[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball Sucks

TonyMantana

Baseball will always be America. It is a reflection of our nation. It's really quite simple. If you've never seen "Baseball" by Ken Burns (which I would guess you haven't since it's a 20 hour documentary on the sport you find boring) then it's hard to explain. Trust me on this one. :D

Baseball is not America that's just what momo announcers say and people over 65.

Baseball is not America that's just what momo announcers say and people over 65.

Baseball is set to break it's own attendance record for the third year in a row, drawing 76,000,000 fans this year. If you think it's dying, you're way off base. :D

Linky

By comparison, football will draw about 17,000,000.

I love baseball, so my views will be skewed abit. But to say soccer is a more exciting game is INSANE!! I don't know how people watch it, well in America we DON'T. Soccer is extremely boring, games that take hours only for noone to score??? What's that all about??? I got into a discussion at work about soccer and baseball, someone telling me baseball is boring, the announcers are boring, etc. He said, "Did you ever hear how excited a soccer announcer gets when someone scores a goal?". My response was, "If you just announced your 1,000th game and that was only the 6th or 7th goal you seen, you'd be excited too".

I love baseball, so my views will be skewed abit. But to say soccer is a more exciting game is INSANE!! I don't know how people watch it, well in America we DON'T. Soccer is extremely boring, games that take hours only for noone to score??? What's that all about??? I got into a discussion at work about soccer and baseball, someone telling me baseball is boring, the announcers are boring, etc. He said, "Did you ever hear how excited a soccer announcer gets when someone scores a goal?". My response was, "If you just announced your 1,000th game and that was only the 6th or 7th goal you seen, you'd be excited too".

Have you any idea how hard it is to score in soccer?

No, I thought not.

Have you any idea how hard it is to score in soccer?

No, I thought not.

I know its hard to score in soccer, but its boring, if they never bring scoring up IT WILL NEVER be watched in America, who likes to see 0-0 games??? Not me for 1. I mean would you watch basketball if noone was gonna score?? I mean why run around like a maniac for no payoff?? Maybe I'm being narrow minded, but I think not cause I am just one of MILLIONS Americans who think this sport sucks. It has the qualities to be a great game, lots of action, guys hitting each other, but the drawback is no goals. I'm not wasting a couple of hours watching this game. I'll turn it on at the end when they get to the best part of the game, the shootout.

I know its hard to score in soccer, but its boring, if they never bring scoring up IT WILL NEVER be watched in America, who likes to see 0-0 games??? Not me for 1. I mean would you watch basketball if noone was gonna score?? I mean why run around like a maniac for no payoff?? Maybe I'm being narrow minded, but I think not cause I am just one of MILLIONS Americans who think this sport sucks. It has the qualities to be a great game, lots of action, guys hitting each other, but the drawback is no goals. I'm not wasting a couple of hours watching this game. I'll turn it on at the end when they get to the best part of the game, the shootout.

It's watched literally everywhere else. What does that tell us?

The person who said it matters which sport you played as a kid is dead on - that whole nostalgia thing kicks in to build upon the 'cost and opportunity' angle. Most people grew up in the US with 'the big 3' of baseball, football and basketball (and/or hockey), while everywhere else futbol/soccer rules.

Golf, tennis, lacrosse, swimming are usually added later as we age here, whereas other countries may be lucky to have 1 or more other sports to add later, if any. Auto sports are unique and outside my theory - no one plays that at a young age without a lot of money.

A round ball (or 'ball' of rags, twine, etc,) and some dirt/grass are all you need for futbol/soccer, whereas you need more equipment/space to play the main American sports. Money and opportunity...

Back to the baseball specific issue, I agree that watching it on tv can be boring for the uninformed, especially compared to 'faster' sports like football, basketball, tennis or hockey. Soccer can also be very slow, and heck, golf is made to be slow. Baseball is quite fun to play and watch in person, but tv can be tough at first.

But just like anything else, the more you understand the strategy behind each move (pitch choice/placement, bunt, steal, placement of fielders, etc.) the more interesting it is to watch. That goes for every sport, guaranteed, if you think about. That's the way scoring becomes secondary, and a soccer/hockey/baseball fanatic can derive immense joy from a 0-0 or 2-1 game.

I'm somewhere in the middle here, but my faves for tv are football and basketball. But I was best at playing baseball. To each his own!

Edited by Coffeeman

Baseball is set to break it's own attendance record for the third year in a row, drawing 76,000,000 fans this year. If you think it's dying, you're way off base. :D

Linky

By comparison, football will draw about 17,000,000.

C'mon UM - unfair stat here. What is 76 / 162 games, vs. 17 / 16 games? The fans per game for football is higher. And duh, the stadiums seat more too; so we can go 'round and 'round. Figures lie and liars figure...

Edited by Coffeeman

• 2 weeks later...

This NFL Season...

1 Severe Concussion

1 Ruptured Spleen

This shows football is a tougher sport, but is that good?

These are serious injuries. Hope they end up ok.

Baseball Still Sucks. :D

EDIT: I do not like that guys end up dead or paralyzed playing a "game."

Edited by TonyMantana

C'mon UM - unfair stat here. What is 76 / 162 games, vs. 17 / 16 games? The fans per game for football is higher. And duh, the stadiums seat more too; so we can go 'round and 'round. Figures lie and liars figure...

Not trying to say baseball is more popular, just pointing out it's far from dead.