, gas is too expensive, I think I will be an angel..."

If John Wayne Gacy didn't have the gas money to get to Des Plains, there may have never been the "crawl space" where they found it. It would have likely still happened...just not where it did happen.

BTW, I added that one because I know it's a four hour drive from where he was in Anamosa to Des Plains. In a twisted way I thought it was cool I got to check out the mini golf course he helped build, to walk on it and stuff....