Sign in to follow this  
PantherDave

Carolina Vinegar-Mustard base BBQ Sauce.

I'm getting Pope a Carolina BBQ sauce care package together, but my family has had one for years that my Mom's father invented many years ago(before I was born) and I called Momma PD to make sure she was OK with me sharing it-she said yes, as her dad ,CD, would have gotten pleasure from people enjoying it.

CD's BBQ Sauce(We use it primarily on chicken-just grill the chicken, break it apart and throw it in a bowl and add the sauce, it can be used on pork as well)

1/2 cup regular vinegar

1 stick butter melted

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 to 2 tablespoons yellow mustard(we use just one)

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons whostershire sauce

Tabasco-to taste

Crushed Red Pepper-to taste

Enjoy authentic Carolina Mustard base BBQ sauce, from my family to yours, Bon Appetite-Peace PD.

Is there a carolina family sauce recipe you use for pulled pork? I'm getting a hankering to smoke a pork butt and I'm looking for a new sauce.

Omit the butter and mustard and substitue 1 tablespoon tomato paste and 1/2 can small tomato juice.

Edited by PantherDave

Is there a carolina family sauce recipe you use for pulled pork? I'm getting a hankering to smoke a pork butt and I'm looking for a new sauce.

Try a dry rub on the Boston Butt, with a mustard/vinegar mop while cooking, instead of sauce, it's dynamite!

Ooooo, I can't wait to give this a try.

ok... i do remember this.....

i just don't instantly think of mustard when i think bbq

I actually just used this as a 40-60 compliment to my regular BBQ sauce, and it tastes AWESOME. I'm going to be putting it on some pulled pork tomorrow. Can't wait. :wacko:

I actually just used this as a 40-60 compliment to my regular BBQ sauce, and it tastes AWESOME. I'm going to be putting it on some pulled pork tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

I ate at a BBQ joint in Carolina that did this. And you are right: the combo was real good. :wacko:

I use a very similar sauce with my smoked butts - freakin' killer. Mustard sauces are very uncommon here, but once people try it - they rave.

I actually just used this as a 40-60 compliment to my regular BBQ sauce, and it tastes AWESOME. I'm going to be putting it on some pulled pork tomorrow. Can't wait. :wacko:

Bump. My wife is begging for pulled pork sandwiches again, so I'm going to need this one soon. :D

Using this recipe again tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thanks again, PD. :wacko:

I don't know if you saw this before Swiss, but if you're interested in doing a compare and contrast, I'd love to hear the results.

Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce

Edited by Kid Cid

Using this recipe again tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thanks again, PD. :wacko:

How long do you simmer it? What is the final consistency that you are looking for? Sounds good and want to try this weekend.

I don't know if you saw this before Swiss, but if you're interested in doing a compare and contrast, I'd love to hear the results.

Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce

I did check out that link and followed that recipe to an extent, but I didn't use any tomato paste -- when I make pulled pork, I combine mustard sauce with my homemade tomato-based stuff. So, I didn't want to over-tomato it.

That said, it was very tasty. Definitely more mustardy than PD's recipe, but once you realize that, it's excellent.

Sign in to follow this