[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CRAZY Auction Strategy - Did anyone spend 80% of their money on

Nabb

Typical performance scoring.

I have an auction this weekend. we get $100 for 15 spots. start 2 RBs.

Did anyone decide to take the gamble (either this year or last year) and p*ss away almost 80% of their auction money taking 2 of the 3 BIG RB's (L.T., L.J. or ALexander)

How did you do - if you did it last year?

DId the rest of your team suck?

I this a really bad idea or genious?

Edited by Nabb

About three years ago, I spent (pretty much) all my money on Culpepper, SAlexander and (iirc) Tomlinson. (Again, iirc) I had only about $5 above the minimum bids to sprinkle around on other players above the minimum bid (which was $1)...so, I got Chad Johnson in his second season for like $4 (using $3 of the $5 'extra' dollars) and Jerry Porter (or maybe it was Darrell Jackson?) for $2 (using another $1 of the remaining $2 extra dollars) ... don't remember who I spent the other one on ... but, I ended up with a HUGH lineup and walked away with the trophy.

2 seasons ago I bought Edge and Alexander for $100 of my $200 cap money. We draft a total of 17 players, so I was pretty well spent out as far as big name people. I made moves like taking a chance on Javon Walker (his breakout year) for a whopping $7, also picked up Michael Clayton for $1 and Jason Witten for $1 - both turned out to be great bargains as well. Another guy bought Tomlinson and Rudi Johnson for $96 / $200.

This was the first and only auction draft in the 7 years with that league. What a fiasco - we counted on people keeping track of their own money - 1 guy spent an extra $20, another guy picked too many RB's. I am not sure how a typical auction draft is handled, but we drew for an order, and in that order we started the bidding on whichever player we chose. This definitelt worked to your advantage later on when nobody had much money over the minimum.

Spending 80% is pretty bad in my opinion - it would leave you at the mercy of getting relatively bad QB / WR. If there are some sleepers / rookies that you like you may get by. To me, it wouldn't be worth it unles your scoring system HEAVILY favors running backs.

Just my 2 cents.

Just drafted tonight. With a cap of $250, LJ went for $115, SA for $110, LT2 and Manning each went for $100, Tiki for $92.

It was a really tough auction, players usually don't go this high in this league.

Say you try this ... Pour all your money into two stud RBs and then fill in with injury returns, hopefuls, wannabees, and favorable schedules ...

QB: Bulger, Kitna

RB: Alexander, Tomlinson, FGore, MMorris, MTurner

WR: DJax, GJennings, TWilliamson, RBrown, BEdwards

TE: BWatson, EKinney (wish ZHilton had panned out)

K: Gostkowski

DEF: Jax

Not sure what your league parameters are, or what actual values of these are, but tried to stay away from guys who would command big dollars -- and go with guys who might be left after the bidding frenzy on the higher profile, more proven players at their positions might be ... Warner or Culpepper might be possibles, though Culp might be showing a bit toooo much too early to steal ...

I think for one year in one league, it would be an entertaining experiment.