[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barlow / Gore ?

rhino

So, what's going on in SF? I understand the starting role is up for grabs. But, Barlow started preseason game #1. Had 1 carry, 2 yds. Then Gore comes in and rips off 10 carries for 49 yds, 1 TD; 5 recs for 32 yds.

Was Barlow hurt? He never came back in.

What's the story in SF?

this is a RBBC imo

I just don't get it though

Barlow is terrible, always has been, always will be

Gore on the other hand, healthy, is showing a lot of promise and could be a feature back

Why do they insist on holding on to Barlow

Makes no sense to me

Yes Gore has a history of injuries, but hes got the talent and the drive, why not hand him the ball 25 times a game and see what he does with it, if he gets injured then they could go back to the big let down Barlow

This seems like such a no brainer, what am I missing?

Gore will be the starter when everything begins or shortly there after. Barlow has had his opportunities for the past couple of years and he has shown what he can't do.

I can see SF winning a few more games this year, just because no one respects them. But if I were the coach I would have to consider throwing the games in order to get the 1st pick of the next draft.

When has Norv Turner ever used RBBC? Gore is a better runner and Barlow just hangs on from the previous regime.

I totally agree. Norv almost gaurantees that this will not be a RBBC. This is Gore's job to lose.

But if I were the coach I would have to consider throwing the games in order to get the 1st pick of the next draft.

How idiotic does this sound?

1. Coaches at the highest level of competition keep their jobs by winning games, not losing them.

2. No guarantee they can lose enough to get the first pick.

3. They don't need another QB, which is most likely the top pick next year.

4. If a coach is losing games in hopes that a junior RB comes out early next year... he is an idiot.

5. If their 2006 season depends upon a 2007 rookie, they should not be coaching at the pro level.

6. If their 2007 season depends upon a 2007 rookie, they should not be coaching at the pro level.

Reality versus fantasy coaching.

Any idiot can coach a fantasy team, only select idiots can coach pro teams. :D

Norv Turner does power runs and that fits Barlow. You have an offense going for a 2 TE look, protect their young QB to give him some time. This scheme needs a bigger back simply put. Gore needs a spread look and Alex Smith isn't ready for that. But Gore is too talented not to use with his big-play ability and catching.

This is how I see the SF offense even though Turner has never used a RBBC, just my opinion. Wouldn't be the first time I looked like an ass!

There was a time when Barlow looked really good with Garrison Hearst, that line disappeared by the time it was his turn. This line still has holes, injuries n all. maybe Larry Allen has some gas left in the tank, this team can sure use a mauler

Norv Turner does power runs and that fits Barlow. You have an offense going for a 2 TE look, protect their young QB to give him some time. This scheme needs a bigger back simply put. Gore needs a spread look and Alex Smith isn't ready for that. But Gore is too talented not to use with his big-play ability and catching.

This is how I see the SF offense even though Turner has never used a RBBC, just my opinion. Wouldn't be the first time I looked like an ass!

There was a time when Barlow looked really good with Garrison Hearst, that line disappeared by the time it was his turn. This line still has holes, injuries n all. maybe Larry Allen has some gas left in the tank, this team can sure use a mauler

I think this is the first statement I have seen here on the huddle that most accurately reflects San Fran's situation.

Barlow was injured.

I have no idea what they're thinking not having Gore as the announced starter, he's much more versatile then Barlow and his ability to catch the ball will be a nice security blanket for the young Smith.

I think Nolan wants to at least give the impression that the position is up for grabs, even though, I dont think it is.

I can see SF winning a few more games this year, just because no one respects them. But if I were the coach I would have to consider throwing the games in order to get the 1st pick of the next draft.

1. Coaches at the highest level of competition keep their jobs by winning games, not losing them.

4. If a coach is losing games in hopes that a junior RB comes out early next year... he is an idiot.

5. If their 2006 season depends upon a 2007 rookie, they should not be coaching at the pro level.

6. If their 2007 season depends upon a 2007 rookie, they should not be coaching at the pro level.

7. Wins generate ticket sales. Ticket sales mean more profit. Do we need to explain that making money is the bottom line to any business?

8. At some point, you need to begin a culture of winning

Barlow is leftover from the Donahue mistake and has never lived up to his contract. Gore is a Nolan guy, but had surgery on his shoulder during the off season, and has had surgery on both knees prior to coming to the pros. Nolan wants to keep Gore fresh and doesn't want to overwork him, so Barlow will take some carries. Gore hits the hole better and catches the ball much better. Barlow also has a bad habit of holding the ball like a discus thrower and is prone to a careless fumble.

Bottom line, Gore should be the starter barring injury and Barlow should be gone after this season. Michael Robinson actually has looked better than Barlow, and when he fully understands the pro system, I see him being the 3rd down back rather than Barlow.

:D

Guess Barlow also hurt his shoulder on the play.

Briefly: Bears cornerback Nathan Vasher, who returned a missed Joe Nedney field-goal attempt a NFL record 108 yards in a 49ers' loss last November, was injured on the Bears' fourth defensive play after colliding with running back Kevan Barlow. Barlow also injured his thigh and shoulder on the play and was taken out of the game. "I got a little bit of payback," Barlow said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGE6KHFJA1.DTL

Guess he was holding a grudge?

Depending upon perspective, he either showed some fire or showed some stupidity.

Guess Barlow also hurt his shoulder on the play.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGE6KHFJA1.DTL

Guess he was holding a grudge?

Depending upon perspective, he either showed some fire or showed some stupidity.

Not even a hint of smoke. Not even smoldering.

My bet is on stupidity.