[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GADO TO HOUSTON FOR MORENCY

msaint

I was surprised that Gado made the team after a poor preseason showing. Based on how he looked against the Bears, I am even more confident that the Packers won't miss him. He was a nice story, but I didn't really understand the infatuation.

What the Packers have done in the last week is majorly upgraded their special teams with Koren Robinson and Morency. Anything above and beyond a better kickoff return average is gravy IMO.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't tell if this means houston likes dayne or hates him. it could mean they're happy enough with lundy/dayne to fiddle around and take a flyer on the nigerian, or it could mean they really feel like they need a bigger back to rely on behind lundy and they just weren't comfortable with first smith, and now dayne.

all this trade really tells me for sure is that a) houston is comfortable with lundy getting 80%+ of the work, and green bay is comfortable relying on ahman green. i still don't want anything to do with either one of them, though...not with the o-line play HOU and GB showed in week 1 :D

It's the periphery of the trade that the information lies. Both teams felt that their respective guy held little to no value for them. So rather than just cutting them or using them as nothing more than special teams fodder, they made a move to try to get a player that might improve their RB depth meaningfully.

What you can really read into the trade is that GB is very satisfied with A Green's progress, and HOU feels comfortable with Lundy & Dayne at RB. Otherwise HOU wouldn't have sent Morency packing, and GB wouldn't have moved Gado. Neither one of these guys was traded for to become next week's starter.

The fact that Sherman is the OC in Houston leads me to think that Gado will be given a chance to start, unless of course Lundy just goes nuts in the next few weeks. Over the summer we kept reading about how Gado was not picking up the new Green Bay system and at least from comments you read on the net that Noah Herron had seemed to move up over Gado did not bode well for Gado. Morency probably does meet the mold of Ahman Green better also. Anyway, I'm guessing you might see Gado starting at some point soon just to see if Houston has a better option. I would not lean on any Houston running back for more than anything other than backup support for the upcoming weeks.

From the Houston Texans website below also:

"Texans trade for Gado

September 13, 2006

By Nick Schenck

HoustonTexans.com

Head coach Gary Kubiak announced after practice Wednesday that the Texans and Green Bay Packers have agreed to swap running backs Vernand Morency and Samkon Gado.

The trade will become official once each player passes his physical, which could happen as soon as Thursday.

Playing under current Texans assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman last year in Green Bay, Gado (5-10, 226) gained 582 yards on 143 carries (4.1 avg.) and tied for the league lead among rookies with six rushing touchdowns. He also had 10 receptions for 77 yards (7.7 avg.) and another score.

Gado played in eight games with five starts in place of injured running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport. Gado missed the final two games after spraining his right knee.

Gado was originally signed by the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent from Liberty University. After spending some time on the Chiefs’ practice squad and being released, Green Bay signed him to their practice squad Oct. 17 before activating him 12 days later.

Known for his breakaway speed, Gado played his best game versus Detroit on Dec. 11. 2005. He gained 171 rushing yards and scored on a 64-yard touchdown run. He finished with 180 yards of total offense. In November, Gado earned NFL offensive Rookie of the Month honors.

A third-round pick in 2005, Morency played in 13 games with one start last season. He gained 184 rushing yards and scored two touchdowns. Playing behind rookie Wali Lundy this year, Morency rushed five times for 13 yards against the Eagles in Week 1.

"

The fact that Sherman is the OC in Houston leads me to think that Gado will be given a chance to start,

If that were the case, HOU would have made this move in preseason, not half way to week 2 games - especially since Morency had a good game in preseason week 3 and would have appeared to have higher value than he really did. Rarely are in-season trades any kind of impact trade, unless it is a team getting rid of a disgruntled player that they know won't be playing for them any more (ie - Branch to SEA). Gado is WAY behind the other RBs in HOU, despite his association with Sherman.

You could be right, but I sure wouldn't pick that side of any bet - the odds are too long.

I was surprised that Gado made the team after a poor preseason showing. Based on how he looked against the Bears, I am even more confident that the Packers won't miss him. He was a nice story, but I didn't really understand the infatuation.

What the Packers have done in the last week is majorly upgraded their special teams with Koren Robinson and Morency. Anything above and beyond a better kickoff return average is gravy IMO.

Thats a good way to look at it.

i can't tell if this means houston likes dayne or hates him. it could mean they're happy enough with lundy/dayne to fiddle around and take a flyer on the nigerian, or it could mean they really feel like they need a bigger back to rely on behind lundy and they just weren't comfortable with first smith, and now dayne.

all this trade really tells me for sure is that a) houston is comfortable with lundy getting 80%+ of the work, and green bay is comfortable relying on ahman green. i still don't want anything to do with either one of them, though...not with the o-line play HOU and GB showed in week 1 :D

I wouldnt really say Gado is a big back. They are both 5'10" with Lundy weighing in at 214 and Gado tipping the scales at 226. But I wouldn't necessarily consider Gado a "big" back.

I wouldn't bet on being right about anything in Houston at the moment, but I disagree that Gado is that far behind. Sherman coaching puts Gado ahead of the curve in this situation. You're right that trades once the season starts usually have little impact, but for this combination of player and coach it does make this situation a little different. How much, who knows, but I do put some value in it.

whoops... from the bronco billy statement earlier in the thread

"If that were the case, HOU would have made this move in preseason, not half way to week 2 games - especially since Morency had a good game in preseason week 3 and would have appeared to have higher value than he really did. Rarely are in-season trades any kind of impact trade, unless it is a team getting rid of a disgruntled player that they know won't be playing for them any more (ie - Branch to SEA). Gado is WAY behind the other RBs in HOU, despite his association with Sherman.

You could be right, but I sure wouldn't pick that side of any bet - the odds are too long."

Edited by Lonestar39

All y'all who are dissing PFT need to realize something: when they begin one of their pieces with "A league source has informed PFT that..." they have roughly a 100% accuracy rate.

Reallllyyyy Swiss.

Remember this one they started?

FAVRE RETIRING TODAY?

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.

So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

PFT later retracted this story, admitting that "their league sources" was actually a TV station in Minneapolis and that nobody from PFT ever really spoke with a member of the Packers organization, as they originally portrayed.

Talk about getting caught with your :D down.

Yeah they break the occasional story, but they're wrong more often that they're right.

I was blown away when PFT reported Philly's rookie Bunkley, as being brought up on gun charges when it was actually Gaffney...and even then it was a couple of months old news.

They couldn't even get what was on public record right. :D

Edited by Big Score 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the offense that Kubiak runs different from that of the West Coast Offense that Mike McCarthy runs? The zone blocking scheme may be the same, but the playbook is different.

For that reason, I give Dayne the edge over Gado for the backup spot behind Wali since Dayne worked with Kubiak in Denver and knows the playbook.

I wouldnt really say Gado is a big back. They are both 5'10" with Lundy weighing in at 214 and Gado tipping the scales at 226. But I wouldn't necessarily consider Gado a "big" back.

gado's a lot more of a "big back" than morency, which was my point...and that has as much to do with running style as it does physical measurables.

Imagine if you just got back in the country after two months away.

"So are the Texans still using Domanick Davis, Antowain Smith and Vernand Morency?"

" No - it's Wali Lundy, Ron Dayne and Sam Gado of course"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the offense that Kubiak runs different from that of the West Coast Offense that Mike McCarthy runs? The zone blocking scheme may be the same, but the playbook is different.

For that reason, I give Dayne the edge over Gado for the backup spot behind Wali since Dayne worked with Kubiak in Denver and knows the playbook.

I don't think the WCO factors in at all. Gado was cut because he couldn't pick up the WCO. That probably isn't a good sign, though, since Shanahan has a huge playbook with fairly complex decisions for RBs, especially in pass blocking, and I would imagine that Kubiak borrowed a lot of it. If Gado is slow to pick up on the WCO, he sure isn't going to pick up much of Kubiak's playbook while getting non-starter reps in practice during midseason.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Imagine if you just got back in the country after two months away.

"So are the Texans still using Domanick Davis, Antowain Smith and Vernand Morency?"

" No - it's Wali Lundy, Ron Dayne and Sam Gado of course"

Well this all looks likes good news to DD......if he can figure out where he misplaced his knee.

I am not sure since it is pure speculation at this point with nothing to go on.

Were it to happen, I would expect that Gado would just enter the RB rotation with Lundy in place of Morency and that Lundy would still be the better back. Gado had a few good games last year but he's not all that talented. There is a reason why he was never drafted and why he won't likely be a starting RB.

He had three big games last year - against ATL and their horrible rush def, against PHI in week 12 when they had fallen apart and against DET in week 14 when they had quit long before that. His results against PIT (26-62), MIN (10-7), CHI (20-75) were less than thrilling and GB had little reason to be running in those games.

I've not been a big fan of Gado really unless his situation is just right like most any RB.

Not to pick, but I distinctly remember hearing that said about Rod Smith too. :D

Ted Thompson might be the third worst GM in the league. :D

Yeah, he sure did bring in a bunch of bums to Seattle, then had a horrible draft this past year. Thompson is not responsible for this team not winning. They're rebuilding something that was in shambles. Thompson isnt the problem. McCarthy is.