[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Rock and Roll Part 2"

DKF

The song will be subject to public performance royalties for the author(s) unless it was sold lock, stock and barrel to some other entity, who would then receive the royalties.

But in films, instead of paying royalties, filmmakers pay a flat fee to use the song.

So, if you're watching some movie, the performer/songwriter have already made all their money on the song whether or not you watch the movie or buy the DVD.

The song will be subject to public performance royalties for the author(s) unless it was sold lock, stock and barrel to some other entity, who would then receive the royalties.

I can almost guarantee it's not public domain. The frequency of playing a song is irrelevant, it is the time since creation that matters. R and R Part 2 came out in, I think, 1971 or 1972, so it has about 40 years to go before it becomes PD.

Skins? :D

Sure ask a typical republican about pedophiles. :D May as well just ask a priest. :shakesheadsadly:

But in films, instead of paying royalties, filmmakers pay a flat fee to use the song.

So, if you're watching some movie, the performer/songwriter have already made all their money on the song whether or not you watch the movie or buy the DVD.

You should be OK to carry on watching the swinging di(ks on The Full Monty, then. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I doubt teams have to pay royalties to play that song after TDs. They are not profiting from the song, people pay to see the game, therefore I doubt its copyright comes into play. Furthermore, there is a strong argument the song has become part of the public domain by now.

Are you kidding? You write a song, and someone plays your song at an event that they charge $$$ for? Damn right you're getting paid.

I guess this means you wouldn't mind the "Unofficial Song" (which is basically what it was) of your business being written by a convicted pedophile then I guess that is both your business, and a reflection of your business.

I don't know if Glitter gets royalties when it's played in stadiums, but if he does then this is long past due.

Ursa effectively summarized the feelings underlying my post, so I should probably let it go at that, but the "Unofficial Song" seems a bit off. The NFL isn't the only league that plays that song ad nauseum after a score. The NHL does as well, and I'm sure several other leagues do the same (Arena League perhaps, most minor league hockey teams, Lacrosse for all I know, etc.). Do I think that song reflects that business every time I hear it? Certainly not. That's a rather broad leap to a conclusion.

When I think of the NFL, I certainly don't think of a bunch of pedophiles running up and down the field. What if the NFL picks a new "Unofficial Song" recorded by Sinead O'Conner. Does that mean they are anti-Catholic? It's much to far a stretch to judge any organization by a song. It's a song for crying out loud, nothing more. Hyper sensitivity is getting out of hand.

And while I can't speak for how the NFL contracts are set up with playing music, in pro wrestling there used to be a flat fee for a federation to use a copyrighted song from a particular artist. Not sure if that changed however. If the NFL was on the flat fee basis, then the money has already gone, so there wouldn't be any more royalties. It also depends on how often they have to renew to keep using the song.

Ursa effectively summarized the feelings underlying my post, so I should probably let it go at that, but the "Unofficial Song" seems a bit off. The NFL isn't the only league that plays that song ad nauseum after a score. The NHL does as well, and I'm sure several other leagues do the same (Arena League perhaps, most minor league hockey teams, Lacrosse for all I know, etc.). Do I think that song reflects that business every time I hear it? Certainly not. That's a rather broad leap to a conclusion.

Not really. Just because another sports uses it doesn't mean it's an "Unofficial Song" of the NFL. ALthough i cannot find real numbers, how many stadiums play it after TDs? Over half? I think that's the number at least. It played in NE, NYG, KC and Den for sure.

The a few NHL teams have pulled it as well, and more are apparently going to as well. ANd just because the NHL may or may not use it doesn't mean it isn't an "Unofficial Song" for the NFL.

The NFL doesn't want to be associated with this guy, even remotely. What's the big deal? If you don't like it, then boycott the product! :D

The NFL doesn't want to be associated with this guy, even remotely. What's the big deal? If you don't like it, then boycott the product! :D

That is their right, of course, just as it is mine to accuse them of being a bunch of sanctimonious old farts and ignore their product. I won't of course, because whether this song is played or not, football remains the same. I'm just not a big fan of one of the world's worst moneygrubbers coming on all holier than thou, that's all.

Not really. Just because another sports uses it doesn't mean it's an "Unofficial Song" of the NFL. ALthough i cannot find real numbers, how many stadiums play it after TDs? Over half? I think that's the number at least. It played in NE, NYG, KC and Den for sure.

The a few NHL teams have pulled it as well, and more are apparently going to as well. ANd just because the NHL may or may not use it doesn't mean it isn't an "Unofficial Song" for the NFL.

Just to clear up confusion, did you consider this to be the "Unofficial Song" of the NFL or not?

I may not have been clear about why I don't consider that the "Unofficial Song" of the NFL. It isn't because other leagues use it, it's because I don't think of that song when I watch the NFL, and whenever I hear that song, I certainly don't associate it with the NFL. There are 2 pieces of music that I hear that I will associate with the NFL. The Monday Night Football opening theme, and the NFL on Fox opening theme. Those are the only pieces of music I associate with any sports league.

In a league full of prima donnas, malcontents, and it's own share of shady characters, getting on their collective high horse and saying "We will have none of that!" loses a little luster when they can't really keep their own house in order.

That being said, I'm still going to play FF this year, and watch the Vikings - a team with absolutely no character flaws.......................in the last 5 minutes as far as I know. :D

Pretty much, considering I only ever hear it in relation to football games, mainly NFL. I don't watch fights on skates, I mean NHL.

Or US Open tennis, where it has been played relentlessly this week, or NBA basketball.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Two sports that are perfect when you need a nap. Get over it. Or better yet, post a petition to keep the song if you want to. Cripes.

I've nothing to get over. I love the game of football and detest the NFL. They can play whatever they want - but don't pretend to be some kind of moral beacon in a sea of depravity because the NFL is actually a bag of $hit itself with all the moral rectitude of Fat Freddy's Cat.