[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#5 Overall Pick

#5 Overall pick?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. E. James, C. Portis, or P. Manning

• E. James
    • C. Portis
    • P. Manning

I am drafting with the 5th overall pick in a 10 team league. Looks like the first 4 picks are set in stone (Johnson, Tomlinson, Alexander, and Barber) from talking to people in my league so far. I like James's upside in playing on the up and comming Cardinals, but has that o-line been addressed enough for him to justify me taking him with the 5th overall pick?? I really DO NOT like Portis, nor do I like the offensive system that he plays in. James SHOULD have a better statistical season that Portis, but it's all up to the shaky o-line in AZ. Last off.. Manning. Do I take him this early? I mean he SHOULD be passing more with the loss of James, and each year he is a slow starter, but always finishes out the season as the best fantasy QB (arguably the best QB in the league). That puts me at a big disadvantage without a star RB. I'd be going against the way I've drafted for the past 7 years. Any advice????

I am drafting with the 5th overall pick in a 10 team league. Looks like the first 4 picks are set in stone (Johnson, Tomlinson, Alexander, and Barber) from talking to people in my league so far. I like James's upside in playing on the up and comming Cardinals, but has that o-line been addressed enough for him to justify me taking him with the 5th overall pick?? I really DO NOT like Portis, nor do I like the offensive system that he plays in. James SHOULD have a better statistical season that Portis, but it's all up to the shaky o-line in AZ. Last off.. Manning. Do I take him this early? I mean he SHOULD be passing more with the loss of James, and each year he is a slow starter, but always finishes out the season as the best fantasy QB (arguably the best QB in the league). That puts me at a big disadvantage without a star RB. I'd be going against the way I've drafted for the past 7 years. Any advice????

Don't talk to people in your league about draft strategy! Are you nuts?! Take PORTIS at #5. You won't be sorry. If you just don't like Portis for whatever reason, don't let your team suffer for your personal reasons. I wouldn't risk Edge @ #5. If you pick one of the following guys you won't be sorry but the guy in the 6th spot will owe you a beer when he gets Portis.. (#5 choices= Rudi, Lamont, SJacks, Caddy, and Ronnie) It's very hard to believe you've been play FF for the past 7 years! How many league championships have you won by getting Qbs in the 1st round? Hasselbeck, Brady, and Palmer all have a chance to post big #s every year. I would never get a QB in the 1st round.

That's just it. I've never taken a QB in the first round, and still believe that you can get a quality QB in rounds 4-6. I've won $$ in this league the past 3 years. I just dont see that much upside in Portis. I dont know. Still got a few days before the draft. I have a strong feeling however that #4 will take Portis over Barber. If that's the case, then it's clear cut. I'd take Barber. And do you really think that Rudi, Lamont, and SJack (well maybe he will) will all have better years than the Edge? I dont see it. Oh well.. Advice is what I asked for..

Portis has improved his yds per carry and TDs in year two w/ the Skins. W/ Al Saunders joining the team, he will run even more, and probably catch 45-55 passes. If you don't recognize Portis' value, we can't help you.

I have a strong feeling however that #4 will take Portis over Barber. If that's the case, then it's clear cut. I'd take Barber. Oh well.. Advice is what I asked for..

Portis then Barber

That's just it. I've never taken a QB in the first round, and still believe that you can get a quality QB in rounds 4-6. I've won $$ in this league the past 3 years. I just dont see that much upside in Portis. I dont know. Still got a few days before the draft. I have a strong feeling however that #4 will take Portis over Barber. If that's the case, then it's clear cut. I'd take Barber. And do you really think that Rudi, Lamont, and SJack (well maybe he will) will all have better years than the Edge? I dont see it. Oh well.. Advice is what I asked for..

Just check their stats. Ronnie was a rook sharing with Ricky. Caddy was a rook but got injured. SJacks had a coach who loved passing too much. Lamont and Rudi are consistent. Don't get me wrong I think Edge is the man. I just have no faith in that O-Line. Write this down: "Barring injury Lamont, Rudi, Ronnie, Sjacks, and Cadillac will have 1400+ yds and 12 tds." Great #s for your RB1. If Edge gets those #s behind that line, then he should go straight to the Hall.

i initially wasnt that high on portis this year either. figured he was one of the next 5 or 6 after the big 3 that you could take a chance on. pick any and it wouldnt matter. but after some studying, portis is difinitely a strong pick. take a closer look at his performance last year. it was better than i remembered and it should only get better with saunders calling the plays.

I hate Portis Too, But I'd take him at #5 without much hesitation.

Vader

I hate Portis Too, But I'd take him at #5 without much hesitation.

Vader

I have the #4 pick. It is not that I hate Portis, I could care less if I like someone or not. I think the risk with Portis is definitely the QB position. If Brunell stays healthy, Portis does fine, if not, Portis could disappoint with defenses stacking the line. I am thinking about trading down to #7 and taking Ronnie Brown. In our 10 team league, the #4 spot drafts 4,17, 27, 34 and the #7 spot drafts 7,14, 24, 37. It rotates every 4 rounds that way. It really helps take away the huge advantage of being in the top 3 spots.