[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edge James still a stud?

i_am_the_swammi

James got off to a decent start against SF production-wise, with a TD and enough yardage to keep Week 1 fantasy owners happy.

However, he faces a much tougher defense this week, and several websites recommend benching him in lieu of another solid #2 RB who could perform better.

Now I am a firm believer in always starting your studs. Even if James is held to 50-60 yards in Seattle, he is still the ONLY option near the goal line, and similar to last week, always has a good chance to score. In fact, I think this could be a sign of things to come...many 60-80 yard rushing days, 20-40 receiveing, and a TD every other week on average. Sounds middle-of-the road, but based on that, he'd still end the year with 1000-1200 yards rushing, probably another 300-400 receiving, and 8 TDs. Solid.

Less explosiveness on a game-by-game basis than he had in Indy, but solid production every week.

With all that being said, is it worth benching him when on paper, against a team like Seattle, he may have a tougher game? And what type of RB do you insert instead? This week, which of these typical #2 RB options would you opt for instead of James:

Dunn vs TB

Lewis vs. Oak

TBell vs KC

Foster @ MIN

Dillon @ NYJ

J. Jones vs WAS

Brown @ SD

T. Jones vs. DET

Bush @ GB

Looking at that list, other than perhaps Dunn, I would still start James.

Which I guess continues to make him a stud?

Until proven otherwise, I say he is a stud. How many times last year did Arizona's drives stall out because they had no running game and they had to settle for a field goal last year? They obviously have the passing game under control, and James becomes an asset in the running game.

They do have a poor offensive line, but James is no rookie either. His rushing value has diminished from when he was with Indy, but I think he could have more value at the goal line. Just my .02 cents.

James and the O-Line will continue to get better as they gel. Fred Wakefield is my next door neighbor...and I believe that by the end of the year James will be running tough. James ypc was not high but the dedication to the running game was admiarable.

Backs that I would trade Edge for straight up in heartbeat:

Alexander

Tomlinson

Tiki Barber

Backs that I would consider trading Edge for straight up:

Larry Johnson

Rudi Johnson

So, at most, there are five other RBs I would rather have than Edge right now. I think that still makes him a stud.

And as G-Fan will tell you, this is coming from a reformed Edge basher.

Backs that I would trade Edge for straight up in heartbeat:

Alexander

Tomlinson

Tiki Barber

Backs that I would consider trading Edge for straight up:

Larry Johnson

Rudi Johnson

So, at most, there are five other RBs I would rather have than Edge right now. I think that still makes him a stud.

And as G-Fan will tell you, this is coming from a reformed Edge basher.

Wow that's a pretty big admission from you Tom.

Edge is definitely still a Top 10 back, but he's not a stud anymore. If he can only muster 2.8 yds/carry against the 49ers, he's not going to do much against better defenses. If Arizona's defense hasn't improved or if Warner goes down with another injury, he'll have an even tougher time.

Wow that's a pretty big admission from you Tom.

Well, I had him in 2003, a year and a half removed from his knee injury. He started off very slow (which helped to put my team in a hole I couldn't climb out of) but finished strong in the second half of the season.

Then I had him in 2004 when he ran up and down the field but rarely got his number called inside the five yard line because Manning was trying to rewrite the record book.

I had back to back lousy seasons, and as my No. 1 draft pick both years, Edge incurred the bulk of my wrath for that. In retrospect, it really wasn't his fault. When he was fully heatlhy and given a fair amount of opportunty, he performed. I just happened to pick him in two years when the health and the opportunity weren't always there.

Edited by tomfin2000

I'm benching him for Steven Jackson and Frank Gore....and I'm even going to be AT the game watching the Edge......more potential for huge scores with SJack and Gore. I pulled the trigger THIS week due to match up and will be starting him many more games down the road.

Edge is definitely still a Top 10 back, but he's not a stud anymore. If he can only muster 2.8 yds/carry against the 49ers, he's not going to do much against better defenses. If Arizona's defense hasn't improved or if Warner goes down with another injury, he'll have an even tougher time.

id say anyone drafted in the first two rounds is a stud...its who you built your team around, why bench them? Edge got drafted in the first round for a reason..the guy will be a tier two rb at the end of the year and still be a hugh disappointment. Unless you had some umbelievable luck fall your way in a draft, i dont see how you can justify him on your bench.

alot of rb's taken in the first round put up numbers less than edge...where is the bench talk about them?

James got off to a decent start against SF production-wise, with a TD and enough yardage to keep Week 1 fantasy owners happy.

However, he faces a much tougher defense this week, and several websites recommend benching him in lieu of another solid #2 RB who could perform better.

Now I am a firm believer in always starting your studs. Even if James is held to 50-60 yards in Seattle, he is still the ONLY option near the goal line, and similar to last week, always has a good chance to score. In fact, I think this could be a sign of things to come...many 60-80 yard rushing days, 20-40 receiveing, and a TD every other week on average. Sounds middle-of-the road, but based on that, he'd still end the year with 1000-1200 yards rushing, probably another 300-400 receiving, and 8 TDs. Solid.

Less explosiveness on a game-by-game basis than he had in Indy, but solid production every week.

With all that being said, is it worth benching him when on paper, against a team like Seattle, he may have a tougher game? And what type of RB do you insert instead? This week, which of these typical #2 RB options would you opt for instead of James:

Dunn vs TB

Lewis vs. Oak

TBell vs KC

Foster @ MIN

Dillon @ NYJ

J. Jones vs WAS

Brown @ SD

T. Jones vs. DET

Bush @ GB

Looking at that list, other than perhaps Dunn, I would still start James.

Which I guess continues to make him a stud?

After seeing what Lt2 did to Oakland, and how the Chargers D totally decimated the Raider offense and hence the total team as a whole. And after seeing what Baltimore did to the Buc's. I would pick J Lewis over Edge.

Yes--for two reasons, IMO.

1. There is no one else in Arizona at RB of any consequence. Edge will be in the red zone mix and with the receiving corps that the Cards have, there will be room to run.

2. He is the most seasoned skill player. That locks him up for quality touches--Arizona wants to build around him. He'll catch passes for Warner as well.

While I would not call him a spring chicken, I think he's solid enough and in the right place to be a upper end producer.

Edited by Ruffian

We all knew that when James moved to AZ that evaluating James was over and now time to evaluate the AZ OFF. line. Too bad for James' yardage numbers -- but if Warner stays healthy a few more rushing TDs. The bottom line was that James was no longer a 1st round pick, but a elite 2nd rounder. His overall value decreased.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm changing my position on Edge. I'm now going to have to take matchups into consideration before automatically starting him over Gore, Maroney, or Kevin Jones.

I don't blame Edge for this though. I blame that horrific o-line. My mistake was believing that they could only get better as the season wore on. Obviously, they're getting worse.

Edited by tomfin2000

Not a great today, but I did not expect one at Atlanta.

I'm 4-0 in a 12 team league with Edge as my first round pick, so I'm happy. Not huge production, but at least I didn't take Ronnie Brown, Stephen Jackson, Lamont Jordan or Cadillac Williams instead of Edge.