[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade Advice - Keeper League

tomfin2000

12 team keeper league, standard scoring, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

I took over a team that was in pretty bad shape and built for the future through the draft:

QB: Delhomme, Farve

RB: McGahee, K. Jones, Gore, Lundy, Maroney, Norwood

WR: Mason, Horn, Coles, Edwards, Jennings

TE: Gonzo, Scheffler

K: Longwell

DEF: Colts

For simplicity's sake, let's just assume I can keep six players next year with no restrictions.

Should I trade Willis McGahee, Joe Horn, and Braylon Edwards for Edge, Reggie Wayne, and Mark Clayton?

for simplicity's sake, yes.

I see wayne like tory holt three years ago. this year or next year, he will outpoint Harrison and be a top 3 WR.

Horn is two years past his prime.

McGahee is a very good back but stuck on a lousy team and I'm not sure they're getting that much better in the next two years. Meanwhile, the Cardinals are close, they need another lineman or two and that should be addressed later this year or next at the latest. He might be past his prime, but he's got some left in the tank.

Edwards -- well, I just don't know if he's going to be able to stay on the field.

for the future, it's a good deal. for today, it's a bit of a risk.

12 team keeper league, standard scoring, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

I took over a team that was in pretty bad shape and built for the future through the draft:

QB: Delhomme, Farve

RB: McGahee, K. Jones, Gore, Lundy, Maroney, Norwood

WR: Mason, Horn, Coles, Edwards, Jennings

TE: Gonzo, Scheffler

K: Longwell

DEF: Colts

For simplicity's sake, let's just assume I can keep six players next year with no restrictions.

Should I trade Willis McGahee, Joe Horn, and Braylon Edwards for Edge, Reggie Wayne, and Mark Clayton?

In a keeper league:

McGahee over Edge

Wayne over Horn

Edwards over Clayton

This year I think Edge will be better than McGahee but I expect McGahee to be solid. I do love Wayne, but Horn is okay. And while I like Clayton barring injuries, which I know have happened to Edwards thus far, Edwards should clearly be better than Clayton who is soild but not anything more than a # 2 WR for his career I believe. So while Horn is the "worst" player in the deal long term I think the best 3 are clearly McGahee, Edwards, and Wayne and you give up two. So my answer would be if you are focusing mainly on this season maybe because for this year I think Clayton is last. But if you are trying to build a winner I rather have Edwards and McGahee 2 years from now then Wayne and Clayton.

Therein lies my dilemma. I go back and forth between funclown's take on the trade and G-Fan's take on the trade.

What's making me lean towards doing the trade is that out of the six players listed, Reggie Wayne is the one that I have the most confidence in. Because we can start (and keep) three WRs, I think as long as he's playing, he'll be starting for my team, especially since both he and Manning are locked up with long term deals.

By the same token, I can see plenty of scenarios where either Edge or McGahee would be replaced in another year or two given the relatively short shelf life of NFL backs in general and starting FFL fantasy backs in particular.

Tough call.

Well all I will add is McGahee is going to be 25 in 6 weeks. Edge is 28. If McGahee was 27 or 28 I'd agree but he isn't. On top of that Edwards is so full of potential it's scary. Again he has been hurt thus far but if he stays healthy watch out. Yes Wayne is a stud and I love him for the next few years, but to me the combo of a 25 year old McGahee and a 23 year old Edwards for the next few years is HUGH.