[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kicker's

I know most of you would rather jab a fork in your eye, than talk about kickers...but they are a part of the game and can make a difference in a win or a loss.

So; do you like a kicker on a great offence, like the Colts or one that may stall out and settles for the FGA?

The good off. can get you a ton of extra points and mix in a FG, do you look for that, a kicker that has a bunch of FGA's or do you have other thoughts on what to look for??

Sorry about the "fork in the eye", but i think i have the rest of my positions ranked out! Thanks!!

There isn't too much difference between the top 10 kickers according to my chart. After them,it is down hill. The problem is, you can really only guesstimate 5 out of the top 10 for any given year like rackers last year. I would take one shortly after the first 3 are taken but don't do it unless you don't have to.

Value pick kickers are the way to go. Never, EVER reach for last year's stud, because they rarely repeat from year to year. And 3-5 nobody kickers usually come out of no where to finish in the top 12, so kicker is really the easiest position to find good value off waivers during the season.

Akers will probably fall farther than he has in past years. I've also been a fan of taking Rian Lindell (Bills) late the last two years, and that's worked out well. Josh Brown (SEA) and Nate Kaeding (SD) are also guys who do a servicable job, and can usually be had after the first 6 kickers go off the board.

I love it when guys draft the "stud" kickers in the middle rounds. I love it even more when they hang on to them all year even though they are 20th in points in the league. That happened with Vinateri and Vanderjagt last year. The guys who watched closely and grabbed Feeley or Rackers around mid season made out.

Often the best kickers are on teams with good defense but poor red zone offense. Thus they are in close games, get good field position but fail to convert TDs and thus kick a lot of FGs.

The best thing to do is wait until the last round, take the highest rated kicker and see what happens. If you need to, check the free agents around week 5 or 6 and see who the top kickers are. It is pointless to even try to predict who those top names will be, but look for teams like I mentioned above.

personally i like kickers in high scoring offenses

But not too high...Vinatieri kicked a lot of XPs last season and not enough FGs to make him a viable starter. Yet so many owners held on to him because of his name and the fact they wasted a middle round pick to get him. A good reason to wait for your kicker and watch the free agents.

A kicker in a good offense is best.

Example: Last season

Rackers Cardinals or Jason Hanson Lions? Hanson is a better kicker but Rackers scored more.

The Cardinals were a terrible offense. Rackers kicked 40 field goals because the team had no running game and could not convert TDs.

The Cardinals were a terrible offense. Rackers kicked 40 field goals because the team had no running game and could not convert TDs.

I initially thought the same thing, but in reality, AZ got a lot of total yards (8th most). Just not many TDs (tied for 6th fewest). So while I wouldn't quite say they had a "terrible offense" I do think it's fair to say their offense didn't find the endzone much. Which, if you think about it, is a perfect setting for a kicker: a team that can move the ball into FG range, but can't score the TDs.

Edited by yo mama

I initially thought the same thing, but in reality, AZ got a lot of total yards (8th most). Just not many TDs (tied for 6th fewest). So while I wouldn't quite say they had a "terrible offense" I do think it's fair to say their offense didn't find the endzone much. Which, if you think about it, is a perfect setting for a kicker: a team that can move the ball into FG range, but can't score the TDs.

I meant a terrible offense from a "real" perspective, i.e., scoring points, winning games, making the playoffs type of stuff. This is one of those situations where a team's shortcoming is good for fantasy purposes. Similar to an inept offense being good for IDP players -- the defense is on the field more, giving your linebackers, DLs and DBs more chances to make tackles and sacks.

put who you think the 20 best kickers on a dart board, throw a dart, and pick that kicker in the LAST round. you have a better chance of getting it right this way than any other.

Value pick kickers are the way to go. Never, EVER reach for last year's stud, because they rarely repeat from year to year.

I totally don't disagree with anything except the highlighted portion.

8 of the top 12 kickers in 05 were in the top 12 in 04, same with 04 to 03.

I totally don't disagree with anything except the highlighted portion.

8 of the top 12 kickers in 05 were in the top 12 in 04, same with 04 to 03.

That's not what I meant. I mean the #1 kicker rarely stays the same from year to year. Because outside the top 1-2 kickers, there is a steep drop off in production. Ergo, it is frequently ill advised merely to reach for last year's leader. Yeah, he'll likely end up in the top 12. But it's even more likely that he'll settle back down and perform comperably to someone who goes in the last round, or totally undrafted.

But I get what you meant, and have no reason to doubt the facts behind your comment.

Vinatieri should get lots of opportunity this year. What you basically want is an offense that can move the ball but isn't going to be good at sticking it in the endzone (what AZ was last year. Rackers will be good but his numbers should be hurt by the addition of Edge).

I agree with all the other comments about the inability to predict kickers. Just look at their year to year - it's incredibly erratic. My strategy is this: put together a list of 10-14 kickers based on the size of your league (I'm in a 10). Don't spend much time on it, but maybe put a couple near the top.

If you draft, say, 16 rounds, chuckle when someone grabs Vinatieri in the 12th. Then laugh as 7 others go by in the 13-15th.

Pick from whoever's left in round 16. I'll guarantee you that at least 2 of your 10 will remain, because kickers are so subjective and erratic.

And, anyway, you'll probably need to pick up a kicker on waivers for the bye week, by which point someone will be starting to emerge as a sleeper of the season - grab THAT guy.

I'd rather be the first to grab a kicker off waivers than the 1st to waste a pick in the 12th, when you can still be unearthing RB or WR sleepers, or getting your D.

But that's just me.