Sign in to follow this  
gowest

Thoughts on this draft strategy?

I have the #3 pick this year and plan to take the leftover out of LJ, LT, and SA. For sake of discussion only, let's say I'll get Alexander.

The mock drafts I've seen all look about the same for my next 2 picks: I'll get one of the last elite receivers and a decent 2nd tier RB. However, because I'm not enamored with any of those 2nd tier RBs -- at least not much more so than guys like Frank Gore, Mike Bell, or Warrick Dunn (now that Duckett is gone), which I can draft a round or two later -- I'm seriously considering the idea of going RB-WR-WR.

Obviously this will depend on who is available, but what do you think of the strategy?

The way I see it, if I stick to the usual strategy of two RBs in the first 3 rounds, I'll end up with something like this:

RB-RB-WR (or RB-WR-RB): Alexander, Willie Parker, Harrison (and then the WR2 probably would be someone like Roy Williams, Donald Driver, etc.)

BUT IF I CHANGED STRATEGIES, it might play out like this:

RB-WR-WR: Alexander, Harrison, Boldin (and then try to get Gore/M. Bell/Dunn, etc. as a RB2 and RB3).

Thoughts on this strategy? I draft tonight. Thanks in advance.

This can work out nicely but you will be very thin at RB. But your WRs need to have monster years. At least 10 TDs.

You might not even get the RBs you mentioned depending where you draft.

very very very risky taking wr's that early..in that quantity. if you go through with this ballsy move..be prepared to be shot in the foot and for your fantasy season to end early and another 10 months to go by before your next chance....remember that!

There is a reason RBs go first. Not simply because they outscore WRs but the fact that they are scarce (and more consistent scorers).

This will be a big risk if you cant land a decent #2 RB. Not saying you shouldnt do that but don't go into the draft with that mentality. See what goes on and decide then.

There is a reason RBs go first. Not simply because they outscore WRs but the fact that they are scarce (and more consistent scorers).

This will be a big risk if you cant land a decent #2 RB. Not saying you shouldnt do that but don't go into the draft with that mentality. See what goes on and decide then.

AND...if you are deep at RB you can trade down the road for a nice WR if you need to.

the only players I would take in the 2nd other than a RB are....

CJ, Fitz, Gates and Holt....the rest of the WR's have some sort of problem that makes me uneasy...

I have used that strategy succesfully several times. It's all about value. You can get mediocre RB's or two stud WR's I agree it should be a RB in the first rd but going back to back with WR's in 2&3 is a smart move. You may even start a run on WR's leaving some decent backs out there for you. Even if there isn't a run you should stil be able to add a decent #2RB (Eg. Chester Taylor). There are a lot of RB sleepers out there you can be nabbing while everyone is searching for WR's from a depleted pool. Note: In our league we start three WR's making this even more of a smart move. Good luck.

I'd be surprised if at least one solid RB does not fall to you in the 2nd round. But, if one doesn't, and two WRs you LOVE fall to your 2nd and 3rd round spots, then I'd see no problem going that route. But, I would then take RBs with BOTH of your next two picks. Theoretically, having one of LT/LJ/SA, and using the other RB slot to alternate RBs picked in the 4th and 5th rounds based upon matchups will give you above-average RB production overall.

Makes sense to me. I have the #2 pick in an upcoming draft, and can see taking 2 WR (or one + Gates), then coming back with RB's in rounds 4 & 5.

Edited by LegFuJohnson

Lots of good views here. Thanks, and keep it coming. My draft is in 2 hours!

Regardless, I'm just going to draft depending on how things come to me in the second round. A stud RB is a lock, so I'll have a good start. And it looks like some people agree it wouldn't be completely absurd to go RB-WR-WR if there isn't a second RB that stands out and there ARE two WRs that stand out.

Any more thoughts? Anyone else done this successfully? I think it's a better strategy this year than most years, given the number of RBs that are interchangeable and the relatively large number of top tier WRs (compared to prior years, where it was always just Moss/Owens/Harrison).

I have the 8th pick in a 12 person draft, and I have been seriously thinking going WR WR RB RB TE RB QB.

We have high pro scoring, and 1pt per reception, so going:

1. Steve Smith

2. Fitz/CJ

3. Droughns

4. Dunn

5. Gore/maybe TE or QB here

I think this not only gives you 2 sure fire studs, plus the tier of back you get in 3rd and 4th are about the same as the 2nd, maybe even the end of the 1st.

It almost worked out to take WRs with my second and third picks, but I opted for Chester Taylor in the third round instead of Moss (who was available to me). But the RBs were nearly all gone and I didn't think a good one like Taylor would get back to me in the 4th round (I picked from the 3rd spot, serpentine style, so it was going to be a while), so I went with the RB. Started RB-WR-RB instead of the RB-WR-WR possibility discussed above.

My picks were: (1) Alexander, (2) Fitzgerald, (3) Taylor, (4) Mason, (5) Jamal Lewis, (6) Crumpler, (7) Bledsoe, (8) Panthers, (9) M. Barber, (10) Givens, (11) Wilford, (12) Roddy White, (13) Favre, (14) Bradford, (15) Kitna, and (16) Morency. I still need to drop someone to add a kicker, but I'll figure that out in a week or so.

Edited by gowest

I had 2nd in one of my drafts. I grabbed LT, then I grabbed C. Johnson and then Wayne, came back around and got C. Taylor then grabbed E. Manning

The rest of my RB's were Gore, Benson D. Williams and L. White

You could say my RB's are weak but with LT Im not concerned I also picked up D. Driver, Crumper, Bledsoe and Atlanta D with Vint as my K.

Im happy with it.

But it depends on how others are drafting you really have to wait and see. Its tough to go in with a plan.

During my draft, I really grabbed all the Tier 1's I could, I drafted a TE at 3 to get Gonzo in one league but 2 rounds later, Crumpler was still sitting there, So I grabbed him too possibly as trade bait.

I think you can only plan on the first pick and go from there, Someone may grab payton as early as #4 and someone else may grab a WR in the first round, then everything is on the fly from there.

Good Luck